Thread: Lynx (good eating or not)

Default Lynx (good eating or not)

Some of the people here in my village occassionally catch lynx, most are hunted. People used to set traps for them back when I was younger. I have heard from some hunters and trappers that lynx is pretty good eating, have any of you ate lynx before ?
    I also have a few friends from Washington that really enjoy eating wild species of the cat family like lynx, bobcat, mountain lion, and so forth. Another friend of mine from Hawaii (an Elder) told me he has eaten meat from every species of wild cat that he has ever killed. He is a hunter and has traveled to many different countries, he said he ate meat from lion, tiger, jaguar, leopard, cheetah, lynx, bobcat and other species too. I asked him if he has ever eaten meat from a housecat, he said he has thought about it but so far has not.
    Seems to me that if the lynx's primary diet is snowshoe hare that the meat would be pretty good eating.

I've only had lynx once, but it was great! We put it into stir-fry. It's fairly light meat, so it has a mild flavor. If I ever am lucky enough to take one either while calling or trapping, I'll most certainly eat it again.

I too have only had it once. It was very tasty. Once you get past the part that you are about to eat a cat, it's all good from there. I suggest everyone try it.

Mark

I also ate it once at a wild game feed. It was pretty good. I'd certainly eat it again.

Makes me look at my wife's cat in a new light............

I ate one that I trapped last year and thought that it was very good. It fed four adults and two children. Everyone enjoyed it except one guy that couldn't get over the whole cat thing.

I guess the next post should be "How to cook a lynx" Cause I'd sure try iut if I knew how to cook.

I've eaten mt. lion and it was delicious. I don't imagine a lynx would be much different.

If you had an oven big enough you could just cook the whole thing like a big rabbit.

I ate Lynx fajitas for supper last night. Lynx is very tasty, a light mild tasting meat; reminds me of veal.

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Nukalpiaq,

I just noticed your snowy owl thread. I can't believe you've never tried Lynx. I have also ate owl, it's good. I've even eaten crow down south a time or two; now that is one meat I won't recommend (won't kill a raven though). Cats are all pretty good table fare, dogs ain't so good, cept for fat puppy. Fact is, ain't a whole lot I haven't tried, just a matter of what is available and being hungry enough.

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Timber Smith,
    Reason I have never eaten lynx is that I have never had the opportunity. One of the most interesting foods that I have had an opportunity to eat was fermented walrus flipper, one of my relatives aged the flippers and cooked some up for lunch one time. You have to cook them outside in the open due to the smell. Once I got past the look and smell of them they were real tasty, even had seconds. Now I would call fermented walrus flipper real traditional Yup'ik food.
    Aged walrus would probably be good bait for most any type of predator trapping, especially good for red, cross and arctic fox.

Ate it a couple times, can't wait to eat it again. Tastes like pork. Roast it in the oven like a pot roast.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

I like lynx meat real well, in fact it is my favorite way to eat snowshoe hares. I let the cat eat them first and then I eat the cat.

My wife browns the meat on the stove top and then adds vegies in a roaster and bakes it in the oven like a pot roast. Light meat and very tasty indeed.

Default eating cats

I had a chance to try both cougar and lynx. The first thing I noticed was the light color, much like pork. The texture was like pork too, short muscled. Very good flavor, very tender. I would not hesitate to eat them again.

Default Lynx

I've eaten bobcat, lynx, and housecat. Hey, the mexicans make tacos and fajitas out of them in Texas. The meat reminds me of pork loin and is very tasty. Just have to get past the Sylvester thing (Tweety is on your side).
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !