Thread: What is going on with the Alaska Caribou Herd????????????????

Question What is going on with the Alaska Caribou Herd????????????????

Are ANY of the caribou herds in Alaska doing well or on the increase? I was also wondering which caribou units are having the most trouble and which units have been doing good as of late. I'm thinking about doina a caribou hunt in 08. Thanks for the help

Default Getting Late...

If you're just starting to THINK about a bou hunt in 08, you may want to wait until 2009. The Western Arctic caribou herd would be your best bet in 2008, but most of the charters and accommodations are likely booked up by this point. I could be wrong, but it's getting late in the game to just be starting the process....

Caribou are cyclic...I don't think any of the herds are in real trouble.

Thumbs up WACH out of Kotzebue

Check out WACH and my web site.

600, 000 caribou can't be wrong!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Your best bet in rafts, canoes and camp rentals
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    www.northwestalaska.com

Thumbs up Hey Walt...

Hey Walt,
    Just wanted to chime in and tell you what a great trip we had in 2006 on the Kugururok River. Thanks for all you did. We had a blast!
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Smile alaska caribou hunt

UH:
    the 600,000 caribou is one for every square mile in the state! It is thriving. You dont want a repeat of Mulchatna. The Mulchatna herd crashed because it got too big for the number of hunters that could afford to fly in and shoot their five caribou. Dont postpone an Alaska trip because there are plenty of caribou. Dont worry about herd dynamics cause the cause of the crash was under harvest.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

IMO it is not to late to plan a fall hunt for caribou, there are lots of air charter operators out there that will have room to drop off hunters. Just do a little searching and you'll find them.

The 40 Mile herd is a good one, as is the Porcipine herd in ANWR. The herd on Alaska's North Slope is well and growing. The Malchatnia and Delta herds is the only ones currently in decline. The Malchatnia herd got too big for their area and over grazed, hence a crash. The Delta herd is declining due to lack of preditor control. Wolves and Bears are taking all the calves.

If you check with 40 mile air, or some of the other air services they can get you into the areas for a self guided hunt. If you need a guide, I would recommend Virgil Umpahnour, (907) 456-3885/(907) 456-3889 Fax or you can e-mail him at akhuntptialaska.net

He has treated me well.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

F&G has upped the quota for the middle zone of the 40-mile herd last year. That area can be reached by plane, or boat up the Salcha river.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"