Thread: Killing a fox after it is in your leghold trap

Default Killing a fox after it is in your leghold trap

Just wondering how folks kill their fox after they have been trapped, when I was into fox trapping my uncle showed me a quick and easy way to kill a fox without shooting it. First off he cut a forked stick with a 3 ft hand hold and this he would use to hold the fox down. He would place the forked end on the fox's neck, then he would grab the fox behind the neck and put his knee or foot on it pushing it down on the ground belly side down, with his other hand he would grab the muzzle and pull the head back with some force breaking the neck. Sometimes you would have to bend it all the way back until it touches the back to kill it, each fox is different. Good killing method to keep the pelt blood free. Another method he taught me was to take a stick a few inches in diameter and walk up to the fox, hit it on the muzzle near the nose with a good whack. The fox immediately becomes stunned and falls down, quickly grab it and use the method described above to kill it. There is usually a little blood on the muzzle when you skin it out but not really that much. With this method the fox is easier to handle since he is stunned and not moving around everywhere trying to get free. What methods do you fox trappers use ? Thanks

A CCI Subsonic HP or .22 short HP through the eyeball.
    Now what ?

Default snare

Place a snare around the neck and pull tight. They die very quickly. Attach the snare to a long stick if necessary.
    Last edited by n0g0d; 01-19-2008 at 12:17. Reason: accidental quote

Quote Originally Posted by n0g0d View Post
    Place a snare around the neck and pull tight. They die very quickly. Attach the snare to a long stick if necessary.
    I like the sound of this method, seems very effective and you keep the pelt from getting bloody too. Thanks

Default What I saw

I went out with a buddy who was showing me the ropes of trapping and the method he use to dispach a fox was whack it across the muzzle which as you stated puts it down rather quickly then place the item used to knock it out across the neck and step on it to apply pressure on the neck which cuts off blood flow to the brain and finishes off the fox really fast with no blood. When he decribes it to me i didnt believe him but after seeing it in action and how quickly and well it worked this will be my preferred method when I finally get into trapping. We were in and out of the spot with the set reset in 3-4 min
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "HOLY **** WHAT A RIDE!!!"

The method used by myself and some "big-time" foxmen in Pa. and Md. (big-time being over 1000 fox a season [I'm not big-time]) is the sharp blow to the muzzle/head and another to the throat just below the jaw. When done this way the tounge will come out and curl and the fox is dead before you can remove the trap. No blood and under 10 seconds. VERY humane dispatch. I think the blow to the throat ruptures so many vessels it's like a stroke. On a long fox line time is of the essence and this is QUICK! Just my 2 cents. BG

I no longer trap but I used to rap them on the muzzle and when they are knocked out I stood on their ribs causing their heart to stop beating.