Thread: seat repair/re-cover?

Default seat repair/re-cover?

Any suggestions on a trusworthy shop in the Valley that will re-cover a snowmachine seat (at a reasonable price...)? I have a couple of rips in mine and would like to get them taken care of before the foam starts to rip. The time trusted duct tape repair is no longer cutting it.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I bought new seat cover and put them on myself. I think from Polaris.

Thats what I did last time, but I am having a very hard time finding replacement covers for a '98 machine. I think the one I did find was almost $200 plus shipping... I'm hoping this cover can be repaired since the tears are on sewn seams.
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default kevins shop in chugiak

I had a 93 tundra redone this fall by kevin aphostry in chugiak for $145. he did a great job. Kinda a grumpy old guy when ya first meet him, but he warms up. he did it for me in about 3 days. very good work!

There is a guy that has an upolstery shop downtown Palmer behind the Palmer bar near the 4 way stop sign. Last year I took him an Arctic cat seat that was splitting out at the bend where the seat and fuel tank meet. He cut out the bad section, reinforced the under side, eliminated the seam, and installed a large patch so that it looked totally professional. As far as I was concerned, it was absolutely *better* than factory original. Charged me something like $50. He is great to work with...I give him all my upholstery work to do and have never had a bad outcome. Check him out, you won't be disappointed as he is a craftsman at his trade IMHO.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

I ripped a hole in the leather seats of Alaska_Lanche's Avalanche and no one would even touch it. I called sullivans upholstery in Mountain View and he took the seat out, un-hooked all the wiring, replaced the leather panel, re-did the french seam for 200 bucks. Pretty darn cheap compared to everyone else (or a new seat as some were suggesting). If you're going to Eagle River every day, it might be worth a shot...

Also, here's some seat covers on e-bay. I've seen seats in perfect shape on ebay for less than 200 w/ shipping, so keep an eye out.

Default Just did it

My old '96 Polaris Sport's seat was shot due to a dog and hitting it to bust off the ice in real cold weather. I called a local upholsterer (The Poofy Puffin) and she said she would make me a brand new one (two-up) for $180. I Decided to get a used unit from Verba's Hilltop Repair in Sterling. They charged me $225 for a pristine seat/tank combo. I chose to do this because I kept on having water problems in my old tank anyway. I'll treat this one better!

Cool seat reply

www.shadetreepowersports.com just got one for my loner sled 95 indy 69 dollars can,t beat im

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    There is a guy that has an upolstery shop downtown Palmer behind the Palmer bar near the 4 way stop sign. Last year I took him an Arctic cat seat that was splitting out at the bend where the seat and fuel tank meet. He cut out the bad section, reinforced the under side, eliminated the seam, and installed a large patch so that it looked totally professional. As far as I was concerned, it was absolutely *better* than factory original. Charged me something like $50. He is great to work with...I give him all my upholstery work to do and have never had a bad outcome. Check him out, you won't be disappointed as he is a craftsman at his trade IMHO.
    Roger, are you talking about the place across the street from Bishops or ?????

Never mind, finally looked in the right place today and found it.

Thumbs up

Well, I went with Blue Skye Designs in Wasilla. Laurie did a GREAT job. A totally new cover would have been pretty expensive so she opted to repair the existing cover and it turned out great! I got it back on last Saturday and it looks like a new machine.
    AKmud

Roger, thanks for the tip on the guy in Palmer. I dropped my seat off just before he closed up Monday, and Tuesday morning I got a call saying the seat was ready!!!!

Fast turn around, great work, and a very reasonable price.

Thanks again!

Ken

Default Do it yourself options

If you're not too worried about looks and don't want to drop cash on an old machine, you can sew it up yourself using canvas thread, a curved needle and smother the whole thing with aquaseal...just did it to mine (since upholsterers are rare in the bush) and it's holding up very well, and the adhesive is holding great even in subzero conditions. This method looks better and lasts better than duct tape and costs next to nothin and keeps your foam from getting waterlogged. But that said...it looks like a six inch zipper scar. But my butt doesn't seem to care

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Well, I went with Blue Skye Designs in Wasilla. Laurie did a GREAT job. A totally new cover would have been pretty expensive so she opted to repair the existing cover and it turned out great! I got it back on last Saturday and it looks like a new machine.
    Laurie does excellent work at a great price. 6x6 is headed there soon to get some bags made, Kolpin eat your heart out.

NAPA sells vinyl seat repair kits, I have patched a couple of rips using them. It isn't as good as a new cover but a lot cheaper. Plus they end up being water proof.

Default Well, what was the verdict?

Hey UPSTREAM, if the guy was worth it, can you tell us the business name, contact info, etc? I have a couple of seats I'd love to have done for a reasonable price!
    Thanks!

Default Johns Upholstery

Johns Upholstery in Wasilla. He is behind Wasilla Arctic Cat. He has done a couple of mine plus a couple of other projects. Does a good job and on time.

Johns Upholstery is located at 3160 E Southview Dr Wasilla, AK. Phone: 907-376- 4083

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Jktimm View Post
    Hey UPSTREAM, if the guy was worth it, can you tell us the business name, contact info, etc? I have a couple of seats I'd love to have done for a reasonable price!
    Thanks!
    The Upholstery Gallery

746-7062

I don't remember his name though.

He does all of Pen Air's aircraft fabric work, so I'd imagine his quality of work has to be good if not great.

I know he did a great job for me. He assembled the 1 up seat from the parts I bought at CC to put the 1 up seat on my Tundra 550 for $40. He took less than 24 hours to get back to me.