Thread: wooldridge sport

Thumbs up wooldridge sport

WEll I got a story with a happy ending. bought a 20' wooldridge sport from marita last year after going to the boat show, and trying to figure out which boat would fit the family. It did everything and then some, and we were very happy with the boat and motor!! Well we took it dipnetting, and had a barnburner of a day. we got 130+ fish in about 4 hrs (3 big families)!!! Needless to say we had fins and gills and fish parts all over that boat, plus the moose hunt, and all the king fishing we did up at deshka and lake creek. Needless to say, i figured we had a bilge Full of everything. Well the good news is I hosed the inside of the boat down every trip, well when i pulled hte floor boards to clean it out this yr.....NOTHING, it was CLEAN!!! AMAZING!!! BAD news, I found some cracking that holds the floor boards. Well called wooldridge, to see if they had a prefferred welder up here. I sent them pictures of the cracks, they sent me pictures on how to fix the cracks, ie weld and reinforce. Since i am not the original owner, the warrenty isn't covered, but the boat is only 5yrs old. I knew this, and was totally expecting to pay for it, just wanted it done right, by someone who knew what they were doing. Well all said and done, they are taking care of me, big time, they went above and beyond. So I would recommend anyone to look at wooldridge boats, as they stand behind them big time!!!

5 year old boat. Sold by the Wooldridge dealer (not an individual). Cracked aluminum after only 1 year of your use.

And you are happy with Wooldridge and Marita because they "Stand behind them big time"?

I am confused.

Default same thing

I have a Sport in 20' and had a crack in what is probably the same area (mid way) which was discovered after the first year when I removed the floorboards. The Boatshop did the warranty repair and I haven't had a problem since. I go everywhere in this boat and usually put just under 300 hours per year with my family on the boat. No complaints except now we will need a bigger boat someday with our boys getting bigger and old dog getting more cranky and needing his space........

Default Wooldridge Warrenty

Quote Originally Posted by TBLOOMA View Post
    WEll I got a story with a happy ending. bought a 20' wooldridge sport from marita last year after going to the boat show, and trying to figure out which boat would fit the family. It did everything and then some, and we were very happy with the boat and motor!! Well we took it dipnetting, and had a barnburner of a day. we got 130+ fish in about 4 hrs (3 big families)!!! Needless to say we had fins and gills and fish parts all over that boat, plus the moose hunt, and all the king fishing we did up at deshka and lake creek. Needless to say, i figured we had a bilge Full of everything. Well the good news is I hosed the inside of the boat down every trip, well when i pulled hte floor boards to clean it out this yr.....NOTHING, it was CLEAN!!! AMAZING!!! BAD news, I found some cracking that holds the floor boards. Well called wooldridge, to see if they had a prefferred welder up here. I sent them pictures of the cracks, they sent me pictures on how to fix the cracks, ie weld and reinforce. Since i am not the original owner, the warrenty isn't covered, but the boat is only 5yrs old. I knew this, and was totally expecting to pay for it, just wanted it done right, by someone who knew what they were doing. Well all said and done, they are taking care of me, big time, they went above and beyond. So I would recommend anyone to look at wooldridge boats, as they stand behind them big time!!!
    TBLOOMAS boat was used when he purchased it from the dealer. I would say that Wooldridge stood behind the boat and paid for the repairs to make it good, so Tim was happy.

Default thanks sport drifter!

yes the boat was used when i got it. I am happy with the service they provided on a 5yr old boat. Take a truck back to the dealer after 5 yrs out of warrenty, see what they do for you. Sorry I guess I just really like customer service after the sale. Just sharing a GOOD story I had. Take a look at wooldridge if your going to buy a boat, thats all I am saying. Great boat with great customer service standing behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by sport drifter View Post
    TBLOOMAS boat was used when he purchased it from the dealer. I would say that Wooldridge stood behind the boat and paid for the repairs to make it good, so Tim was happy.
    If I missed it I apologize, but I do not see anywhere in the OP that Wooldridge paid for the repair.

I did see where Wooldridge said to weld AND REINFORCE the repair. That makes me wonder if there is not a weak area in the design of the boat. 5 years is a very short time IMO for a reputable boat builder to repair known defects on one of their boats. Be it the first owner or subsequent. Reputation is important.

"they took care of me" = they paid for it.
    We all agree 5 yrs is a little premature to have cracks, under normal use, but then again, look at the sport jons.
    Thats why they took care of it, as I have looked at newer boats and it is reienforced as they have instructed me to do.

go to the boat show, have fun, and checkout all the boats, and get one that you think fits your needs, and your comfortable with!!

Happy boating!

Depends upon "how used" it was i guess.
    My brother in law is a Marine Architect and worked on the fast ferry project in BC. I think AK bought one or two? Anyway, they are Aluminum and part of the "design" of the ships was to inspect often and weld the cracks that were found. They expected them. Just the nature of Aluminum, low modulus of elsticity etc. Sounds like Woodridge is a pretty solid outfit to repair a 5 year old boat.
    Where exactly were the cracks??

Quote Originally Posted by TBLOOMA View Post
    "they took care of me" = they paid for it.
    We all agree 5 yrs is a little premature to have cracks, under normal use, but then again, look at the sport jons.
    Thats why they took care of it, as I have looked at newer boats and it is reienforced as they have instructed me to do.

go to the boat show, have fun, and checkout all the boats, and get one that you think fits your needs, and your comfortable with!!

Happy boating!
    I am glad to hear that you had a good experience with them.

I would list all the problems that I had, but I don't have all day. I am 45, have bought many cars/trucks/ATV's etc. My boat was the ABSOLUTE WORST buying experience of my life.

Default Sport

All the Sports/Alaskans have this style bracing now{the little triangle bracing in the corners of the floor supports} they added this to fix Tim's type of problem 4 years back.

After seeing the post from the owner of the 17 foot woldridge I had to put in my two cents worth. I have the same boat that is a 2007 model and have not had a single bit of trouble with it. It runs in the yukon a lot and also in some very shallow rivers around Fairbanks all the time. The only time I wish I had a different boat is when I took it to Valdez but then it is not an ocean boat.

All the Sports/Alaskans have this style bracing now{the little triangle bracing in the corners of the floor supports} they added this to fix Tim's type of problem 4 years back.

Is that the tunnel running down the center of the hull, or a beefed up keel??

Fuel tank.

The little triangles were only part of the fix and those really don't have much to do with the hull structural integrity......if you look in the pic you will see some rectangle pieces welded in on the outer stringers. Those pieces were added to all the stringers if they were pieced together.

The stringer midway between the outer and the one running along the tank is the one that cracked. Both sides at the welded joint midship.

When his (TBlooma)boat was welded up we made more of a triangle(or a trapazoid would work) to go over the welded 2 piece stringers. This helps to distribute the load across the welded area better.

Also an interesting thing is the fuel tank is only secured to the hull at the front of the boat. Which by the way, where it was welded was cracked. Now it's welded and gusseted.

Hope this helps......Woolridge stood up and paid to have it fixed. I only bring it up as a point of safety. It would be a castatrophic tradegy to have your boat fold in the middle with your family on board in the middle of the Su or PWS. Obivious a little preventive maintenance on our part has educated a few more to a possible flaw. I would still buy a Woolridge myself if the right one came along. They are well built boats.

So does this apply to a 2006 Alaskan? I have not been notified by Marita or Wooldridge that it does.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    So does this apply to a 2006 Alaskan? I have not been notified by Marita or Wooldridge that it does.
    No this does not apply to your boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    The little triangles were only part of the fix and those really don't have much to do with the hull structural integrity......if you look in the pic you will see some rectangle pieces welded in on the outer stringers. Those pieces were added to all the stringers if they were pieced together.

The stringer midway between the outer and the one running along the tank is the one that cracked. Both sides at the welded joint midship.

When his (TBlooma)boat was welded up we made more of a triangle(or a trapazoid would work) to go over the welded 2 piece stringers. This helps to distribute the load across the welded area better.

Also an interesting thing is the fuel tank is only secured to the hull at the front of the boat. Which by the way, where it was welded was cracked. Now it's welded and gusseted.

Hope this helps......Woolridge stood up and paid to have it fixed. I only bring it up as a point of safety. It would be a castatrophic tradegy to have your boat fold in the middle with your family on board in the middle of the Su or PWS. Obivious a little preventive maintenance on our part has educated a few more to a possible flaw. I would still buy a Woolridge myself if the right one came along. They are well built boats.
    Are you talking about the cross bracing above the bottom that holds up the floor boards?

This tube that was but welded across the boat was where they had some with cracks, that is when they started to add the triangles and bottom bracing off the bottom stringers. I will try and find a pic.

I just talked with Grant Wooldridge and he said all the stringers in the 17-20ft Sport boats were one piece from the rear to the front bulkhead. The started to make this model in 2000.

So all the rectangle pieces you see in the sides are where the T 6061 stringers are spliced together?

The fuel tanks are either welded in across the top front and rear or bolted in with tabs off of the tank to the center structure of the hull.

Default Final Story

Ok, I hope woolridge isn't getting a bad name here. My boat did have some issues, and I would call them minor.
    I had two cracks that had me slightly concerned. And I think they were cause by me having the incorrect trailer under the boat and trailering the boat up to Eagle last year. (the roads absolutely suck)
    As far as the boat folding in half, a whole lot more would have had to happen, and a lesser boat would have failed way before this one would have.
    Gas tank: How many outboards are running around with those 6 gallon Portable tanks? How well are these anchored down? The Bracket that held the front of the tank, was SLIGHTLY crack, not at all broken. This did not worry me abit.
    The rest of the cracks, maybe 6 others, were only floor board pieces that held the edges of two pieces of ply wood together so they would be even. We gusseted all the rest cause thats what wooldridge told us to do(new design).
    My background:5 yrs in boat business, 15 yrs in aircraft business. Engineering things.

Bottom line: the hull of this boat was NOT in anyway compromised.

YOU make the desicion, before you buy a boat, pull the floor boards LOOK at it! It is VERY obvious which boat is built stonger. I started this thread cause wooldridge stood behind thier product!! How many other manufactures are going to stand behind a 5 yr old product, that gets abused in AK?

Lets put this to bed. Wooldridge is a very good company, with an outstanding product that they stand behind. If I need to buy another boat(plan on keeping this boat for a long time) It will probably be a wooldridge.

Any specific questions PM me

Angry

I purchased a boat at the boat show in 2006.

1) Boat was PDIed for 10 days, just sitting there and I was not called to pick it up. Nobody bothered. Needed to get my electronics etc ready.

2) Boat was ordered with a swimstep that was ordered using a picture of EXACTLY what I wanted. I was quoted a price and when it showed up, there were not grab handles or tie downs. I was told that they would buy some from West Marine and BOLT them on. Ain't happening!!

3) When I had my son take it down to evaluate a pretty deep "crack" they sanded it out. Remember that this is 1/8" and this foot long "crack" would take a very strong guy with a sheetrock knife many strokes to make. I wonder how thick the metal is now? Boat did not have the upgrade tach with fuel consumption etc like the one at the boat show. When they sanded the crack, they also changed the gauge (just the gauge). So here I am at Deshka with a guy from work that could impact my earnings for many years and the boat won't start. Not even a beep when the key is turned on. Lights work, horn works, trim works, bilge pump works, just no power to the motor. We spent an hour looking for a fuse etc.... and ended up wasting a great summer day cussing and screaming. I took the boat to the dealer Monday AM before work and dropped it off. I got in touch with the mechanic and he said "Sir, you left the NAV lights on and it completely drained the battery, we put a new one in and everything is fine". I asked him why all the lights etc still worked as there is only one battery. Then I asked him what he really found. He said a fuse was blown under the battery in the battery box. (Who would put one there anyway??). A wire must have touched ground when the gauge was changed. Now I am really pissed. The boat was down there for exactly 2 things. Get the crack evaluated and to simply measure the tongue of the trailer to make sure that it was a full 18" longer as it was ordered. (BTW - this gets ugly too.) I did NOT ask them to fix the gauge at this time, they just did it. Hopefully, it was just someone trying to correct things that should not be working on boats. Changing parts without checking to make sure that they work is really bad..... BTW - When you put in a gauge that has fuel consumption etc, you also need to put in the senders that make it work properly. This was not done until fall when I just got pissed.

4) When I ordered the boat I also had a friend go out to my cabover, stand in a snowbank and measure to see how long the tongue needed to be to clear the corners on turns. I specified 18" and paid for an extended tongue. When I picked up the boat, I did not measure it, it looked longer so I figured that is was up to spec. So here I am at Deshka and my buddy makes the turn to launch and the hand crank handle goes through the back of my camper. Not backing up, just a standard right turn. Nice 6" hole right through the fiberglass and of course the handle is broken. I was told that what I got was a longer trailer. Not a longer tongue. They did pay for a stinger $54. They did not offer to have the damage fixed.

5) I finally got with the manager in the fall and got the grab handles welded on and the sensors installed. It was not a pleasant conversation. I also got my money refunded for my failed trip to Deshka.

They do not follow up on an upset customer at all. Wooldridge did not even answer my email concerning the trailer. I have spent approximately $34K at this dealer (wheeler and boat).

I have my boat almost where it should be. I am sure that I missed a few things, but I am trying to forget the worst buying experience of my life.

I bear the burdon of not refusing the boat when they tried to deliver it, not getting with the bank and stopping payment, not calling the manufacturer direct. I work full time and making personal calls all day is not a good or easy thing to do. Taking time off to fix things that should not need to be fixed is expensive.

Are you talking about the cross bracing above the bottom that holds up the floor boards?

No this area is a floor support only and would be of little concern. It does help hold spacing in places.

This tube that was but welded across the boat was where they had some with cracks, that is when they started to add the triangles and bottom bracing off the bottom stringers. I will try and find a pic. ????????

I just talked with Grant Wooldridge and he said all the stringers in the 17-20ft Sport boats were one piece from the rear to the front bulkhead. The started to make this model in 2000.

This particular boat had the stringers in 2 pieces and were welded mid ship and I believe his boat is an '03. This one slipped thru?????

So all the rectangle pieces you see in the sides are where the T 6061 stringers are spliced together?

The ones in TBlooma's are welded (two piece). Also need to include the ones along the tank and the ones that run mid way between the tank and the outers. All are structual hull pieces.

The pics sent from Woolridge to correct the problem were exactly where T's cracked mid ship.

The fuel tanks are either welded in across the top front and rear or bolted in with tabs off of the tank to the center structure of the hull.

I will tell you now... there is no bolted tabs anywhere on his tank. The only welded bracket is to the front of the boat to hold the tank in place.

No bolts on "T's" for sure. I even went and double checked before writing this statement. The tabs would have to be on top and they are not present (Unless bolted thru the hull..lol..I have seen it, not fuel tanks, but owner installed center consoles).

Guys don't take this so far.....look at your boats and if we are seeing the same problems lets get them addressed to Marita and Mr. Woolridge. My personal opinion is that this is not an isolated problem. The more that are aware of a possible issue the easier we can get the manufacturer to address the problem publicly if indeed it is a problem.

As far as the boat folding in half, maybe not, but the hull cracking at that point is a real good possiblity. What ever stresses (flex) cracked the stringers is going to crack the hull. "T" says because of trailer issues....I wonder how many are trailered exactly the same.

I know the "I" net has some bad S%#T written about stuff, but this is not the case. Second nobody ever likes to have their dirty laundry in the front room for everyone to see.

As "T" has said "Woolridge stood up and paid him for his repairs". They obiviously knew there was a problem and changed their design as viewed from the pictures recieved to repair his cracks. Problem was resolved with the manufacturer on this boat, but what about the next guy or the 100th guy($300 to $500 adds up quick).

Woolridge is a very well made boat!!!!! I think someone was just having a bad day when this one(?) left the line that day. I would welcome Mr Grant Woolridge's comments to this post.

For the record I am not a Woolridge owner. The right deal did not present itself till after I bought my North River, but maybe one day here soon.

I guess no one noticed that I am still willing to buy a Woolridge.....I have seen worse......a whole lot worse from others (including Woolridge). One that almost cost some friend's their lives.

I will continue to report things as I see them and if I believe they can or could become a safety issue I will not hesitate to post them on the "I" net. Obiviously this got alot of views because as of this posting it was at 989 views since 18th of March.