Thread: Long Lake

Default Long Lake

Headin To Long Lake This Weekend To Give It A Try. Allthough I Have Driven Past It Countless Times I Have Never Fished It. Can Anybody Give Me Suggestions On Where To Fish So Im Not Aimlessly Walking Around Poking Holes For No Good Reason?

Default ice fishing

i am new to ice fishing, but however had good success. i read the layout of the land and try to fish a creekbed in the lake. look at the bank, and find a creek, go out from it 25 yards or so. try that. i may be just lucky, but i was a guide in south carolina but fishing is fishing. read the land and follow the creek channels.

I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Long lake

If your talking about long lake way out past Palmer on your way to Glenallen then here isn't really any creeks, and the ones it does have have muddy shallow mouths, and there wont be any fish in that area. You can catch Lakers, Char, and rainbows. Fish deep for char, and lakers. Just go 30 yards or so off the shore on the side the road is on (in the main body of the lake), and it should be plenty deep. The ground under the water is as steep as the ground above water so just find that real steep stuff, and you will have good depths. I would punch a few holes starting 20 to 30 ft all the way down to 60ft deep. January is not the best time for that lake though. Fish tend to get real dormant this time of yr as it is. Good luck.

lungshot - yes thats the one im talking about. found in roadside angler there are several "long lakes". im told there are burbot there also. well see...

I talked to a guy that had been fishing in the channel between the boat launch and the main lake last summer. He said that he could see "football" sized fish along the bottom. Any idea what he was talking about?

Just to be clear to everyone the long lake in the kepler bradly park is closed to ice fishing, this thread is about the one down the glenn highway
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Burbot/suckers

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    I talked to a guy that had been fishing in the channel between the boat launch and the main lake last summer. He said that he could see "football" sized fish along the bottom. Any idea what he was talking about?
    My guess would be the Burbot. Are there long nose suckers in there? It could have been those if there are.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by LungShot View Post
    .....Are there long nose suckers in there? It could have been those if there are.
    ADFG says there are, but I've never caught one there.

Default Burbot

My 8 year old, 6 at the time, caught a small burbot off the shore there 2 years ago during the spring time. We didn't catch anything else.

Default Cool lake

I wish that lake was bigger. It has plenty of depth, and if it were larger it would hold some huge fish. About 4 yrs ago in late may I took my boat out there with a buddy. We fished by the boat launch, and out into the lake a little catching rainbows one after another as they had just stocked it with catchables. I had no idea there was anything else besides char in there until we decided to troll late in the evening. We trolled the entire shoreline, and we are on our way back against the steep rocks on the road side of the lake, and it was getting dark - probably 10:30 or so, and WAM!!! I thought for sure I had a 10 pound char on, but after about a 15 minute fight with my 8 pound test little trout pole I finally got it to the boat. Then it dove straight down ripping line off at a pretty good clip. I eventually got it to the boat, and we had to both grab the fish as it was to big for my little net. It was a laker. We weighed him, measured him, got a pic, and released him. If I remember right he was 30 inches, and 11lbs. I couldn't believe I caught that big of fish out of that little lake. Makes me wonder what else lurkes in those depths.

Default link to story of 22 pounder from long lake