Thread: scope vs binos which first

Default scope vs binos which first

Which to get first... I am going to get a good bit of gear this year for hunting as well as probably 1 ATV. I really want good optics but there is no way I am going to be able to cram a Swaro scope and Bino's into my budget and leave any room for a pack and an ATV. I have a cheap old tasco spotter and a pair of cheap nikon 10X40 bino's currently that are pretty heavy and not "all day" comfortable. So something has to give, what would you get first?

Binos. You will use them pretty much all the time.
    my .02
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default yepper...

Snyd's right.

Without good binos you won't use that spotter.

For general purpose hunting and pretty much any outdoors activities Snyd and fullkurl are spot on, you will use a pair of binoculars 100 times more than you will use a spotting scope. I say binos too.

Default Good deal here...

There are some Leupold Gold Rings on sale at Cabelas. They are waterproof, 10x42, have a lifetime warranty and are half price.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...250&hasJS=true
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Ebay

LuJon,

Binos first for sure. To me binos are more important and any other optics you have in hunting. You'll want a pair you can look hours through. A rangefinder is nice but not really needed. A super nice rifle scope is nice as well. But the difference between a $1K swaro and a $200 nikon doesn't seem worth it when you consider the fact that you won't really be looking through it more than probably 30 seconds on each hunt. A spotter is very nice to have yes, but like FullKurl said without binos you really won't be using the spotter if you can't find the game in the first place without binos. Of course you could try glassing for game with a spotter but you'll be hard pressed to spend too much time behind it w/o getting tired of looking behind it compared to binos, I don't care how nice your spotting scope is.

If you play the ebay game well you can score a quality spotting scope and binos for the price of a swaro, leica, zeiss spotting scope from Cabelas. Thats where'd I'd start looking. Of course you start looking after you have figured out which binos/spotters you want after going to SW and taking a few out to the parking lot to figure out which ones are for you.

Good luck.

Without question...BINOS!!!!!!!!

Wow so far it is unanimous. Initialy I was set on Binos then I started thinking that I can see white sheep purty good with my cheap nikons, I just can't tell much beyond it being a sheep or a rock. So I grab my trusty 15y/o tasco spotter and yep I can definately tell if it is a ram or ewe and that's it, not really going to be able to make out horn tips with it outside of about 8-900 yards.

Definitley bino's, I hardly use my spotter except for sheep and occasionally for moose.

Duh you need a rhino first and foremost. J/K I would definately go with bino's. I've use my bino's all the time, while I've used my spotting scope on one trip. But that's just me.

I'd get a spotting scope before an ATV
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Duh you need a rhino first and foremost. J/K I would definately go with bino's. I've use my bino's all the time, while I've used my spotting scope on one trip. But that's just me.
    I do WANT that rhino and it is gonna be tough but I am gonna stay strong and pay off one of my vehicles with my tax return. Dang I might actually be getting responsible... If I didn't draw a chugach sheep tag the story might be different though.

Save to buy the best bino's you can possibly afford, then save for a couple of more months and buy a pair that are even better.
    Trust most of us and learn from our mistakes. If you do it right the first time they will last you the rest of your life.
    Tennessee