Thread: RV Trek

Default RV Trek

Hi Folks!

My wife and I will be renting an RV out of Anchorage and we'd like to do some salmon and halibut fishing. Our trip will start on June 25th - July 2nd. I've been to your heaven on earth about 13 years ago (one wife later) and I really enjoyed a great hike into Crescent Lake for the Grayling and I've fished the Russian, Kenai, and I've been on a Homer Charter and had a blast in all four places! The lil lady doesn't want anything to do with Crescent since I made the mistake about telling her about my bear encounter when my buddy and I almost hiked in between a sow and her cubs, but for everything else, "Game On"!

Like I said it's been 13 years since my last trip and I am admittedly a clueless tourist, but I did buy the latest "Highway Angler" and I'm going to order the "Milepost".

If anyone can offer any advice I'd really appreciate it !

PS: The wife is working on her RN degree and when she gets it, I'm going to try and talk her into moving to your great state! Hopefully I can give her a trip that she'll never forget and can't wait to come back! Wish me luck.

Susitna drainage for kings.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thanks! Anymore ideas, anyone?

Default Valdez?

You could make the drive to Valdez. Its a little over three hundred miles with some of the prettiest views in the state. Check your book, but I think the pinks should be running in Valdez and you will cross the Klutina which should have Kings and Sockeye. There are also some stocked lakes that have rainbows and grayling along the way. There are also halibut and salmon charters available in Valdez. The kenai penninsula would have more to offer for roadside fishing, would be less driving, but more crowded, and Seward also offers a number of charters. Its all about what you are looking for.

Thanks again for the ideas! I'm building quite a library of information. I'm hoping to knock my wife's socks off with this trip! You guys are awesome!!

Default Read the fine print...

Here's some valuable advice for anyone who is planning to rent an RV in AK.

Be sure and ask for a copy of a blank contract before you rent. Read it carefuly and have your own insurance agent look it over with you. There is no charge for this, and the advice you get from someone whom you already employ (your agent) is free.

Leave no loose ends, ever, in renting an RV...

http://www.alaskanatuhor.com

I would either head South to the Kenai Peninsula for a few days,maybe fish the Russian or the Kenai. You can also visit Homer or Seward. The head back up North of Anchorage to the Mat-Su valley. The Mat-Su has numerous rivers (Little Susitna, Deshka, Willow, Montana etc...) all within about a 50 mile radius. You can also head further north and visit Denali for some sight seeing.

Great advice, Bernard!

Thank you also, Salmon_Hunter!!

I have a question about shipping a firearm. My wife and I will be taking a cruise up from Vancouver, B.C. and since we plan on doing some fishing in bear territory, I'd like to have a good sized handgun or a shotgun on hand. Since we are leaving out of Canada, I'm pretty sure bringing a handgun with us is out of the question and the paperwork for the shotgun might be more trouble than it's worth.

Does anybody know anything about shipping weapons to Anchorage? Would it be possible to ship a gun to an FFL in Anchorage? Thanks for your help in this matter.

Also I'd like to give a shout out to Bernard AKA Alaskan Author! He has been more than helpful and more like a friend willing to lend a hand. I purchased his Alaska travel book yesterday and his speed in shipping is incredible and his willingness to to help a clueless guy like me is just amazing!

Thanks again for your help, Bernard! I'm really looking forward to reading your book cover to cover!

Yes, shipping it should be possible but it would need to be FFL to FFL. This would most likely mean fees from both as well as the cost of shiiping. Look at www.jgsales.com There you will find a search engine to punch in Zip codes to find an FFL. Then you can start to call around and get prices. For Anchorage, use zip codes 99501 through 99518. You may also want to consider Bear Spray. I myself carry a gun but those who carry the spray say the it is extremly effective. You can buy it locally and will most likely be the cheaper route. Plus you and your wife could both carry one as opposed to just you having a gun. By the way, I have fished many different rivers and even though there have been bear warnings posted the only time I have seen a bear close to me was on the Russian. Hope this helps.

You bet it helps! Thanks, Salmon_Hunter!!

I agree with salmon hunter. A trip down to Kenai Pensulia for a couple of days then a couple of days in the valley and/or Denali could be fun. It would show you and her what is possible on a weekend trip from anchorage if you decided to move.

For a shotgun it takes $50 and filling out a form to transport through Canada. Don't overlook the Bear Spray. When sprayed directly into a bear's face it is very efective. But don't use it as a detourant around a camp. When sprayed on objects it is an atractant. While you may be proficcent with a handgun it often gives people a false sence of security. Read this report from USGS and you may consider at least adding the spray to your gun for a better defence. http://www.wildraven.net/carnivores/...ay/report.html
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

I would buy the bear spray when you get to AK, many of the local sporting goods stores carry them. The one thing to remember if you do a flyout, they don't allow them on the small planes. Too much of a chance of discharge in the small cabin. I am not sure about commercial airlines, I would check the FAA website to confirm.

I have been using the spray for years (haven't had to discharge yet). It is much nicer than carrying a pistol, much less weight.

Good luck on your trip.

Talking Side trips

Take her to Seward and hike to Exit glacier (1/2 mile easy walk) while their stop by the Dog mushing kennel and take a tour, and maybe a water taxi trip from Homer to Seldovia for lunch or Razor Clam digging at Clam Gulch beach (good minus tides that week).
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

Quote Originally Posted by cmo1977 View Post
    I would buy the bear spray when you get to AK, many of the local sporting goods stores carry them. The one thing to remember if you do a flyout, they don't allow them on the small planes. Too much of a chance of discharge in the small cabin. I am not sure about commercial airlines, I would check the FAA website to confirm.

I have been using the spray for years (haven't had to discharge yet). It is much nicer than carrying a pistol, much less weight.

Good luck on your trip.
    No problem if you're flying on a float plane, just transport it in one of the floats.

Awesome Ideas, guys! I really like the water taxi idea for lunch and maybe some clam digging! Great ideas, keep 'em coming!

I agree with the Clam Gultch idea. There is a really pretty Old Russian Church near there you will want to photgraph. On a clear day you can see across the inlet and see the distant volcanos. Very beautiful area plus it is close to the Kasiloff River for maybe a little King Salmon action. You'll need to tell me about your area. I am moving this summer to El PAso and plan to do a lot of Hunting/Fishing in New Mexico and possible Arizona. What's good in that part of the country?

Quote Originally Posted by Salmon_Hunter View Post
    I agree with the Clam Gultch idea. There is a really pretty Old Russian Church near there you will want to photgraph. On a clear day you can see across the inlet and see the distant volcanos. Very beautiful area plus it is close to the Kasiloff River for maybe a little King Salmon action. You'll need to tell me about your area. I am moving this summer to El PAso and plan to do a lot of Hunting/Fishing in New Mexico and possible Arizona. What's good in that part of the country?
    New Mexico has awesome elk hunting and mule deer hunting, not to mention dove and quail. From El Paso, you just have about a 2 hr drive through Alamogordo up the hill into Cloudcroft for great Deer/Elk/Bear hunting. There's also some pretty decent trout fishing out of Tulie Creak and If you don't mind payng Resv fees, the lake at the Inn of the Mountain Gods is always stocked with plenty of trout. It's been about 10 years since I've fished there, but I've always had a good time and brought home a limit of fish.

Arizona has phenominal hunting! If I ever leave this state, it will be the thing I'll miss most. Mule deer, Coues white tail deer, the most awesome state to hunt for Rocky Mountain Elk!, Dessert Big Horn Sheep, Javelina, Turkey, Waterfoul, dove, quail... the list goes on!

Texas is a different ball game. You have to buy a lease to hunt almost anywhere in the state. There's almost no public land in the state.

If you have any El Paso or Southwestern desert specific questions, don't hesitate to ask. PM, or just post here! Good luck with your new adventure!

Thumbs up Whittier Boats

Give the fine sponsor of this thread a call. He can rent a nice boat to you and you can also explore PWS. BEWARE: Once you do, you will NOT want to go any place else.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/