Thread: Dillon 550 and stick powders

Default Dillon 550 and stick powders

Hi I want to load Rl15 for 223 on the Dillon. Anyone have any experience with that powder and the Dillon measure? Anyone have any mods I can do to keep powder from bridging in the drop tube?

I tried IMR4198 long ago in the press and it just would not work very well. I just drop powder everywehre about every 4th round...

Ball powders flow nicely, but RL15/Varget/N140 all shoot better with 77 SMK.

Default stick powder in progressives

Stick powders just don't do well in progressives. For best consistency they needed to be metered more slowly which is the opposite of what a progressive is meant for. In the .223, it is worse because of the small diameter of the neck which makes rapid loading even more difficult. I always used ball powders when using progressives when I was loading commercially and now that I'm loading just for myself, I am back to a single stage again.

I totally agree. I have a Dillon 550B, and stick powders are just a pain in the tush. Ball or flake powers all the way.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Default Ah, progressives

When I still had my reloading business, I had three Star progressive presses. This was in the mid/late seventies. They were the Rolls Royce of presses. Made the Dillons look like Wal-Mart goods. But, because they were so precisely fitted, if I spilled even a half dozen grains of powder, I had to strip down the base plate and clean it thoroughly. But the sound of those puppies going clink, clank bump every time I pulled the handle was pure music. Just an old fart remembering....

OT to the dillon PM;
    but I too have two Stars. I use the 45 extensively. Beautiful machine. The Dillon 1050 is a bit more forgiving for the mechanically disinclined, such as myself. The Star is more satisfyiing for me to use though. Guess i am old school too. That's why I have Swiss watches and Colt pistols too. Another OF