Thread: Valdez kings

Default Valdez kings

While silver fishing in Valdez last August a couple of guys told me this coming summer there would be a return of hatchery kings. Has anyone else heard this? Unfortunately I do not get to Valdez often and some local info would be great. Thanks.

Default Kings

I believe that there will indeed be a run of hatchery kings in Valdez this summer, but from what I understand their timing will be a bit of a mystery the first year. I did see a couple of jack kings brought in last fall, but this should be the first return of mature kings. I know there are a couple of guys on here who may have a more informative answer. I was waiting for someone to bring this up.

Default Now they did it!

Quote Originally Posted by sunk View Post
    While silver fishing in Valdez last August a couple of guys told me this coming summer there would be a return of hatchery kings. Has anyone else heard this? Unfortunately I do not get to Valdez often and some local info would be great. Thanks.
    OK, so who told you? It was supposed to be a secret and nowadays ya can't trust anyone. We will tar and feather them fellas.

Yes, this year is supposed to be the first four year return of the kings that were stocked, hummmmm..... 4 years ago. Sorry it is Friday, had to do the math.

Timing, well no one knows. They do start hitting in April and normally pick up in the beginning of May. But when the run is..... I don't think anyone can tell you. It is up to the fish to decide.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

How many Kings are expected? Or how about how many were planted? That might be easier to answer

Default Thanks

Thanks for the information. I look forward to getting to Valdez this summer.