Thread: How much $ to hunt Kotz for caribou/grizz?

Question How much $ to hunt Kotz for caribou/grizz?

What are we looking at money wise (per-person) to do an unguided caribou/grizz trip out of Kotzebue? (We would use a companion ticket on AK Air to get to Kotzebue.)

We are leaning towards a drop-camp hunt, but have not ruled out a float trip. We do not want to be dropped into a camp that is continually "booked" by an air taxi. For example, one group flies out, and another flies in, etc... We would be hunting around Sept 1-11 or Sept 7-17 ish.

Tim

Default Last Sept.

I did the hunt last year-----rented eq. tent and a few other things from from NWtrn. (great outfit) so we didnt have to bring it from Los Anchorage. Drop hunt---3 guys--9 days. Total of $3100 per person not including the flight to Kotz. That included transporter, motel, meat back to Anc. etc. As with anything like this when you add up the "extras" its not real cheap.
    RC

Thanks for the response. We were hoping to stay at about $3,000 each. This seems doable. We haven't ruled out going out of Bethel for caribou/bear, or even out of Anchorage with Trail Ridge Air. Kotzebue seems like a better opportunity to harvest 1-2 caribou and possibly a bear. A guy can only shoot one 'bou out of Bethel, I believe.

BTW, how far did you guys fly-hours/miles, if you don't mind? We're looking at an area 1.5-2 hours out, so probably more $.

Tim

Default who is NW trn?

How did you do on that hunt? I am thinking of the same kind of hunt but float trip. Do you know anyone who rents gear including rafts out of Kotz?
    Joe

Thumbs up Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals

If you’re looking for equipment rental in NW Alaska you need me! Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals in Kotzebue Alaska. I also assist in trip planning for my clients at no additional charge. I know the country and the pilots and can help you put together the best hunting and fishing experience in WACH!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Backcountry Rentals
    Your best bet in Rafts and camp rentals
    www.northwestalaska.com
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    33 miles north of the Arctic Circle

Default NW Worth Weight in Gold

Walt is reasonable with his rental equipment, has very good equipment and very good advice. We used him in '07 and his guidance was VERY helpfull!

You need to be a bit intuitive as he will not bad-mouth anyone but pay attention and he won't steer you wrong. Good Luck!

Thumbs up Yes, yes, yes!

"Walt is reasonable with his rental equipment, has very good equipment and very good advice. We used him in '07 and his guidance was VERY helpfull!"

I completely agree! Walt helped us out tremendously with a float of the Kugururok in 2006. Good luck finding a more knowledgable or helpful person anywhere. Let alone in remote NW Alaska. He is "the man".
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.