View Poll Results: Have you had an engine out requiring an emergnecy landing?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I have.

21 38.89%
  • No, I have not.

33 61.11%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine outs

Default Engine outs

How many pilots have had one or more engine outs requiring an emergency landing? To make this question more scientific, how many hours flying do you have?
    I will start the answers:

Hours flying: 160

Engine outs: 0

I lost a cylinder in my first 100 hours of flying that led to my engine quitting before I reached the nearest runway. I put it down in a hayfield, got a little slow and sank in to a hard landing but didn't damage anything.

1300 with no engine problems, knock on wood

4,000 civilian hours. One blown jug. One bad gas.
    No damage, no injuries.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

19000 hours.

3 preventive shutdowns (turbine)
    1 failed IO-540 (bad fuel control)
    1 failed IO-520 (bad gas)
    1 partially failed O-320 (carb ice)

750 hrs
    1 engine out 0320 puked cam on take off. Climbing hard to clear trees ended up spuding in hard. I walked away the plane was totaled.

Default Grizzly 1

Quote Originally Posted by kcedar View Post
    How many pilots have had one or more engine outs requiring an emergency landing? To make this question more scientific, how many hours flying do you have?
    I will start the answers:

Hours flying: 160

Engine outs: 0
    18,600 hours.
    1-Sediment bowl dropped off an Aeronca Chief.
    1-Frozen fuel line in C-106
    1-Rebuild error: Fuel Lube blocked fuel feed from tank on Super Cub.

Flew them all away except the first one: it's still there along the Yentna River south of Lake Creek. No injuries, no damage except for the Chief. That was the last day of Moose season in 1968. Yep, the date is right: 1968.

700 hours

Broken piston ring led to a fouled plug. Able "glide" to nearest airport with idle power.

Hey Mort, I remember reading about when you crashed the Chief. Is it still really there? Did you take out anything like avionics? I am sure that is wierd to see that still there.

Default not so far!

Approx. 200 hrs so far and all I have had is a lost cylinder after takeoff and a magneto failure at goose bay. The magneto I limped back to merrill field and called it a day, the cylinder got my attention. Luckily I had an instructor on board and was at pattern altitude when she went. Got it back on the ground and to the hangar with no problems. Got another plane and was back in the air within 10 minutes.
    Adison

Default Grizzly 1

Quote Originally Posted by Sharp Shooter View Post
    Hey Mort, I remember reading about when you crashed the Chief. Is it still really there? Did you take out anything like avionics? I am sure that is wierd to see that still there.
    Naw. Kenny Oldham swiped the engine before I could get back to get it out on skis. The old Chief was a 65-hp, with no generator and no radios. Back in those daye (actdually I made a typo: it was in 1958), we hand-propped most of our planes, and relied on the tower for light signals. It's still there, but the fabric is mostly gone now and it's pretty hard to see. The only thing of much value on the panel was the clock, which worked well. I took it out and it still graces my desk. Oh, well . . . . . .

Almost 500 hours with no real problems.

Total Time: 1600+ hours
    Commerical Rated SEL/SES

First one happened in my early years, prob with only 200 to 300 hours under my belt, on way from Mekoryuk to Bethel in 78' 172N with Franklin 220hp and Aqua 2400's....after squeezing my ass when crossing the 30 miles of ocean to Toksook Bay, i added carb heat, and the engine backfired...then lost 250 RPM instantly...dropped her into a lake, turned my ELT on, National Guard picked me up 6 hours later, went back a week later, changed out the jug and the piston had a hole the size of a half dollar in it

2nd time, same plane, i knew i was low on gas, simply hit the Kusko, followed the river until i ran out of gas....landed in the river, a boat came by and "ferried" me 3 miles to Akiachak and i got gas, went back to bethel

I had an engine just as I was breaking 100hrs. I logged two landings that leg.
    I have around 150some hours now.

It doesn't look like most people have replied...

400 hours

1 engine out (It quit while executing a go-around. Landed on the runway with no issue.) (Thank goodness for engine out practice.)

Quote Originally Posted by kcedar View Post
    How many pilots have had one or more engine outs requiring an emergency landing?
    2400 tt

One engine out at about 350 hours. I figured it might quit because it was on fire. Landed on a controlled runway with FD in crash positions. Fire out in 2 minutes.

My claim to fame, totaled an aircraft in flight with 5 SOB, no one hurt.

My friend who is learning to fly right now had and engine out and landed on the inerstate.

Default Engine out...

I lost my engine in a C206 about 5-10 minutes north of downtown Dallas. Was able to glide it down, slip in over a power line, and land in a field. Turned out it was just a training issue... forgot to cover the manual transfer of fuel from the auxiliary tanks into the mains. So, yes... I just ran out of gas. Got the fuel transferred on the ground and took off about 20 minutes after landing. Stupid mistake, but a good lesson... It's the pilot's responsibility to be familiar with the plane before taking off. I'm just glad I wasn't 5 minutes farther south!

bullshop junior

I have never been in a plane.
    BIC/Daniel/BS Jr.

Default forced landings

approx 10,000hrs
    had a IO-520 blow all the oil out. In a PA-31. so I had another engine to limp back on.
    other than that no major problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast