Thread: preventing rust uder scope rings and bases.

Default preventing rust uder scope rings and bases.

I recently removed my scope, rings and bases from my Rem 700 and noticed rust uderneath. I cleaned them up and am getting ready to remount everything. Are there any suggestions or info on how to keep water out to prevent rust in these areas or is it that my rings and bases don't fit properly? Wondering what I can do?

Thanks
    Dono

several manufacturers suggest a light coat of grease on the bottom of the bases and bottom of the rings to help prevent rust. I like to apply a little purple loctite to the threads so be careful not to get any grease in the screw holes. There are probably some other ideas...
    Gary

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

IN the past I have use LPS #3 with good results.............so far as I know. I dont think I have had any reason to pull the bases back off yet though. I have also used, as have several of my friends, a plyable rubber cement. Using just a thin layer between the base and the reciever. To get the bases back off you will have to heat them with a heat gun or iron and then clean off the residue with solvent.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

I think a good buffing of some Carnuba car wax on the area as well as the rest of the firearm would aid greatly. Good question to ask yourself is "when does this stuff wear out"? I use it as a release agent and they use it on vehicles so why not under some parts too?

For years I've placed a very light film of loktite inside of each ring and under the bases. Not only does this prevent any moisture from getting to the metal it also prevents the scope from slipping in the rings on rifles and handguns with heavy recoil, unlike grease. I am friends with a retired gunsmith who is always providing me with helpful hints and this was one of them. I have a couple of rifles that generate HEAVY recoil and was having a problem with the scopes occasionally slipping in the rings while firing. He suggested this and ever since I mount ALL my scopes this way. Haven't had a single problem since.

Hope this helps.

Wipe some Bullfrog inside the rings. It's a VpCI and dries to the touch. It won't grease your rings causing the possiblity of your scope shifting under recoil.
    http://www.rustbloc.com
    Now what ?