Thread: Put my order in at Beaver Sports for

Default Put my order in at Beaver Sports for

a Wenonah 16 ft. Prospector in Tuffweave Flexcore @ 61 lbs. and wood gunnels....delivery in late March or early April...would like to learn to paddle it Canadian style heeled over....I will use it for a moose hunting trip and summer 09 I will paddle from Whitehorse to Dawson City for the second time...Great camping trip....

I strongly considered one of those when canoe shopping a couple of years ago. Should be a great canoe. I ended up getting a 17.5' Hellman Prospector instead while I was passing through Whitehorse because I wanted the extra capacity, but sure nothing wrong with the Wenonah and it will be better for solo than mine.

I wouldn't mind learning the canadian style of paddling either, but since my wife's favorite recreation activity is canoeing, the chance of me ever being on a lake solo is about zero...

Yellowknife

Sounds like a fun summer for you Oneriver.
    Where are you located?

If you don't already visit this site it might be worth your time.
    It's a solo paddling site with quite a few of those strange folks that like to paddle with the canoe on it's side.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default dumb question...

Guys, what's Canadian style?

Thanks, Frank

What we are refering too is a style of solo paddle characterized by kneeling in the center of the canoe, but with the canoe heeled over to one side. It was popular with several old school and very famous canadian canoeists such as Bill Mason. Check out the link for a picture:

http://www.redcanoes.ca/becky/canoe/index.html

Yellowknife

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    Sounds like a fun summer for you Oneriver.
    Where are you located?

If you don't already visit this site it might be worth your time.
    It's a solo paddling site with quite a few of those strange folks that like to paddle with the canoe on it's side.
    I'm in Anchorage...didn't see a site that you mentioned..

Oneriver, you didn't see it because I forgot to post it!!!!!
    Sorry.

http://www.solotripping.com/forums/index.php

Fullcurl, go to Youtube & do s search on "canadian style paddling" & see if anything comes up.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Thumbs up canadian style

the canadian style is very useful in large lakes that may have some wind.
    If you have a longer canoe, and are solo, it works quite well.
    Myself, I did not know it was a technique at all, until I found out on accident one time while in a battle with 20 to 30 mph winds.
    you can catch a line with your boat this way, and paddle on one side only to make a straight line.
    Good information... I guess if I would have read about it before,, it would have been alot easier than just stumbling accross it on my own..
    I guess though ,, that is how others have discovered this Canadian style..
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default Food for thought

Technically Speaking it is actually not Canadian Style it is Voyageur paddling at its best and was adapted by the Metis and all other fur trappers from the native populations of that time who worked the Great Lake Basin to the Hudson and back out the St. Lawrence River, as well as the Mississippi. I know who really cares however family history makes me enter the post.

Tight Lines! Great purchase by the way! Enjoy!

Blue Moose

Very interesting on the Canadian Style/Voyageur paddling. I've put in a lot of miles paddling a canoe but like anything else there's always lots to learn. When it comes right down to it I suppose I'm not a whitewater canoeist either.

Is that style an advantage most of the time, only in strong winds, or only in headwinds?

And what's the physics in the advantage?

It changes the effective hull shape on the water. Visualize a healed over canoe and it's new initial and secondary stability characteristics, it's beam at the waterline and below, it's effective length and the weathering characteristics relative to a healed over profile...

Thanks for that weblink, that's going to be a new favorite for sure!
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Default Hey Yellowknife......I have a great solution for you

to get more solo time in your boat...I just happen to have a Wenonah Vagabond solo boat with sliding seat (composite 44lbs) that would be just perfect for your wife to paddle...its in perfect shape...just a little to small for me....for you a special price...?

ooo... tempt me not, Oneriver. I have only narrowly avoided the solo canoe thing before. I'm trying to save my pennies for a log cabin in the woods. But on the other hand, Valentines Day is coming up....

Isaac

On the other hand, there is something fundamentally wrong with giving a solo canoe for that occasion. Can't think of another excuse at the moment though. Sorry dude, she really would be tickled.

Yellowknife

Default Jumbo shrimp...military intelligence....

solo together.....?