Thread: Fly-In Day Trip from Kenai Area

Default Fly-In Day Trip from Kenai Area

We have a group of people (4 to 6) doing a fly fishing trip focused on the Kenai river in from 8/30 to 9/4. We are hoping to do a one day side trip by way of small plane to a remote river. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to go, what flight services to contact for transport in and out, and a ballpark figure of what it would cost us to do that?

We are looking to get into bows and silvers.

Thanks

Just like sheep huntin'...everybody is tight lipped about secret hot spots and etc. If I knew I'd tell you, but I am not familiar with the Kenai...CK

brooks river probably about $400/pr.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

contact talon air... they're good and will quote you on prices and suggest locations catering to your specific desires.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

thanks markw3 & ak powder monkey. certainly appreciate the responses.

Default Flyout

Do a search for Natron Air out of Soldotna. Tim will get you to the Silvers.
    Have a great trip.

Default Better choices available....

I'd re-think the Brooks River idea. No offense to AKPM as Brooks is neat in it's own way, but I definitely think there are other rivers out there where you can find as good or better fishing with much less people (both fisherman and bear viewers), a much larger length of water to fish and fish that haven't been hammered on since June 8. If you are still interested in flying that far, I may be able to offer a few suggestions. You may have to choose whether silvers or rainbows are more important to your party.

yea brooks isn't the best but you can get there without chartering the plane.

Default crescent lake

Crescent Lake is a short flight from Cooper Landing. Grayling of a decent size available.

Quote Originally Posted by LBenz View Post
    Crescent Lake is a short flight from Cooper Landing. Grayling of a decent size available.

or you could walk 3 hours, much cheaper.

Thumbs up Good point...

I agree on the walking a few hours part. Crescent Lake, Lower Paradise Lake, and Russian Lakes are on top of my list for next trip to the Kenai area. Hiking up Quartz Creek and fishing Resurection Creek near Hope are on the list too. Tons of places to hike into on the Kenai. Got some great info in Scott Haugen's book "Flyfishers Guide to Alaska". Anyone heading to Alaska should have this book. Great info on the when/where. The book is broke down into sections geographically. No surprise there is a whole section on the Kenai Penninsula. Detailed info that tells you exactly how to get there and what fishing can be had there different times of the year. Includes maps of the areas too. Best Alaska fishing book I have bought yet.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.