Thread: Driving Tips from Anchorage to Valdez

Default Driving Tips from Anchorage to Valdez

Howdy folks,

I had a few questions for those of you who know the trip from anchorage to valdez.. We are coming up for our annual trip in sept.. Dates are sept 2 t 18th.. We plan on hitting the kenai for the first week, and going somewhere else the second since we usually spend all our time on the russin and down in seward.. So, were thinking valdez..

In looking for info, i havent found alot about roadside fishing opportunites between anchorage and valdez. As well as sleeping area's since we are going to be in an rv. (no, i havent got the new milepost yet)..

Are the opportunites good in sept for this trip... Catch and release fly fishing only (aside from flatfish lol)... We do want to halibut fish, but didnt know what there is in PWS that time of the year

How long of a trip is it from Valdez back to anchorage.. I know its 356 miles, but how long does the trip actually take time wise

Thanks

Thomas and Kaylin

Default Traffic

Depending on traffic. Leisurely it is 6 hours. It can be done in 5 hours to the airport from Valdez, "but we know the roads." For a tourist, I'd say plan on 7 hours if you stop and eat or sight see a bit. Then if you get there early, it will be a pleasant surprise.

Turn right in GlennAllen. There.....you have all the directions you need too.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I haven't drove from Anchorage to Valdez but I do make the trip from Eagle River to Chitina, and Eagle River to Eureka here and there.

There's not much fishing to be had in September from Palmer to Eureka, atleast IMHO. Maybe Long Lake in Palmer would be the best bet? If the rain gods are nice to you and the water stays clear Lil Nelchina can be ok for small grayling from the highway. Also the campground is free and much more fun than the typical "full service hook up" campgrounds. I don't like the typical full service type camping myself. This spot is a little more woodsie and fits my style. Full hook up service gives me the same feeling as if I was pitching a tent in my living room and spending the night. The downside, mosquito's. Bring the deet, or better yet head nets. But what spot on this highway doesn't have the little flying vermints.

I've heard Mendelta Creek (SP?) (help me out here I can't find my atlas) has decent grayling fishing too. Other than that I would look into Klutina River, I'm sure there would be some silvers running that time of year. That's all I can think of.

Turn right in GlennAllen. There.....you have all the directions you need too.
    Now that's funny!!

Hey Thomas
    Have you checked out the http://roadsideangler.com/
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Default Valdez

The drive to Valdez is one of the prettiest in the state. In September I think a lot of the fishing opportunities will be winding down along the road for salmon. There are places along the road where grayling, trout, and Dolly are accessible. The Klutina may have some Sockeye still in it and there would still be very good silver fishing in Valdez on the saltwater. There are halibut charters running out of Valdez and I have heard good things about Orion charters but have not used them myself. I would check out the Highway Angler book that is available through the link on the top of the page. The book offers a good guide as to the timing of salmon runs and descriptions of most road accessible fisheries as well some helpful tips. There are probably some good opportunities close to anchorage that time of year.

Good Luck

Default valdez

It's 305 miles Anchorage/Valdez not 356.

It is a great drive. I know that I had success with grayling in the Tok and little Tok river just past Glenallen. There are several ADF&G stocked lakes on the way. Or you could just hop onto the ferry and ride from whittier to valdez. It is a beautiful ride.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

You also have to take the Glenn highway exit off the Glenn highway.

Besides the possibilities for fishing, don't forget to have your still camera and/or video camera at the ready.

Toward the end of your trip, fall follage will be nearing its peak. The snow capped mountains on the Richardson Hwy will be spectacular. Take time to stop at the glacier (forgot its name but it's well marked on the hwy) and the Horsetail and Bridal Vail water falls in the Keystone Canyon.

Dobber

Default Worthington

It is Worthington Glacier. Easily seen on the right hand side of the road. Pullout, RV parking and bathrooms.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by big_dog60 View Post
    You also have to take the Glenn highway exit off the Glenn highway.
    Don't forget this part!

So directions:

Take Road North
    Turn Right
    Turn Right

I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by watanacreek View Post
    It's 305 miles Anchorage/Valdez not 356.
    My odometer says 306 from the Glenn/Parks interchange to Valdez.