Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Win Supreme Elite XP3 325wsm for 2008

Default New Win Supreme Elite XP3 325wsm for 2008

1 box of 200gr retails for a measly $87.01.... YEEOUCH! and of course they don't sell the XP3 bullets as reloading components. Not that I care that much. Lots of other 8mm bullets out there. Would be nice to compare them to others though.

Anyway, all you 325 owners who don't handload will now have another choice. 200gr seem to hit the sweet spot ballistically for the 325. It will be interesting to see what the published ballistics are and how they compare to the 200gr accubonds. The XP3 bullet looks better. Like a morph between a Barnes MRX, A-Frame and Partition.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Yikes, thats a lot of coin for 20 shells, sure am glad I started reloading cuz I am guessing we are gonna continue to see price increases on all ammo.

Ya no kidding. MidwayUSA shows they will sell them for 57 and I'm sure SW will be less than retail but holy cow. 4 bucks a round? I think I better buy a bunch of brass and other stuff while it's still fairly inexpensive. I can get 100 185gr Rem corlokts for 20 bucks, 50 220 gr Sierra GameKings for about 18 and 150gr or 170gr Sierras, Hornady or Speers for about 25 per 100. AB's, Partitions, A-Frames, TSX's are about 35-50 per 50.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

The only rounds that would shoot good out of my 300 rum were federal premiums with 200 grain partitions. They were 80 a box but Being a gun I had no desire to go put a bunch of rounds through at the range it did not bother me because I would only probably shoot 5 rounds a year. And when I shot my moose I tell you what that was the best $4 i ever spent! That gun would shoot 4 to 6 inch groups with every other ammo I tried so for a buck more a round to shoot 3/4 inch groups it was well worth it. Then the gun got stolen so end of story.

Default How much?

What the hell does that bullet do? for that much money it had better dress, quarter and carry my animal back to the truck and maybe cook supper when I get back to camp. That is ridiculous, not to mention the waste if your rifle doesn't like them. With tax that's nearly 5 bucks a shot.

If it can disembowl a bear at 50 paces then fine but there are a number of bullets that can kill large game quickly and efficiently for significantly less cash.

Default Jack Morgan

I have found the .300 RUM easy to load for, at least in the BDL-SS Model 700 Rem. Having had two of them, I can't find a better factory rifle. I don't know about factory ammo. I've never bought any. It's too expensive, but I can equal or beat factory published velocities without pressure problems. Accuracy has been superb, with the exception of a couple of bullets. If you are having trouble finding accurate loads, contact me. If factory loads won't shoot well for you, contact me anyway and I can suggest some things that might improve accuracy for you.

The .325 WSM really does it's best work with factory ammo. Since I can't afford factory ammo, or at least refuse to pay what they charge, I won't buy one. If I didn't reload, I would consider a .325, but the ammo prices are astronomical. Of course, I won't pay $35,000 for a pickup truck, either, no matter how "cool" they are. The RUMs are easy to reload for, and they will easily equal factory rated velocities. Not so with the WSMs, the RSAUMs and the "compact magnums". Those cartridges are highly efficient and have a lot to recommend them, but they are not for the hand-loader, unless the handloader is willing to accept reduced velocities.
    You just cannot obtain the proprietary powders that achieve the great performance. You might get good accuracy with cannister powders, but you won't approach factory velocities without going way over the pressure limits, and, with all due respects, it is dumb to hunt with overloaded ammunition. If you want cheaper ammo and good performance, or if you reload, buy a .338 Win., or at least a .300 Win.
    Of course, you can move wayyyyy up from there, but don't try to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. The pigs really resent it.
    Jack.

I have had two 300 rums and the first was a 700 bdl and I never found a load that one liked. I tried a few different factory rounds and a few different hand loads with nothing good. Then my latest was a christionsons arms hunter and I went and bought every box of factory rounds i could find. like 5 boxes at minimum $60 a box. and then I finally found the ammo it liked. I dont handload for the big guns just because I dont shoot enogh rounds through them to make it worth my time to me. Now i have a 300wsm and that shot the first 3 rounds out of it at 3/4 of an inch. Anyways what my point is is that yeah the price for ammo is crazy but if your a hunter and not a big target shooter $4 for a moose/bou/bear is really minute compaired to alot of things that go into hunting like a 3 dollar a gallon gas that you burnt getting to you hunting area. 1 box of ammo will last me 3-4 years depending on how many animals i hunt. One tank of gas will last me a week. For the same price i would way rather be able to hunt for 4 years. but its part of life.

Wow!

At 4 bucks a round you might as well be buying high performance shotgun shells!

That gun got stolen so now im down to $3 a round with my wsm. I would rather be out hunting or fishing than on the reloading bench or at the range testing loads. When I finally buckle down and buy a 338-378 that I keep dreaming about then I will have to start reloading again because of the lack of factory round for it. My view is that if I can buy rounds that do what i need them to I would rather pay the money and save my time for other things.

Well, it looks like Winchester is pretty proud of all their Supreme Elite ammo. It also looks like the 200gr .323 8mm bullet is the heaviest XP3 bullet they make.

These are msrp
    325 wsm 200gr $87.01
    38 win mag not available but the Supreme CT with 225gr Accubonds is $82.87
    300 win mag 180gr $70.82
    300 wsm 180gr $70.82
    7mm 160gr $65.98
    30-06 180gr $56.41 56 bucks for a box of 06 ammo???? Dang...

Default Hunting Ammo

I don't think it is possible to over emphasize the importance of practice with the rifle one plans to use for what ever hunt is in the future. To me it is an individual's responsibility not only to be an accurate shot as a hunter but also as an ethical hunter in an attempt to achieve one shot one kill. It doesn't always happen but I try to do my best to hold up my end of the bargain. That being said I try to shoot as much as I can with the rifle and THE SAME AMMO that I am going to use to hunt with. For me at least 100 rounds is a minimum and that number often approaches 500 or more. Since ammo is not available for my favorite "go to gun" almost out of necessity I handload. I guess my point is one needs to consider the above precepts and if in agreement then consideration for the cost of practice with a particular gun/caliber combination needs to be considered BEFORE purchase. To my way of thinking, if one can not afford to invest in appropriate "range time" with its attendant costs, then perhaps an alternate cartridge/caliber combination should be considered. Right or wrong - just my personal opinion.

I agree with Shphntr. If you are the 30-06 guy who NEVER shoots past 100 yds then maybe you can get away with the old hit the paper plate with 4 out of 5 rounds at 100 yds and then go hunting. But the rounds discussed here i.e.: mags and ultra mags exist specifically for long range hunting and to become proficient at long range you just have to practice at the proposed ranges in a variety of conditions IMHO. Now I think that you can get away with practicing with a non premium bullet of similar weight and construction to your intended hunting round, but you should check your zeroís with the rounds you will be hunting with. It doesnít take more than a gust of wind or a twitch to shoot an animal in the stomach at 400+ yds and thatís just miserable. That being said I can buy premium ammo loaded with Nosler Partition, Barnes and Swift in popular magnums for almost half of the quoted 90 bucks.

There sure seems to be a trend with these ammo manufacturers to put together some super supreme wazoo ammo pacakging and then really jack the price up. Not just Winchester with these rounds. Nosler msrp is 70 bucks for 180gr 300win mag Accubonds. That's why I got in to reloading. I figure ammo's only going to go up in price and I want to shoot more than just a quick sight in before hunting season. I'm still not convinced a guy needs the "premium" bullets anyway. Tons of critters have been killed over the years with GameKings, CorLokts, Hornady Interlocks, ProHunters, etc. Even Accubonds are cheaper than TSX's, Partitions and a-frames. I still have a nice little 7mm 150gr Hornday intlerlock that I recovered from an elk. Looks just as good as the 200gr 8mm Accubond "premium" bullet I recovered from a moose.

This thread makes me glad that I reload. Holy crap.

Quote Originally Posted by 35gibber View Post
    What the hell does that bullet do? for that much money it had better dress, quarter and carry my animal back to the truck and maybe cook supper when I get back to camp. That is ridiculous, not to mention the waste if your rifle doesn't like them. With tax that's nearly 5 bucks a shot.

If it can disembowl a bear at 50 paces then fine but there are a number of bullets that can kill large game quickly and efficiently for significantly less cash.
    Ain't that the truth. Definately pack it back to camp. That just shows how far this market has gone off the deep end. Man has been demonstrating his dominance over animals with guns and bullets for a few centuries now and for the most part, we've done pretty good with just lead bullets. All ammo and components are going up in price but there has to be a limit. There is lots of good ammo out there and the 325 will take just about anything with a 50 cent bullet.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Im not going to argue with you guys about who is the more ethical hunter or who is the better shooter. The rifle I have now I bought because it is lightweight, easy to pack and very accurate. I did not buy it to shoot 400+ yards. Now If you want to be able to go shoot a moose at 500 yards then more power to you. With the lack of rounds I have put through my gun i dont plan on shooting past 250. Once i get time to go shoot it at the 300 meeter range then I will open my maximum range up to that. I Have 10 rounds through my gun and I know that i can go to rabbit creek tomorrow and shoot a 1 inch group or smaller 2 inches high at 100. I also go to the range every time before I hunt to check my zero. I just dont have the desire or the time to go spend my free time at the range. I would like to build a long range gun at somepoint and I agree that i would have to put alot of rounds through it to become accurate at the ranges you are talking about and at that time I will start reloading again. Just because I would rather be out in the woods or fishing during the big game off season insted of at the range does not mean you should come up with biased opinions about a hunter being ethical or not. I will also say when i used to bow hunt whitetail I shot my bow every day so I do agree but with my rifle I am confident and I know my limits and am happy with them. All the point of my original post was that of course I cringe buying ammo at todays high prices but A freezer full of moose is worth the cost to me.

Snyd: werent you working on a handload using a 150 grn bullet for the 325? I don't reload yet but am very interested in a lighter load for sheep and bou.

Default 325

Midway is selling the XP3's for the 325 WSM for 57 bucks.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...810&t=11082005

XP3's are all I use on my .300wm for hunting, they just flat out work!
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Quote Originally Posted by turner1978 View Post
    Midway is selling the XP3's for the 325 WSM for 57 bucks.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...810&t=11082005
    Ya, I mentioned that earlier. But, it does a guy no good in Alaska. Can't get ammo shipped here. Even so, it;s 4 bucks a round.

LuJon,
    I have been crunching numbers and doing research about the possibility of 150 or 170 gr loads for sheep. I'm not totally convinced yet that they would be much of an advantage. The 200gr accubond really hits the sweet spot ballistically. But, the 150's are cheap so I may load some up anyway for the fun and experience and go shoot them. Another 6 weeks and it will be starting to warm up around here.

Check this out. I know it from a calulator but it's interesting. The 200gr AB hits much harder at 400yds and only drops 2 inches more that the 150gr ProHunter. Could make a difference between a wounded or a dead sheep depending on how he was hit. This at a 200yd zero. Zero the 200gr AB at about 275 and it only drops 14 inches at 400.
    Lets se if this works:

BALLISTICS TABLE IN YARDS
    150 gr Sierra ProHunter 150 gr., .336 B.C.
    Range (yards) Muzzle 50 100 200 300 400 500
    Velocity (fps) 3200 3051 2907 2633 2375 2132 1903
    Energy (ft.-lb.) 3410 3101 2815 2310 1879 1514 1207
    Trajectory (200 yd. zero) -1.5 0.4 1.3 0.0 -6.3 -18.8 -39.0

200gr Accubond 200 gr., .450 B.C.
    Range (yards) Muzzle 50 100 200 300 400 500
    Velocity (fps) 2950 2845 2742 2543 2353 2171 1997
    Energy (ft.-lb.) 3865 3593 3338 2872 2458 2092 1771
    Trajectory (200 yd. zero) -1.0 0.9 1.8 0.0 -7.2 -20.6 -41.5
    Come Up in MOA -1.0 -1.8 -1.7 0.0 2.3 4.9 7.9

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast