Thread: Ice fishing - Jewel Lake

Default Ice fishing - Jewel Lake

Took my students to Jewel Lake for the annual ice fishing trip with Fish and Game. Unfortunately no one even had a bite. Talked with one of the gals from Fish and Game and she said over the last three days, only one fish had been caught that she knew of.

Quote Originally Posted by p.j. View Post
    Took my students to Jewel Lake for the annual ice fishing trip with Fish and Game. Unfortunately no one even had a bite. Talked with one of the gals from Fish and Game and she said over the last three days, only one fish had been caught that she knew of.
    According to the hatchery guys I talked to, the lake was last stocked back in early fall. Those fish have had a long time to spread out and dissipate throughout the lake in that time. Add in the catching factor of other anglers and the chances these students would catch a fish has been severely diminished.

the lake could have winterkilled its a pretty small lake
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

The problem is with the stocking, the used to stock much closer (even during) the ice fishing event to make sure the kids had a good time. From someone deeply involved in the event I hear that F&G isn't that concerned with programs such as this and aren't going out of their way to ensure success. There seems to be a different attitude coming out of the office when it comes to community events, that is about all I can or want to say at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    the lake could have winterkilled its a pretty small lake
    The ice is only a bit over a foot deep. I doubt it has winter killed.

Default nothing on aqua view

The ice was 12-14 inches deep. I brought my aqua view for the kids to see. The only thing they saw was a ton of shrimp on the bottom of the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    The ice is only a bit over a foot deep. I doubt it has winter killed.
    it doesn't matter if they stock too many fish in a closed system the DO gets used up and everything dies, I've seen it happen in Beach Lake, foot of ice and ADF&G put like 10,000 kings in it and all the fish died right away.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default hatchery shortages?

I haven't looked up the amount of fish stocked last fall, but with the loss of the warm water source from Elmendorf (did the hatchery close, too?), their production of fish for the stocking programs has been significantly affected, in the short term. At a minimum, the fish they are able to stock are significantly smaller -- maybe fewer of them, too. Things won't be back to "normal" until the new hatchery is completed in Fbks. That's probably a few years away, still.

MrFish has a good handle on this issue. Due to the loss of hot water at the hatcheries it now takes two years to rear a fish to catchable size; a task that used to take only one year. On top of that, even after two years the new "catchable" sized fish are smaller than the fish we able to raise with warm water. In the same space we once raised fish for release in one year; we now have to raise fish for two years worth of releases. I know it is confusing but it really means less fish each year. Some stocking programs were canceled or reduced due to the lack of space (Whittier Chinook salmon for one).

In September of Ď07 we stocked almost 16,000 catchable sized Chinook into Jewel Lake. Jewel Lake is spring fed and we have never had a winter kill. We have also stocked more fish than this in many years. After the first day of poor catching (fishing) during the recent elementary school fishing program we even used an under water camera around the lake to look for these fish, but found nothing. I can only assume that these fish have already been caught. A couple of years ago when then stars aligned and the kids were the first to fish on these catchables at Jewel Lake they caught more than 4,000 in four days. Itís all timing at Jewel Lake due to the high use patterns at this lake. We try to stock these fish as close as we can to the planned dates for this program, but due to concerns at the hatchery it is not always possible.

If everything goes as planned we will start construction of the new hatchery this year. This will allow us to rear fish in modern updated hatchery facility with heated water and more fish capacity than we currently have in both our hatcheries (Ft Rich and Elmendorf). We will be able to bring all our stocking programs back to full strength and allow some to be even stronger. The future of our stocked fish program is bright, but we still still have wait a while longer.

Default Dan

Dan: Thank you for the input. It is a pleasure to have someone from ADF&G on board to help us with questions.

Thanks again for the post.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

My son's school had their ice fishing trip Friday on Finger Lake in the Valley. The Lake had recently been stocked with small Kings and apparently several large Dollies. The kids had a great time and caught alot of small 6" to 8" Kings. My son even won a rod and reel for landing the first fish. I appreciated all the work the Alaska Fish and Game people did to make this work. It was great to see all the kids enjoying the outdoors.

Default Finger Lake

My daughter's class went ice fishing on Finger Lake Friday as well. Several kids caught fish. I took my aqua view and kids were able to see several fish swimming around. They enjoyed seeing the fish as much as catching the fish. It was night and day difference compared to my trip to Jewel lake with my class. Regardless of the two different outcomes, A BIG THANK YOU TO FISH AND GAME for their support to get these kids outdoors and experience fishing.

Default For Kids - Got to Little Campbell Lake

In Kincaid Park.

Freind's group caught 26 stockers (little ones in one hour) last weekend.
    I did the same thing with my group on Saturday 1/27.
    Mostly 7 & 8 inch stocked Chinook.
    If you are willing to deal with the little fish, you will catch plenty until it is fished out