Thread: Donating Meat in Kotzebue or the Villages

Default Donating Meat in Kotzebue or the Villages

I found this ADF&G Division of Wildlife Conservation weblink and thought that it was appropriate for this forum. Information found here could also be applied elsewhere in the State where there are native lands and people.

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index....donating_meat

Donating Meat
    in Kotzebue or the Villages

Donating meat in Kotzebue or the villages
    Please be aware that not everyone may welcome the offer of meat - even if it has been well cared for and is in good condition - as the practice of hunting for antlers is not always viewed favorably by locals. Should you be unable to donate your meat you are still legally responsible for keeping it from spoiling, and should be prepared for taking it home with you.

First - consider keeping the meat for yourself!
    There is no finer meat than wild-grown organic Alaskan game meat! When compared with the cost of shipping your trophy - as well as the cost of high quality meat in the store - the price for getting your own game shipped home is quite reasonable. Besides, the satisfaction and pride that comes from being personally responsible for the meat you put on your own table? Priceless!

Make local contacts in advance
    If you are passing through a village consider making arrangements in advance for donating meat locally before you go out to camp. It is an opportunity to build positive personal relationships.

Don't give questionable meat away. Nobody wants it - and it's against the law.
    No one will be pleased to be offered spoiled or questionable meat - not even for feeding to their dogs. It is the hunter's responsibility to keep their meat in a condition suitable for human consumption. If you give away spoiled meat to be used as dog food, both you and the recipient may be cited for waste.

Who to contact in Kotzebue
    Northern Air Cargo (NAC) voluntarily accepts well-cared for meat in good condition to be flown to the Anchorage Food Bank. They will not accept questionable or spoiled meat. Call them in Kotzebue at 442-2744. Note: They are only open during normal work hours Monday through Saturday. Plan ahead.

Your guide or transporter may also have a means of getting your meat donated, but you must still complete the 'Transfer of Possession' form (discussed below) when you transfer your meat to your guide, transporter or Northern Air Cargo. This protects you should your meat spoil after it has left your possession.

Who to contact in the villages
    In the smaller villages you could try asking at the Tribal or City Office, village store or the post office for suggestions on who to contact. Again, not everyone may respond positively to the offer of meat. You must still complete the meat transfer form

Meat transfer forms must be completed. This protects you!
    Hunters are required to complete a simple form whenever they donate or transfer their game meat to someone else. This also applies if you are giving your meat to someone else, like a guide or air taxi service, to transport to Kotzebue for you - even if you intend to reclaim the meat. Law enforcement agents may ask you to produce this form to prove that you have legally transferred your meat and not wasted it. This protects you!

For your convenience the form is printed in duplicate on the inside of the back page of the regulations booklet, available at any ADF&G office or online at: http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...gulations.main. One copy is for the hunter to keep and one copy is for the recipient of the meat to keep. If you don't have this form you can write out your own statement - in duplicate. Include:
    your name, address and phone number
    your hunting license number
    the species of animal
    the specific parts transferred
    the date and location of kill
    the recipients name, address and phone number
    the recipient's signature - very important!
    a statement if the transfer is permanent or if the meat will be returned to you
    You are to keep one copy and the recipient is to keep the duplicate copy. This demonstrates that you have properly transferred ownership and responsibility of the meat. Protect yourself!

What if you can't help it and your meat spoils?
    If you return to Kotzebue with questionable or spoiled meat, contact the State Troopers (442-3222) to determine how to proceed. If you are calling from a village call toll-free 1-800-789-3222.

Mark

I just want to take the opportunity to let everyone know that I like donated meat that has been taken good care of, especially when donated to me.

I don't need any antlers.

PMs are welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I just want to take the opportunity to let everyone know that I like donated meat that has been taken good care of, especially when donated to me.

I don't need any antlers.

PMs are welcome.
    Make that x2.
    I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Thomas Jefferson

Default donated meat

We donated in Kotz last Sept. We arrived in town a day early so we could go to a few businesses, we wanted to arrange a donation if we were lucky enough to have had a good hunt. When we returned we contacted the people and they happily showed up. We did not donate because we only wanted the trophies, we wanted to donate to the folks who's region we were lucky enough to hunt in. We came home with a freezer full of meat and hopefully made it a easier winter for a few locals
    RC

When I attended UAF back in the early 90s went out on a fall moose hunt with my buddies, we got a nice bull. Students we knew at the university really appreciated getting some of the meat. Would probably be fairly easy to distribute the meat on campus too. Just a thought.