Thread: modifing shrimp pots

Default modifing shrimp pots

Has anybody covered two sides and the tops of their pots with fabric in order to simulate a "cave"? I have been told this doesn't violate the law, I'm just wondering if its worth the trouble.

In my opinion all it does is make the pots into kites to sail away in the current. Do you think the shrimp can see a "cave" at 500 ft deep??? Just my opinion

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I've tried pots covered vs. uncovered and found no difference in the amount of shrimp they get. And the fabric adds drag and makes it harder to pull the pots. As far as how much you can cover them and still be legal, I've forgotten but it's stated in the fishing regs.

Default Bucket loads of shrimp technique revealed at last

Tried it on a couple of pots. Seemed like a waste of time. Difficult to lower pots straight down quickly. They scooted around with a glider effect on the way down. Way slower and harder to pull up. Could not tell any difference in catch. Ripped the covers off and tossed them in the trash after a couple sets.
    OK, here it is, the secret to catching bucket loads of shrimp revealed at last: First, you t........, argggg my computer is on the blink....

Default Pots

Thanks for the info, Its always good to hear what other people think. I have noticed the gliding but just dismissed it. Come to think of it I did pull up a tangle mess of pots a few years back that was probaly due to the pots sailing away. Oh well thats how you learn, see you out there!

Todd

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    In my opinion all it does is make the pots into kites to sail away in the current. Do you think the shrimp can see a "cave" at 500 ft deep??? Just my opinion
    Second that.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default IF

If they can't "see" then how do they hide in the rocks. I think it is more of a feel, with the antenna more than seeing. Same goes for octopus, they find caves and hiding places. They must have a way to "visualize" where they are.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Dave,
    I used to have a pet lobster in a tank back when i was lobster fish'in back east. When it was feeding time i would put a piece of fish on a wire and just move it around the top of the tank, as soon as the scent of the fish spread out in the water that little buggers antena's would start whipping around, he/she knew food was near and was trying to find it. If i moved the fish close to him/her? it would slash around with the claws trying to catch it. I'm convinced they feed by smell more than sight.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692