Thread: First Timer Hunt Logistics Question

Default First Timer Hunt Logistics Question

I'll be flying out of Ft Yukon and hopefully back in with a moose come September. Can I get processing in Ft Yukon or do I transport Mr. Moose back to Fairbanks? If back to Fairbanks, would that be as excess baggage on my return flight there or is there a cargo service? I appreciate any guidance given. Thanks.

I'm not aware of any meat processors in Fort Yukon. Your best bet in the Fairbanks area is Delta Meat and Sausage in Delta Junction. They've done a few animals for me and have done a nice job. Wright Air allows 40 pounds of checked baggage on their flights to and from Ft Yukon and extra baggage is $.50 per pound.

just take it to the smokehouse on Davis Road and Peger (Fairbanks), they did my moose up for me .....CK

Default Fort Yukon

I also believe you will need to get it proccesed when back in Fairbanks, but if you are looking to donate any meat there will be plenty of takers in Fort Yukon to take the meat from you if you choose not to take it all back.

Default Meat care

Glad to hear your planning on taking your meat home with you. if you take really good care of your meat, you wont have problems donating some of it in Ft Yukon if need be. Delta Meat And Saugage does a good job but kinda out of the way for you, Santas smoke house or McPeaks in the Fairbanks area does a good job also

Default Age the meat a bit

If you are only going to be in Ft. Yukon for a day or so after the hunt, you probably won't want to process the meat there unless you have had it hanging in camp a while before that. Typically, you want the meat to be aged (different duration depending on temps). If you shoot it and have it processed right away, you will likely have some really tough meat unless you make a point to allow it to do it's aging after thawing and before cooking.

I process any meat I get myself, so I am not familiar with how the commercial processors work. Do the processors take into account any time for aging or do they just cut and freeze as soon as they can after you bring it in?

Default only if

you leave the meat on the bone, if you debone your meat right after the kill, or before rigger sets in it wont really matter if you age it first. If at all possible leave the meat on the bone for 24 hours, it will help with the tenderness of the meat

I fyour flying into the hunting area via a chartered aircraft then you should be able to bring it out with you when you return to Fairbanks with no extra cost.

If I take Mr Moose as excess baggage on Wright from Ft Yukon to Fairbanks, do I leave it in quarters and bags or do I need to bone it and box it? This is probably a silly question but how do I move Mr Moose around in Fairbanks, say getting from the Wright terminal to a meat processer? Thanks for all info.

Default fairbanks travel

Well you will most likely need to rent a vehicle. It sure makes getting around easier! You could always call a cab, Wright will do that for you if you ask.
    Also depending on where you are staying in town they may have a courtesy van that will shuttle you around. As far as on /off the bone, your choice but i would suggest on the bone,it will keep better in the field & if you are getting it proccesed they will take care of it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    If I take Mr Moose as excess baggage on Wright from Ft Yukon to Fairbanks, do I leave it in quarters and bags or do I need to bone it and box it? This is probably a silly question but how do I move Mr Moose around in Fairbanks, say getting from the Wright terminal to a meat processer? Thanks for all info.

Have you posed any of these questions to your air taxi operator? Typically they are pretty familiar with how to get the immediately pre and post hunt logistics taken care of and can tell you exactly what they would like you to do and what other hunters in similar situations have done.

One thing that has not been mentioned is that you will probably need to spend the night in Fairbanks both before and after your trip. Hotels are expensive there in the summer and book up early. You'll end up in the Ranch Motel on South Cushman if you wait too long!