Thread: ejection problem

Tupper Lake, NEW YORK IN THE CENTER OF THE ADIRONDACK MTS.

Default ejection problem

A good friend of mine has a beautifulpre-64 Model 70 in .308 cal.. It hangs up on the ejection . A local gunsmith replaced the claw extractor but it still hangs a shell most of the time. What else might his problem be ??? He loves to hunt with the gun but is afraid to. Any ideas out there ???

Default Let's try this again...

You said the extractor was replaced, but it fails to eject sometimes. Extraction is pulling the case from the chamber, the claw extractor does that. Ejection is pitching the case out of the action. If the M-70 ejector is bent, sometimes it will knock the case off the extractor and drop it on top of the magazine follower or loaded rounds. Is that what is happening? Sometimes this same thing can happen if the extractor doesn't get a good purchase on the case rim and as soon as the case hits the ejector, it falls.

The tip of the ejector can get worn so that the angle is wrong and a similar thing happens. As with all of these types of problems, they usually work ok most of the time but once in a while they fail. This action should work when cycled quickly as well as not so quickly but if done extremely slow it probably will drop the case on the follower and not kick it out.

This assumes the bolt/extractor/rails have not been modified or excessively worn. If your smith just worked on it to correct this problem, give him another shot, nobody's perfect.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Tupper Lake, NEW YORK IN THE CENTER OF THE ADIRONDACK MTS.

Default M-70 ejection

Thank you for your prompt and professional response. I called my buddy and read him your answer and it covered his problem. His gun extracts but does not eject. He is going to have the worn ejector worked on. THANKS!!!