Thread: Marsh Fork Canning Float Hunt

Arrow Marsh Fork Canning Float Hunt

I thoroughly enjoy this Board and visit it daily. Many of you have shared much valuable information on numerous subjects and I greatly appreciate your insight.

Since I am new to this Board, allow me to introduce myself. I am an avid outdoorsman who is pushing 40 but still in great physical condition. I grew up in MT and hunted all the big game species available in MT for 25 years before moving to AK last year. I am new to float hunting but have been heavily researching (I have found the prolonged winter darkness allows me plenty of time for this ), making lists, and have begun acquiring gear specific to the above hunt. I have set up my finances so I can do one and only one hunt of this caliber each year, so this is it for me in 2008.

The reason I selected this particular area for my first float hunt is I worked in a north slope village last summer and spoke at length several times with the pilot of a local air taxi service. I also spoke with several hunters that were on their way in to hunt sheep, but unfortunately none were float hunting. The discussions I had with the pilot are what gave me the bug to try the above float hunt for sheep and caribou. My research has shown the stretch of river to be Class I to II so the actual float should not be a problem aside from the question of whether or not the upper stretches will have enough water to minimize "float dragging". For me, success on this hunt will be giving it everything I have, enjoying the experience from start to finish, with bringing home my first AK big game animal simply icing on the cake.

My questions as of now are:
    - Have any of you float hunted this section of river? IF so, do you have any pointers for me?
    - What number of other hunters should I expect to encounter?
    - Success rate for sheep (yes, I am aware of the data on the DF&G website), but how about some fairly recent data from those of you with first-hand experience?
    - Success rate for bou?
    - Any other constructive information to offer?

I would prefer if you would PM because I do not like spreading info on the web any more than anyone else. If any of you want info on hunting MT, feel free to ask!

Thank you in advance!

Default Low water

Good luck finding floatable water up the MF, even where the MF hits the Cainning is low on normal years. If we have a wet Aug up there it might not be real bad, but it would have been a real Bi$*&%*$ to float it the past couple years. You would have been dragging for days

I researched this hunt and it is very doable. I have friends who have floated this same stretch you are talking about and they saw about one hundred and fifty caribou in 7 days and all took animals. They did not run in to any other hunters, nor did they see sheep within a reasonable distance. They did see one grizzly but passed it up. For a flight operator I would recommend Coyote Air, operated by a guy named Derk.

Good Luck!

Sorry, meant to say water level would be the only obstacle (weather impending!), dragging is not a fun thing to do!

Thanks ak02 and HT for your input.

Anyone else have anything to add?

Default air svc

Yeah, I would check on other options. That is a long way for Dirk to fly as he is out of coldfoot.

Check with Bob Bursiel, owner Wright Air for Helio to the Marsh Fork of the Canning River 800 478-0502

Default Flying from

Fairbanks is going to cost you an arm and a leg, you can take a cargo from Fairbanks on Wrights to Ft Yulon then out from there, Call Kirk of Ft Yukon Air he can get you in there

He can also fly to Bettles and from there to the Canning via BRA or Bettles Air service.

Thanks for laying out the flying service options. i have a reservation with walt audi's air taxi service. i bet a few of you may have a word or two to say about that...

You better stay on top of that one with Walt!!!!!!!!! He will forget about you if you don't.