Thread: Shipping meat

Default Shipping meat

I decided to branch off the "do you eat what you shot" thread, as it got me thinking about what it's gonna cost me to ship my meat this year. I will be needing to ship moose back from Aniak all the way to Juneau. Any ideas as to what this is going to cost? I do have access to a FedEx free shipping number but Im not sure if they operate out of Aniak in anyway. I really doubt it. 450 pounds plus of meat shipping from Aniak to Juneau.....any idea's or factual knowledge in shipping costs?

Thirty seconds on google found this:

http://www.penair.com/freight_rates.html

Looks like about $0.60 per pound from Aniak to Anc. Probably a little less than that from Anc to Jun.

Default NAC??

If Northern Air Cargo is in Aniak, you might check with them too, I've had them fly meat from Dillingham and Iliamna to Anchorage in the past with no problems, there are some days they're not open though.Not sure what they charge these days, a few years ago I believe it was .32 per pound, but that was before fuel prices went up.

I'm just about to fork over a big chunk of change to Alaska Airlines to Goldstreak my processed bison back from Montana. I did some estimates on line and it is looking like $400-$500 for the 650 pounds of meat. Could be cheaper going cargo, but don't want to risk the meat, especially since it is going on Horizon first, and Horizon does not have coolers.

Like was said before, I'd look into Northern Air Cargo as they could ship it directly to Juneau I believe. Might be difficult to arrange transferring from one carrier to another in Anchorage if you aren't there to do it yourself.

Cannery Creek Hatchery, Prince William Sound

According to their website, Northern Air Cargo flies out of Aniak. The backhaul rate from Aniak to Anchorage is .29/lb + a fuel surcharge of 25%. Their backhaul rate is very reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by shart View Post
    I'm just about to fork over a big chunk of change to Alaska Airlines to Goldstreak my processed bison back from Montana. I did some estimates on line and it is looking like $400-$500 for the 650 pounds of meat. Could be cheaper going cargo, but don't want to risk the meat, especially since it is going on Horizon first, and Horizon does not have coolers.

Like was said before, I'd look into Northern Air Cargo as they could ship it directly to Juneau I believe. Might be difficult to arrange transferring from one carrier to another in Anchorage if you aren't there to do it yourself.
    Less than a buck a pound for some nice Montana Buffalo..mmmmm sounds like a deal to me.

When I moved here from Montana in 91 the antis had just succeeded in getting the Bison hunt closed. Nice to know it's back. Congrats on your Buffalo.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default Air Cargo

It's true that the back-haul rates from ANI to ANC are half the outgoing rates. But you need to know that when it goes from Anchorage to Juneau you will pay full rate. Generally speaking, loads coming out of the Bush are cheaper because most Bush communities don't ship a lot of freight-- they RECEIVE a lot of freight (groceries, mostly), but they don't ship a lot. Consequently, the carriers give them a break on the back-haul.

In addition to NAC you might also give Everts a call. But really watch your meat. They left mine out on the ramp one year for an extra day and we almost lost it. MAKE SURE it goes out on the first available, or you could lose it to spoilage. You can make arrangements for it to be held in a freezer in Anchorage while it waits for shipment to you in Juneau.

When you ship it from ANI to ANC, you can get away with putting it in a tarp on a pallet, but if you ship it from Anchorage to Juneau on Alaska Airlines Cargo, they will expect it to be in fish boxes or other leakproof containers, as it may be loaded by hand in the belly of the aircraft.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Shipping Meat

I've been shipping meat out of Anchorage to Petersburg for about 15 years. We have always had excellent results just using Alaska Air. The last time I shipped it was $0.49 per pound. That still is not bad, don't know what it is today however. It always got her frozen. Jim

When using Alaska Air Cargo, be sure to start the process of becoming a "known shipper" at least a month out. Six weeks would be better. It's not cumbersome or complicated, but it can be time consuming. All the info is on their website.

Once you've got a known shipper number, they really like it if you bring it to the cargo office with you. For some reason they can be really grumpy about looking you up.