Thread: Whats a good boresighter?

Default Whats a good boresighter?

I have been casually looking for a bore sighter and noticed there are several different kinds. Was wondering if anyone can give me advice, suggestions, info, or whatever to help me decide which one to possibly get?

Spokane, Washington

Default Your Eyeball

I've used the lazer ones and they work OK, a bit tough to see on the target in bright sunlight, but I prefer to use my eyes. I set up the rifle on a 100 yard bench without the bolt in place and adjust the gun untill the target is centered in the view down the barrel. Now the tricky part; without moving the gun adjust the scope until the target is also centered. I've found a couple sand bags on top of the rifle help hold everything in place. Of course this only works on bolt action guns, but I've found I can do pretty good with lever action and autos just by looking down the side of the barrel. I start on the 50 yard bench with the laver action and auto rifles. To save on ammo, esp the expensive stuff, I use white butcher paper behind my target so I can tell for sure where I hitting. Good Shooting

Palmer, AK

I had both of the last two rifles I bought bore sighted and they were both no where close to being on the paper at 100 yards. one hit at least 4 feet to the right( thats a LOT of clicks). I jut shoot from 30 yards get it breaking the center verticle line about 1-1.5 inches low then back out to 100 and get it set for about 2" high (depending on cartridge). Then I check for zero at 200 yards. With a good vise/rest I found that I was able to be shooting and hitting in just a few rounds, as long as I took my time. I got my rifle shooting 2-2.5" high at 100yds with 5 shots which at $55 a box is alot better than wasting time and bullets($$$) trying to hit your first shots from 100 plus yards after a scope change.

Default RC will assist with bore sighting most of the time

Just so everyone knows, Rabbit Creek has a bore sighter (several actually) which we will help folks utilize if the staff has time. It will usually at least get you on paper to start off..