Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learn to Build Your Own Rods?

Default Learn to Build Your Own Rods?

Anyone looking to learn how to build your own rods? I have an old L.A. Garcia vcr tape of learning how to build fly rods. Have had it for several years, but only watched it two or three times. If you are in Anchorage you can pick it up or I'll drop off. Am in the middle of building one now too, so if you want to see how it's done, c'mon by. If out of town, I'll send it media mail to ya. Just looking to get rid of some old stuff that I don't need anymore. Drop me a pm.

Mt view sports offers a class on rod building. shoot me a pm and ill try and find out when its going to start this year...

building rods is really really easy like easier than tying flies. I won't buy another preassembled rod.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    building rods is really really easy like easier than tying flies. I won't buy another preassembled rod.
    I have actually never bought a pre-assembled fly rod. My first rod was a plueger that was bought for me. I have built every rod of mine since then. Great times.

shoot now ya tell me....after I have a rod of almost every size and more then a couple of 2's in the same size, here I couldhave been making my own.

Do you really save anything by doing it? is the warrenty still good if you build it yourself? Something for me to consider later on in life...right now I have enough rods to....well fish for a long long time

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    shoot now ya tell me....after I have a rod of almost every size and more then a couple of 2's in the same size, here I couldhave been making my own.

Do you really save anything by doing it? is the warrenty still good if you build it yourself? Something for me to consider later on in life...right now I have enough rods to....well fish for a long long time
    TradBow:

Yep, you could have been making your own. Does it save you money? I would have to say yes and no. If you buy equipment and tools, etc. to build one rod, probably not. If you do many rods, probably so. For example, I am currently building a Sage Xi2 8 wt. I paid about $260 for the blank (got a great deal through Cabelas somehow), and about another $100 or so in cork, guides, reel seat, etc. give or take a few bucks. I think the factory rod sells for about $640(?) or so on this one. I am sure I have less than $400 in it.

When I was in college, I started building my own, then some people wanted me to build some for them. I ended up getting a business license and built several dozen over the course of a few years. All of my equipment, blanks, etc. I got at wholesale, and they were written off taxwise. Worked out great. Back then, I was definitely saving money building my own. I think I still do since I have all the equipment now, but it is just great to have my own rods that I built.

I remember starting to tie flies, someone told me there is nothing like catching a fish on a fly you tied. Expanding that out, it is great to catch fish on a rod you built, with a fly you tied.

If you want to dabble, drop me a pm, and the video is yours.

are you in the interior?

I'll take the video....now you've got me thinking. Not only building my own rods but repair the charter rods I use in the summer. Save the boss some money and learn on someone else's dime, not a bad idear.

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    are you in the interior?

I'll take the video....now you've got me thinking. Not only building my own rods but repair the charter rods I use in the summer. Save the boss some money and learn on someone else's dime, not a bad idear.
    Sent you a pm.

my next project is a 14 foot 9/10 wt. It'll be $200 cheaper than any other rod that was pre build. Most companies warrentee the blank.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Id like to know when the next rod building class is. My wife and I are both Fly rodders. Lots of rods but would love to build a nice 9' 6wt for the fall bows for her and I. I could make 2 sweet fly rods and my wife (who loves to catch those bows and dolly's) would really appreciate it. Gotta love the wife who loves to fish and the weather is not a factor.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Id like to know when the next rod building class is. My wife and I are both Fly rodders. Lots of rods but would love to build a nice 9' 6wt for the fall bows for her and I. I could make 2 sweet fly rods and my wife (who loves to catch those bows and dolly's) would really appreciate it. Gotta love the wife who loves to fish and the weather is not a factor.
    The classes that I am aware of in Anchorage are run by a guy named Eric over at Mountain View Sports on Old Seward near Sagaya's. He is a pretty nice guy and I've bought a few parts here and there from him special order. Always helpful. I haven't seen any of his finished product yet though, so I can't really comment on his work. I don't know what the classes cost.

I started by reading lots on the internet and had L.A. Garcia's video. My first rod I rewrapped numerous times before applying the final finish. There are some forums out there on the subject that you can read posts, ask questions, etc. As with anything else (and much like fly tying), you figure out tricks and what works for you.

Great sites to start with:

www.rodbuilding.org (great library and forums, very nice and helpful folks)

www.mudhole.com (decent site for ordering parts and I think they have some tutorial stuff on their site as well)

www.hookhack.com - this is Hook and Hackle, which is probably the most reasonably priced place to order blanks and parts, especially for starting out. My first rod I ever built was a 9 foot 9 weight H&H blank. Still have it. It had a lifetime warranty and several years ago I broke the tip about 2 inches off. I called up for a replacement blank and he offered me either a replacement blank, or a whole new kit for another rod at something like 60% off. I placed the tip top down a couple inches and ordered a whole new setup - that time I bought a St. Croix Ultra Legend.

Thanks so much JMG. Ill be looking into those sites over the weekend with my coffee and maybe another beverage of choice dreaming about the fishing to come. As usual all he folks on here are helpful. Thanks Again
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Hey there alaskachuck,

Noticed you are interested in building your own flyrods. I started a side business last year doing the same. Check out www.rodbuildingforum.com.
    It is by far the best website for information and people willing to help newbies. No question will go unanswered. Hope to see you there. I go by AKTrouter on there as well....

Ken

Default Rod building Club?

I didn't realize there was so much interest in building rods. We should form some kind of rod building club. I have been building for several years, and would be willing to help out the Newbies. I will throw out the disclaimer that I work a weird schedule so I would need someone else to help me get this rolling You can email me at 907rodbuilder@gmail.com if your interested

Default I should expand

This group would not be solely for Fly rods. You can build whatever type of rod you desire. There is a lot of opportunity for people to learn rod building, or expand their current knowledge. I can bring an assortment of rods down for people to look at to see the different things you can do. I will also throw out that Mountain View sports, as well as 3 rivers in Wasilla offer rod building classes. I feel that if you have a group to draw from you learn a lot more, and learn different ways of doing things. I may also be able to arrange a place for everyone to meet at. I would have to look into that before everything was finalized
    if you go to the Rodbuilding.org forum you will see posts from a rod building club called NERBS (North East Rodbuilders). They do a lot together, and have a lot of fun.

Email me at 907rodbuilder@gmail.com if your interested

Where are you located? Seems all the fun stuff like this is in anchor town which unfortunatly for me is to dog gone far away for most of my 'want to's' trips

Default Yeppers Anchorage

I did see someone from Fairbanks area talking about starting a rodbuilding shop up there. That is where I learned to build rods initially was at a small local shop here in Anchorage. Most of the time they provide an area for people to come in and build their own rods, and let you learn at your own pace

Anchorage here as well. I don't recall if they have had anything on rod building before, but I would imagine that in the Alaska Flyfisher's club here in town that there are at least a handful of people who build.

HighPockets - the only rods I have ever built were fly rods, mostly because that is what I fish mainly with. I would love to do a nice halibut rod sometime though. While I do some trim bands and have even done feather inlays on my fly rods, they are generally much simpler than custom halibut rods with diamond wraps, etc. I think fly rods tend to not have enough rod to put things like that on very often.

Default Fancy fly rods

JMG
    I do quite a bit of fancy stuff on fly rods. There is speculation that it impede's the action on the rod, but I am not sure that it really does. It is funny you mention building a halibut rod. I am getting ready to experiment with a "Whopper Stopper" Style rod. They are 42" long in total length. They say they are awesome for people with a bad back or kids. Much easier to get some leverage on the fish with them. Thing is with that short of a rod blank there isn't much room for fancy stuff. Once I get the parts I will have to see what I can do for adding some Bling to it.
    I just thought I would throw out the idea of getting some kind of rod building organization going. I think it would be fun. I am an American Legion member and I am fairly certain they would let us meet in the dining area for little or no cost.

The AK flyfishers offers at least 1 rod building class a year and will do a second one if enough people are interested, at least that's what i was told. There's one finishing up now, hopefully they'll do another one so i can get in on it. The class is free, all you do is buy the materials and rod blank of your choice. The warranty from the blank manufacturer covers only the blank...so if it breaks, you get new unfinished blank, not a finished rod.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast