Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is bears really that tough...?

Default Is bears really that tough...?

I have this new gun that I want to use for bear protection and was wondering if it would work ok. Does anybody have any 'sperience with the 44 special for big brown furry bears?

Just kidding!

I just want to talk about my new gun but nobody wants to say anything unless it's about bears, so I thought I'd try that. OK. I'll tellya what I'm going to do if you all promise to ooh and aah heavily I'll post a picture, maybe.

So. What's wrong with being childish?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Whatcha get?

Default not really

I don't think they're all that tough at all. My kid sleeps with one every night. I am fairly confident that if I ever had to, I could probably put it down with a 22 LR.

Smile N Frames

Murph:

To each his own, but I've always felt a Model 24 was like buying a full sized pick up with a 4 banger engine.

JMHO

7 STW

Default Could be worse...

The Buffalo Bore 255 Keith is respectable for a .44 Special. I took a .44 Special on my first float trip in NW Alaska. After seeing how big the bears were, I felt like I had a pee shooter. But it is better than nothing. Needless to say, the rest of my trips I had more firepower. I got the Marlin SS Guide Gun and S&W 500 with 4" barrel. Where is the pic of that .44! Here are the numbers on the Buffalo Bore.

Item No. 14B 255 gr. SWC (Keith-type)
    gascheck 1000 fps
    566 ft. lbs.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Model 24 -----ENVIOUS!!!!!

Loved the one I had! No reason to have something that pounds the bejeebers out of ya all the time, and those .44 Specials, with less room in the case are a heckuva lot more efficient that downloaded .44 Mag cases.
    Mine shot 'minute of beer can' WAAAAY out beyond what normal folks would figure is pistol range.
    A full size pickup with a four banger? Not hardly! A two barrel 283 maybe, but with the right gears and tires, it'll get the job done! Besides, I figured it was common knowledge that with the right tranny, you could move a freight train with a Maytag washin' machine engine.....

I've made my speech on fast and accurate double action shooting already. Anything short of that, you're fooling yourself on protection. Murph's got just the right tool for it in my book. I'd take this over a 500 S&W any day because I could shoot it better. And I have no doubt heavy HC lead landing in the right place will do the job, even at the moderate velocities of a 44 special.

Talking Murphy!

Nobody wants to see your new toy and nobody cares, OK? And I thought you got therapy for that weird Scottish thing you were doing to little bears ("KILT me a bear") back when you were younger? Anyway, I'm just being childish, so let's see yer new hogleg...hope you can put it to good use. I might be wrong, but it seems as though you might possibly revert (a reverbate) back to your kilting mode. Have mercy...Murphy's on the loose. Take care, ciao.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

ooh, ahh......heavily. Where's da picture?

Besides we all knows ya didn't git it to shoot bears with. Ya was just fillin another nitch and everyboby but the wives understands that line of thinking! So can we see it? Perdy please!

Murphy, Is it one of the Lew Horton ones? 1950 target models? I had a brand splinter new one back in the mid 80's....shoulda never let that one get away! Firing pin on the hammer, 3 inch barrel and shot like a million bucks.

Thumbs up S&w 24

Murphy,
    You dawg, I'm jealous. You dirty dawg, I'm jealous. You dawg.... did I already say that
    I know Murphy's been on at least two forums braggin on the 44- in bold print no less! you'd think he'd just had a new grandkid
    Seriously, you're going to love it. Easy to shoot and easy to load. Heck I even like the 44 Roosky.
    Slug the bore and see what her grooves are. Shoot cast at or .001 over groove.... if the round fits the cylinder and bullet fits the throat.
    Cast Performance makes a really good 255 hardcast bullet at .430 if it fits and should work great over Unique.
    For just plain plinking fun might try a smaller, softer cast over Trailboss.
    You dawg.... Think I already said that. oh well

Default Dangerous

YEA ! Big Bears are so dangerous you really ought to give me that Model 24 and get yourself one of them KILL'EM-AND-EAT'EM new fangled 500 S&W Magnums with a 10" barrel (for maximum velocity).
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Murphy, Is it one of the Lew Horton ones? 1950 target models? I had a brand splinter new one back in the mid 80's....shoulda never let that one get away! Firing pin on the hammer, 3 inch barrel and shot like a million bucks.

Well, I don't know. The Lew Horton guns usually start with LEW in the serial number, this one does not. It is numbered like the early eighties Lew Horton S&W's....(ABC0123)

S&W telephone talking head expert that sat at the serial number computer said; Not all Lew Horton start with LEW but usually they did. The s/n puts this one as late 1984.

The Blue Book (Fjestads, I think) Said; a short run of M24's in 44 special were made in 1983 and the were in barrel length of of 4", 5" (rare), 6" and 8 3/8". It does not mention 3" barrels for this short run and also this run was just square butt.

It was wearing the 1980's vintage smooth "combat" grips with the finger placement grooves, which is what was on the Lew Horton round butt guns I've seen, so it is my guess it is a Lew Horton gun or just part of an overrun of them that Horton didn't get and it was sold through regular channels. Was you gun a square or round butt gun?

It is a dash 3 gun, it is not pinned or recessed and it has the three screw side plate with no screw in front of the trigger guard and the pin on the hammer where it belongs. It is the fourth model Hand ejector, N frame, commonly referred to as the 1950 Target, caliber 44 special. Smith & Wesson started stamping this model as the model 24 in 1957. This model was discontinued in 1966 after the 44 mag was selling so well. The fixed sight version of this gun was the 1950 Military model and it became the model 21 in 1957. There were only about 1200 of these made after WWII. It is remade now as the Thunder Ranch special, and is aquare butt, like the recent run of 3" N frame guns with the new, old, diamond grips.

I have another M24-2, four inch gun which is, of course, square butt. I bought it at an auction for about $270 in the original box with the plastic bag of cleaning rod, screw, etc. and all papers, about 15 years ago. It was made in 1964, the dash 2 change was 1961.

I guess I could talk (or write) about S&W revolvers all day. Didn't mean to get carried away.
    Last edited by Murphy; 01-19-2008 at 00:21.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default S & W 24

Murphy,
    I believe your guess about the pedigree is as good as any. The S&W book by Supica and Nahas has basically the same info as the S&W rep gave you. The Lew Horton run also had the red insert in the front Baughman ramp and the white outline rear. Imagine your gun could have regular sights or the Lew Horton run with inserts and outlines...... either way likely a clean up of the Lew Horton run was put out for regular sale- and the late '84 date would make sense. Doubt that a regular production run of roundbutt 3" N frames in 44 Spl would go un-recorded in S&W archives. For the rabid S&W variation collector- probably a pretty rare bird

Murphy, Mine was nickel and had a square butt. I just looked in my old Hornady book and my pet load was a 240 grain semi wad cutter on top of 6 grains of unique.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Murphy,
    I believe your guess about the pedigree is as good as any. The S&W book by Supica and Nahas has basically the same info as the S&W rep gave you. The Lew Horton run also had the red insert in the front Baughman ramp and the white outline rear. Imagine your gun could have regular sights or the Lew Horton run with inserts and outlines...... either way likely a clean up of the Lew Horton run was put out for regular sale- and the late '84 date would make sense. Doubt that a regular production run of roundbutt 3" N frames in 44 Spl would go un-recorded in S&W archives. For the rabid S&W variation collector- probably a pretty rare bird
    George,

I'm sure you're right. Mine does have the Horton sights of red insert and white outline rear. It's my guess that it was more or less a clean up of the order. There were only about 5000 m24, 1950 target guns made from 1950 'til 1966, then probably about that many in 1983-1984 for the special run, which included the Lew Horton order. The Horton order was likely the catalist for the special run in the first place. I'm gald to have one from each "batch" .

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Murphy, Mine was nickel and had a square butt. I just looked in my old Hornady book and my pet load was a 240 grain semi wad cutter on top of 6 grains of unique.
    A good load for sure and we can run that up a little with 8.0 probably being a realistic limit and stay in the specials pressure limits. I just loaded a few tonight, I have no Unique, so I used Power Pistol. I went looking for Unique and found none in this town so I bought a few ounces of Trail Boss to try out. WOW! S/W is pricey for components now. I guess they have gone up everywhere.

Default Nice choice

I like your taste in revolvers, Murphy! I don't think there's anything more fun than shooting .44 specials (or downloaded Magnums). A few years ago, I saw a 624 at a gun show and was sorely tempted to buy it. It looked identicle to one of the 'mountain guns', with the tapered barrel and pinned, all-black front sight, except it didn't say 'mountain gun' on the side.

Right now, I've got a .44 Mag Mountain Gun and love it but I still wish I would have gotten that Spl. ... just to be different(er)!

I just looked on gunbroker.com and typed in lew horton in the search. The third gun in the line up is a nickel model exactly like the one I had. There is no reserve and $799 will probably get it as there are only hours left and no bids yet! Dang it! The only reason I'm not gonna splurge is that Iowa law states the barrel length must be at least 4" to hunt deer with! Momma killing me might have a little something to do with it too. I'm about at the limit of how much "its a good investment dear" will work in one month!

Default Sw 24-3

Murphy,
    Looking again in the Supica book records- The .44 Target Reintro of the 24-3 shows a total production of 7500 from '83-'84 with 4, 5, 5 1/2, 6 1/2 barrels on regular, no barrel pin, N frame, 3 screw, w/ Gon. Alv. grips, 10 groove straps, square butt, with various sight options. A few were engraved and/or nickeled with smooth walnut grips. As a variation of this run, the Lew Horton Special total production was 1000 from '83-'85. There is no mention of special serialization, only a notation that the Lew Horton Combat Variation guns were: round butt, no pin 3" barrel, red insert front ramp, adjustable white outline rear, blue finish, supplied with a "special black holster". The .44 Reintro records show the serialization of three letter prefix, four number serial -ABZ000-ABZ9999 range. You may have a Lew Horton gun after all? If so then a run of 1000 is pretty small and if a clean-up then the number made would be even smaller. Either way pretty rare. She oughta shoot! Bear gun???? uhhhh ok

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast