Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: do you eat what you shot

Default do you eat what you shot

just wondering about this and that is do you eat the meat of the animal that you shot?or do you just transfer the meat to someone else?being one that has many inlaws and catch hell from the locals about being a guide.i would like some honest answers.i am mainly talking about moose and caribou,do you transfer the meat to your guide or some one else and just take enough that weight is allowed on the way home.please tell the truth for the cops and courts have a long list of want and waste.i ask this so that maybe there can be a system set up to give the meat to some Alaskans that can use it and need it.

Default food

Why kill it if you aren't going to eat it? I have occasionaly given extra moose and deer to friends, but for the most part if my family can't consume it by the following fall then we don't pull the trigger. If the freezer is full then we're done for the year.

JB

The only meat I transfer to it's rightful owner if I shoot a animal on a proxy.

Otherwise it is all mine and I eat every bit of it. Yum, Yum
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

You have a lot of in-laws, and you're a guide. So what? Why would people tell you that they don't eat the meat of the animals they shoot? You're asking them to freely admit doing something that is considered by many to be unethical, and illegal in some cases.

Perhaps there's a better way to phrase your question, rather than just call people out.

Thumbs up agree but

a lot a hunters are more interisted in the size of rack or hide,and not the meat.as one of the very few guides thats hunts were he lives and lives off what he hunts i am interrested in seeing that all meat goes in to the the bellies and not the dumpster

Default better way

Quote Originally Posted by lab man View Post
    You have a lot of in-laws, and you're a guide. So what? Why would people tell you that they don't eat the meat of the animals they shoot? You're asking them to freely admit doing something that is considered by many to be unethical, and illegal in some cases.

Perhaps there's a better way to phrase your question, rather than just call people out.
    i posted this as to see if it was the same way with other hunter's/ guides and try and set up a give the meat to those who would love to get it.i think i kinda said it in my post

Default We do

There are three, mainly two people who in our whole family that hunts. My parents and I. We have all killed moose and my dad and I have taken 6 bou. The meat stays in our family for the most part. Usually give some away, a pack or two to friends an such so they can taste it. Usually give them hot dogs and stuff I know they will eat or have eaten at my house. Steaks and burger is ours. Any more it is just my dad and I that eat most of the meat. I got a good amount of moose from a buddy on this site this fall from his fresh moose. Been thinking about hitting the bow hunt up in Nenana area or getting a hold of you for some bou. I have 3 or 4 #'s of bear left, 10 or 15#'s of moose left, and 10#'s or less of halibut. I think I am good until spring bear. But variety is always good. Not sure if going to your place for bou or if you are offering what you did last year. Just not sure about getting time off and all. On the spring bear hunts I hunt for the meat. The hide is a bonus no matter what size. Given this year we want to try and nail bigger than 5.5' blackies but... Usually if it looks good we take it. My last moose lasted for almost 2 years I think. Was good to the very last steak. We butcher our selves it always lasts great. It would be great though to help people who need meat, like the military drive this past fall. But never made it out to our spot for moose.
    Last edited by akrstabout; 01-16-2008 at 22:39. Reason: because I suck at typing at night.

I doubt that much of the meat goes to the dumpster... Not to say it doesn't happen but it is a very small percentage. I generally eat all that I harvest however I have a very large extended family and will provide for them when I am blessed enough to have excess. I returned from Iraq this year on the 10th of september and was unsuccesful on the adlib solo hunt I was able to throw together for the fall season. I was given about 100# of meat total from a coule of family members which has proven to be a huge blessing to us. If I am lucky enough to have a successful winter hunt before the season is closed there are several family members and close friends that have fallen on hard times and would be greatful to have some of that meat. We will take what we need but will be generous with what we can afford to give to them. For true hunters/providers this is standard practice I believe. That said good luck getting much of my loins or back strap! If I care for others I believe the good lord will provide for me and my family as long as I am prepared to make the sacrifices and put in the hard work. As far as programs for providing wild game meat to needy families they do exist:
    http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/akpages/hunger.htm
    http://www.nrahq.org/hunting/hungry_nat_list.asp

Thumbs up sharing and giveing is what i am aiming at

akrstabout,thats what i am getting at.you state getting a little of this food soucre from this forum well there we go any one else willing to sate that i am going hunting and may not be able to take home all the meat from the ALASKAN size animal i harvested and would love to give it to some one that may need it.
    Last edited by gusuk1; 01-16-2008 at 22:49. Reason: misspelling as

We eat it all. I haven't shot a moose for two years now but my friend has taken one in our camp both of those years. I passed up 2 bulls after we had one hanging in camp because I didn't want to shoot a smallish one. I admit that I hunt for big racks if possible but we truly enjoy moose and caribou meat and I take great pains to put it in the freezer in excellent shape and ready for the table. My daughters are both grown now and they along with my wife much prefer moose burger over beef burger due to the fact that I grind it very lean. Probably over 2/3 of my moose meat goes into burger as that is our favorite method of eating it.
    I didn't partake in the late season caribou hunt up the Steese as I had no need of any more meat. I caught some very large halibut last summer and put half a moose in the freezer. I still had some Chitina salmon from the summer before so I didn't go for anymore of them last summer. I do not believe in wasting our valuable resource. I always know friends that will happily take a quarter or more of moose so after Steve killed one this fall we came back to town and butchered after hanging it for 2 days in warm weather. We went back out as the camping is real important to us as is the hunting. I would have shot another moose on my tag if I had the chance to kill a big one but it wasn't to be. Like I already said I had several people lined up to take meat if I was to bring another back to town.

Thumbs up LuJon,thanks

thanks for posting the were to donate ones meats and maybe this thread will come in mind for those who come to our great state to hunt.

Default Meat to family

Often times I give meat to my family. And often I make things to bring to social events out of meat that I have harvested. I think this is all legal, the only thing I don't make gifts of is dipnetted fish as that must be retained for immediate family member consumption.

Thumbs up Contender-

Cool and agree guys like you and your state of mind are welcomed by my campfire any time

Default Meat sharing

On 2 hunts last year after only harvesting one animal on each hunt (one bou the one moose) my hunting partner and I split the meat. Even filled out the transfer forms, but as both kills were a group effort we deceided that splitting it was the way to go plus that was all both of us needed anyhow.

Yup! Shoot it, pack it, butcher it, cook it and eat it! and share it with others.

Years ago we bought our house from an old time Alaskan here in Fairbanks. He hunted sheep up until he was about 75 or so and then slowed down. Then his ol hunting partner Bill Waughaman died and he doesn't hunt anymore. He's in is mid eighties now. Anyway, 3 of the last 4 years I have been able to bless him with some sheep meat. His eyes light up and he looks at me and thanks me like I gave him a million bucks. It is an absolute joy to be able to give that ol sheep hunter a taste of something he truly loves and appreciates. I sure hope I can do it again this year. and the next and the next and the next and the next and the next and the next.......
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

No better feeling IMO than reaching in the freezer and grabbing a package of meat that you hauled out of the woods. We, my wife my son and I had tacos last night made of sheep burger and I ate the leftovers for dinner tonight at work. UM Um good! In the past 7 days I have eaten almost the last of my bear sausage, had blacktail deer steaks, and the sheep tacos last night and tonight, sure beats buying meat at the story and I luv the stuff!

If you like the sheep tacos you should try my wifes moose enchiladas!

theres a reason I don't wanna go grizz hunting
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by gusuk1 View Post
    i posted this as to see if it was the same way with other hunter's/ guides and try and set up a give the meat to those who would love to get it.i think i kinda said it in my post
    I wasn't asking why you posted this. I just thought there was a better way to ask the questions you were asking. It looks like I was the only one who had a tough time clearly understanding what you were trying to say, especially the comments about cops and courts.

Not trying to sidetrack this thread too much though. I think the idea of sharing meat is a good one, and my family does it as much as possible. It sounds like most of the forum member's hearts are in the right place.

Default most

Id say I eat most of the meat from the animals I hunt. I always give a bunch to freinds, and family. Once in bethel Me, and my party took 4 caribou, and we gave an entire caribou away to a home in bethel for batterd woman. Sometimes I clean out my freezer, and a couple packages of freezer burnt sausages or hamburger will go in the trash but it's pretty rare. I usually eat, and share everything I take. It bothers me to think people hunt just for the rack or trophy value even though I know some people do.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast