Thread: Fairweather Grounds

Default Fairweather Grounds

Has anyone sportfished the fairweather grounds? It looks like paradise for fishing, just a little to far offshore for my comfort zone. If I could get a few boats that want to go together and a weather forecast blessed by both a Pope and a Rabbi, I might consider it. (In June or July)

Thoughts!
    Warnings!
    Premonitions!

All are welcome

Cool

I wouldnt go as far as to say a "Paradise". There is most definitly fish there, but "Fairweather Grounds" is a gross missnamification if you will.

Maybe I just have a "grass is greener" mentality, becuase I have never been there and it is so far out it must be good. I did a bit of research on it and mostly all I could come up wth is tragic stories of people drowning out there in the winter months. This concerns me!
    My wife bought me the book called The Last Run, that just about did it for any dreams I had of going there. But man some calm days sitting off Palma bay fishing I think to myself, hell I could be there in two hours and hopefully fill the fish box and be back before I know it.

Sounds great. But I bet we could all recount stories of those exact words, eh. Gilligans Island, Castaway, etc, etc. From the SAR side of the house, I know I have heard it. It does look awesome out there, but I know I couldnt trust it in a rec boat. Keep us up to date if you do.
    Last edited by epw; 01-16-2008 at 20:28. Reason: adding

Standby for next on location posting VIA EPRIB 406 sarsat

Cool

I'll be responding. They pay someone else to listen out for em. But i would love to get the MLB out there.

Default Fairweather slaughter

I have sportfished the Fairweather Grounds and slaughtered- niced mixed bag monsta bottomfish, halibut and two fat Kings. Also Kayak Island area - Slaughter too. Fast bite on halis with an 80 pound average, big lings, yelloweyes - huge ones...
    Best fishing I have seen in Alaska though was for Kings in Yakutat in late April - Holy cow they are thick right outside of town. For my money it was the best saltwater bite on Kings I have ever seen....I have fished many places in Alaska and never have seen them piled up like a school of slivers and biting on everything. Also wacked some nice winter kings in March there too once....

It's usually great out there in May. I've day-tripped (okay... long-ass-day-plus-a-bit) the area out of Elfin Cove... Shirley's always kind to us rum drinkers that early in the season too... before they get burned out on tourists. Just remember to bring a Costco-sized sack of limes and you'll be all set.

Last year we were out that way and lost a few sets of trolling gear to sharks. We moved a few miles and started bottom fishing, only to hammer the 5-foot lings like they were in a frenzy... problem is, all the clients were non-res... the darn fish were too big for their slot.

epw- sounds like you need to start putting a group together... I'll charter y'all out that way any time... weather permitting!

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The commercial guys hit that spot pretty good, it's one of the better (and close) spots for SE fishing in area 3A. If it were me, I think you could find comparable fishing without having to go quite that far.

The Fairweather grounds I was talking about is the one 150 miles from Juneau and 92 NM from Yakutat. The one where the ocean can get rough enough to sink 100 foot longliners in no time....I would be very careful about going out in anything less than a large, diesel powered, heavily constructed boat. That is a dangerous place to be running to just to catch bottomfish for fun.
    I fished it several times when I was operating a 140' steel reserach vessel and it was on the way to and from our work.

Case
    How was the halibut fishing out there? Maybe I'll tie my boat up in Elfin and book with you to go out from there. Like AKCAPT said it is a long ways offshore for small boats and I have a 26ft. I don't know of any of the lodges in Elfin that run out that far.
    It sounds like AKCAPT had a good haul out there. At what longitude due southeast regs apply to? I thought I heard that you could fish lings past a certain longitude?

I used to fish that area when I was a member of uncle sams confused group (USCG). The halibut fishing can be spotty, but I saw a 390 pounder and a 252 pounder come out in the same afternoon. The ling fishing is the best I have ever seen, and there are lots of yelloweyes too!. The weather can be a factor though, so plan ahead. I have only fished the area in June, July, and August and the weather was only crappy once. The sunsets are magnificaent out there too!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    I was a member of uncle sams confused group (USCG).
    Too Funny

Good one. You wouldn't happen to be a retired BMCM would you, master chief?

hey cancan you should take me there with a fly rod for a promo video

6 foot ling on a fly sounds good to me, the charts say its what like below 20 fathoms right?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default I Don't See the Point

There are always people saying they are willing to run out offshore to find areas to fish. For what it's worth, in a past life I fished as a salmon troller (when it was allowed) and part-time as a longliner over most areas of the inner and outer banks of the Fairweather Grounds. FYI - Even with a flat-calm forecast you can ALMOST get to "Fleet Corner" on the SE edge and then get the living crap kicked out of you trying to get back to Spencer or Lituya Bay in a REGULAR southerly (not even a MODERATE one). Speed is helpful to a degree, but it can be a very unpleasant stretch of water under relatively normal conditions for the area.

If you are so inclined - go for it, but be certain that you have prepared for any eventuality the trip can throw at you.

Quote Originally Posted by JKD View Post
    There are always people saying they are willing to run out offshore to find areas to fish. For what it's worth, in a past life I fished as a salmon troller (when it was allowed) and part-time as a longliner over most areas of the inner and outer banks of the Fairweather Grounds. FYI - Even with a flat-calm forecast you can ALMOST get to "Fleet Corner" on the SE edge and then get the living crap kicked out of you trying to get back to Spencer or Lituya Bay in a REGULAR southerly (not even a MODERATE one). Speed is helpful to a degree, but it can be a very unpleasant stretch of water under relatively normal conditions for the area.

If you are so inclined - go for it, but be certain that you have prepared for any eventuality the trip can throw at you.
    That is what I was getting at....Long way for halibut. I am sure there is great fishing on the 50fm edge along the shore near Cape Spencer for a charter and not nearly the risk....One really bad time offshore is enough to get most people respecting that stretch of water....
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 01-19-2008 at 21:15. Reason: language