Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norvik Polarbear

Default Norvik Polarbear

Thought I'd Share The Pic's Of The Polarbear Taken Up In Norvik Last Week. It's A Friend Of The Family And We Just Got Them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's awesome. Congrats to your friend. How big is it?

Man, that picture on the left is awesome. Not often that you see polar bears among the spruce trees.

Congrats to your friend!

Thats really cool.

Default WOW!!

I've run two jobs in Norvik and never, ever thought a polar bear would come that far inland. Amazing!! I bet your friend is STOKED!!!

Thanks

Thumbs up

Nice looking polar bear, love the pic of it in the trees thats a first for me as well. Have there been many others seen in the area? Are they hunting moose and caribou yet?

man cool cool cool, theres a bear i'll never get to shoot...geez.
    looks like about 7.5-8'??
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Is it typical to find polar bears in the area? Admittedly, I know little about polar bears so any info would be appreciated. I guess I am just going off of stereotypes of them along the coast (without trees).

smoothmove, your friend from Norvik must be a Nukalpiaq.

Oh no they can't survive inland!! Good thing he took that bear and put it out of it's misery! If that is the case the red in it's fur must have come from walking through some paint in the villiage... Global warming must have pushed it inland. Tell your friend congrats on a great bear and a never in a lifetime trophy for most of us!

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Where did that come from? There were two people that posed questions about polar bears in the area and you hop on some anti-global warming soap box? I admitted that I know very little about polar bear habitat and inquired about it. I apologize for asking a simple question about something I know little about...

Thumbs up

Wow, thats a special pic--and hunt.
    Thanks for posting.

Thumbs up

i don't think he was talking about you sockeye. his comment was what went through my head. More or less a comment about how the enviros say p.b. can't live on land.

Default awesome

Recently I met a woman. After a few minutes of conversation I had mentioned cabelas. She said oh since you are not against hunting it sounds like let me show you a picture. She comes out of her office with a picture of her and a 9' polar bear. She took it last winter with a bow. It was taken with a guide in Canada. She then said she took a brown bear this fall on the Pen. not far from where I took mine. But she took that bear also with a bow. She had completed all the bears with bow. I just thought that was awesome. The polar bear was really awesome just because not to many folks get a chance at that. Don't really hear much about them being harvested here in our state. I take it they had to harvest the meat? Thanks for the pics.

Was it about two winters ago that a polar bear on the slope was spotted over a 100 miles down the high way before it turned around? Anybody know about how many are harvested in alaska each year?

Quote Originally Posted by dan g View Post
    i don't think he was talking about you sockeye. his comment was what went through my head. More or less a comment about how the enviros say p.b. can't live on land.
    Glad to see some can see through my inherent sarcasm and get the tounge in cheak point. No personal attacks here just looked like a healthy polar bear and a wonderful trophy inhabiting an area where some people think they can't possible survive. I wonder what was in his gut that caused that tint to his coat. Seal? bou? would be interesting to know.

tint? looks normal to me? not that i've seen a ton in person just photos.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Man, that picture on the left is awesome. Not often that you see polar bears among the spruce trees.

Congrats to your friend!
    Hopefully we'll see lots of polar bears in spruce trees because they adapt to lack of sea ice!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Polar Bear??

Are you guys sure that isn't one of those Kobuk blackies... you know, the ones that are black in the summer and turn white in the winter ???

Seriously, that pic with the tree is great. I wonder how much a hunt in Canada would cost a guy from Anchorage ??

Default The Best Hunt!

Congratulations on what most of us just dream about.

I don't think was was a "hunt" in the literal sense. The bear had been hanging around the village. Odd place for a polar bear, probably hungry, dangerous to people and kids. Rural folks have commen sense. This was an elimination. Happens around western alaska regularly when bears show up in places they present a danger to people.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast