Thread: Safety Alert!

Default Safety Alert!

It has come to our attention that there are 2008 tide books with incorrect information on the street. I've attached a Sitka Sentinel article...I believe a similar article ran in the Anchorage Daily News and possibly other papers. A dependable source of tide information is NOAA at http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/

The danger here is that incorrect information may contribute to mariner mishaps; make certain that your tide tables are correct by confirming through the link provided. Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default USCG action?

I've passed this info along to some folks I know in the safety departments of some of our industrial companies so they could pass it along to thousands of their workers by email. The first question I got back was, "where is the official USCG press release on this?". Some don't want to raise alarm based purely on an opinionated news article without some official agency backing it up with some form of public notice...

I guess the news media isn't trusted enough.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Tide tables

Good question JOAT; you are just ahead of me! Here's a SAFETY ALERT that was completed yesterday. Mike

Default More info...

Here's info from the tide book publisher....

I dont believe this is a "Coast Guard" action matter. USCG does not predict tides or the weather. I DO believe it is up to the mariner to check out all his resources (tide books, charts, NTM's, electronics, etc) before he gets underway to make sure they are correct and I do thank Mike for his efforts here in keeping us informed of this problem.

Thanks, Mike!!!!

I assume these are the free tide books that you find at Wal-Mart, etc.? Have or will the incorrect books that went out be removed from the stores and replaced with corrected ones?