Thread: What type of raft do you use?

Default What type of raft do you use?

I have a 24 boat that I took out of Homer all last summer and I want to put a raft up top before this fishing season, so the question is what brand of rafts are you guys using? And are you happy? Also one thought was to be able to put my 9.9 Honda kicker on it as well. Thanks Will

Default BomBard

I carry a Bombard. I love it mostly because it has airbellows attached right to the skiff. I don't have to mess with a pump. Throw it in the water and if it needs air I just pump the bellow and I'm done. The model I have is not big enough to take a 9.9 but they may make a larger model. I use it on my 24'er.

That's what I have and use.

Default Jim Kings

I bought a raft from Jim King. Alaska series inflatables I believe. Freakin nice raft. Had a cheaper one and big difference. I highly recommend them and Him as dealer. He lives here in anchorage and helps design the rafts. I have 8.5 footer. Bright orange. Had all the extra goodies like, thick rubber on the bottom of the tubes for beach landing, also had strips of the same rubber all the way around the boat for being tied off to the bigger boat. Very sturdy just nice. Flat bottom inflatable floor. Come with a motor mount but only good for a 5 horse and recommends a 2 horse. Just because it only pushes water the faster you go. I have not a got a motor but seriously thinking about it for how much I use the raft. You get what you pay for. Your life could come down to it. It only weights 50#'s too.

Right on and thanks for the info, I think I was looking at the rafts that Jim King sells at the sportsmans show; last year and they do look tough if they are the same one I am thinking of. Maby my kicker is to big for this raft idea and I should just think safety, I would hate to get another motor just for the raft. I did tell the wife that I would need around $2500. for this. Is that a reasonable number for what I am thinking of doing?

Default Costco

I bought one of the inflatables from Costco last summer on sale. About $600. It is fairly beefy and has the inflatable floor and rated for 10hp although I have not had a motor on it. It has never been on the water yet, just tied to the top of my 24' Tolman. I would love a King inflatable, just can't afford it yet and this seemed a decent compromise.

Default Alaska series seward 8' 10"

I have the seward sport boat 270 8'10" rides on top of my 22' ocean king and will take an 8 hp. I have used a 2hp and a 5hp on it but am going to pick up a two stroke 8hp to see if it will get it on step. Very nice rugged boat. 2 hp does great for going back and forth to shore.

Default I have

2 aire tomcat inflatable kayaks. Haven't used them yet since I just bought them for my christmas present, but hey, if your going to have toys, may as well get some that multi-task. Slow on the ocean, but I'm not a distance sea kayaker anyway, great for whitewater, and will allow for some gear hauling to the beach. Now, I wonder how they will perfom when I strap them to my raft frame. AHHH, I need summer to be here, snowshoeing and cold just can't hold a candle to high speed boating, rafting, kayaking, and drinking beer and fishin' on a nice sandbar.

Chris

Default Sea Eagle

After looking at local boat show tenders last year and browsing online a lot, I ended up buying a Sea Eagle 8' 9" air floor tender for about $1,000.00. A local dealer had a sale on the Tohatsu 3.5 horse 2 cycle (not made any more) and I solved the whole thing for about $1,600.00.

It gets us back and forth to shore with an 800 lb payload. It is reasonably light, they say 59 lbs. My son and I think more like 80 lbs. when hoisting it up to the top of our 26 ' Osprey. Construction appears solid, I only pumped it up once at the beginning of the season and it was only starting to loose a little air last fall when I put the boat in storage. The down side is that I am still looking for a place to store the third motor. My 9,9 Honda long shaft is just not sutable for double duty as a kicker and tender motor. I think it weighs 125 lbs. Too much to take on and off the kicker stand and not drop in the ocean. The Tohatsh is about 40 lbs.

Well I sure agree with not dropping the kicker in the ocean, man what a bad day that would be. After talking with friends I am not sure if I should spend the extra money on the Alaska series or go with the less expensive model from West Marine or Sea Eagle. I sure do like the Orange 270 Alaska series from Jim King but is it really a better boat. If it is I would rather get it; but if all is equal then I should spend the extra money on some better halibut poles. Also it is looking as if it will be without power for now and that it might also be used to float the little sue or some other river. May as well get some use out of it other then stand buy duty all the time.
    Will

My boat came with an 8.5' West Marine raft and one of those 2 cycle 3.5 horse Tohatsu's. Two things I didn't like about the raft - 1) too small to transport much more than maybe a couple of people w/ a little gear or one person with much more than a couple of deer. Could have probably lived with that but: 2) had some leaks that required pumping it back up after 2-3 days . Couldn't live with that! Found a like new 10.6' Maxxon on craigslist for $800. Love that!! . Will see if I can sell the old raft and be a little less out of pocket.

Default Not sure about the other boats

people are giving reviews on. A nice thing about the Alaska Series is they are a round raft. Easy to row, more room-I haul 3 adults all the time, plus he is in town and offers a 5 year no fault warranty. I floated campbell creek in fall of 06 and it took a beating bad and hardly shows it. If you can go for the boat from Jim King. See him at the boat show or if he is not there ask him about the boat show price. He is on this forum also. They are spendy but man you can depend on it, they are built very good. I have mine in my garage, if you wanted to see it I can blow it for you. I keep mine deflated on my boat and inflate it every trip once I get to my destination. The floor system is pretty cool too. Just do your research and make your decision.

Default Right on

Great, all I needed was a little nudge, I wanted the Jim King Alaska Series and I think that is the one I will get. Now all I need is to get the best price I can on one. Thanks guys

Default consider overall weight

I bought a 10 ft Titan from Marita Sea and Ski. It originally had aluminum floor boards putting the weight at about 110 lbs. Getting it on and off the roof was a hassle due to the weight. I bought an inflatable floor which brought the weight down to about 70 lbs. I can haul it on and off the roof myself. I was initially concerned about floor abrasions but it has not been a problem. I use a 3hp motor but mostly just row it to shore. I would think a 9.9 would be a real handful to get on and off the transom.

How about the Achilles LT-4, its Hypalon/Neoprene reinforced fabric and only weights about 56 lbs. They have them at Marita Sea $ Ski and at about $1200 it seems like a good value. I like Kings tenders but there almost twice the price.
    http://www.achillesinflatables.com/dingdetail.cfm?ID=1
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Exactly what and how much use do you plan for the raft? Is it for occasionally rowing to shore, or will you use it for hauling gear and deer or bears from shore to the boat. Will you possibly being taking trips along the shore, exploring lagoons or lakes?

I've looked at lots of options, and will likely get one of Jim Kings Alaska series boats, as I plan to use it to run around the shoreline, and most AK beaches are tough on inflatables. Due to the number of folks normally on my boat I'll be getting one of the 5 man rafts, a little bit bigger and more awkward to handle than I'd like, but big enough for the use I'll have for it.

Default Raft use

I plan to use it first for added safety when out on the ocean and then to get gear to and from shore. I would also like to check out the bays and lagoons as you mentioned and maby put a dear or bear in it to. I just got my boat last year and think it would be handy to have around for general Alaska use.
    Will

Default Anchorage boat show

I'll be at the Anchorage boat show with special boat show pricing. The boat show is in the Northway mall from Jan 31th through Feb 10th. my booth is near Jo Ann fabrics in the Mall.