Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new sled

Default new sled

im trying to decide what sled to get a 2008 ski doo freestyle backcountry an 08 mxz 550f or a polaris trail rmk any help would be appreciated

Default uhhh

what do you ride?

right now i ride a '95 yamaha ovation 340

Default What type of riding do you do the most of?

What type of riding do you do the most of? Do you boondock and mountain ride or more on flatland with trails and jumping?

The reason I ask is because the choices you give are two different purpose type sleds.

If you are going to mainly boondock, mountain ride, and jump: the Freesyle Backcountry or the Trail RMK.

If you are going to mainly be on flatland, trail ride, and jump: I would lean to the MXZ.

Polaris and Ski-doo make great sleds. If you are not brand specific then I would recommend buying from the dealer that you will get the best service from. If you have a good relationship with the Skidoo dealer buy from him, if it is the polaris dealer buy from him. You will be needing service at some point in time, no matter what brand.

Between the Freestyle BC and Trail RMK the big difference is ski stance, weight, track width, and fuel capacity.

Happy riding!

Default I agree with above!

I am a ski-doo rider and love thier sleds. BUT, service is a big deal, it will need it at some point, and you want to have a good relationship with the dealer.

If you go with the freestyle backcountry, make sure it comes with the more aggresive track, I think it is a 1" or 1.25" track, not the standard .7" I would look into the wider skiis for either of the ski-doos, they will make a HUGE difference in powder, and handle just as well on the trail. Realize that there is more than one windshield for most machines. When it is cold out, I put on my taller windshield, it makes the ride alot more comfortable. When it warms up, I put the short one back on.

I don't know much about the polaris, so maybe some one will step in and offer thier advice. Don't forget to look at artic cat or yamahas either, they make some impressive models also, each with thier pluses and minuses.

Default good advice

I agree with these guys. I work on my own sleds so dealer service after the sale isn't such a big deal to me. But if my sled is under warranty it would be. When I asked "what do you ride?" I really meant what kind of riding do you do. But I think that question has been asked and answer above. If you are really set on a doo, I would check out www.dootalk.com... tons of information. I really don't have any experience with Polaris, so I can really comment on them. I can say that if you live where its cold and you want your machine to start I would avoid the 4 strokes for now, unless its garaged.
    Last edited by byrd_hntr; 01-16-2008 at 12:06. Reason: my spelling stinks!!

Quote Originally Posted by TBLOOMA View Post

If you go with the freestyle backcountry, make sure it comes with the more aggresive track, I think it is a 1" or 1.25" track, not the standard .7"

The Backcountry comes with a 136" X 16" X 1.25" track.

i ride mostly in powder ........ some mountain riding and a lot of jumping and rough trails

Default Machine

Oh I know what you need! A Polaris 900 Fusion, Just happen to have one in my backyard, Like new 102 miles on it.

ive heard that the freestyle is a kids machine or is that the 300f??

Default Summit 550 Fan

I too was considering the Freestyle (Back Country) last year and finally decided on the Summit 550 Fan.... It has a better frame (Rev with twin A-arms) and only slightly more expensive. It handles like a dream and I love it so far.

Angry yah

yah, but the freestyle is 30 lbs lighter ........... i have to be able to lift up the back end though does anyone kno how much horsepower a freestyle has??

plus i am on a budget

We have run the polaris trail rmk and sport touring since 1998 to 2005 (new model each year) and they are fine machines. We just got tired of the trailing arm damage and so we changed to summit 550's in 2006 and 2007. We then saw issues with the NUN and A-arms getting damaged and suddenly the trailing arm's didn't seem as big of a deal.

So for 2008 we went with the freestyle backcountry (same 550 fan as summit) but in the RF platform and a slightly smaller lug(1.25 from 1.75). We love these little sleds and they seem to be as strong or stronger then the others. We do find that the Ski Doo 550 is better on fuel then the Polaris 550 and even better on oil consumption, but with that said our 600 SDI's and 800's get better fuel economy then the 550's. Our 550's are the most dirty of our whole fleet.

Consider rider position, overall weight, parts availability (can be a big issue), options available, and re-sale in making a decision.

I think the 550's make about 60-70hp. I hope this helps and you can always come in and rent one for a day and decide before making the financial commitment.

Chris

Alaska Snow Safairs
    907-868-7669
    www.snowmobile-alaska.com

thanks for the info ........... thats plenty of horsepower in my mind what is the fastest that they will go??

According to the Polaris brochure, the sled pumps 60 hp. With stock setup a 550F will get up in the 90s. Of course its not going to get there as fast as some other sleds but I'm sure that'll be fast enough for you. Personally I would like to go 0-60 faster than going max speed. My machine was geared to go 106 with stock gearing at max RPM. I geared it down and now it should only go about 86 (according to the charts), but I dont need to go triple digits.

does anybody own a freestyle backcountry or park if so are you satisfied with the sleds performance??

Default looky here

skidoo18

If you can live with a 300F look what I found:

http://www.compeaus.com/deals.html

Top of the list is a 06 freestyle for under 4 grand.

Down side is its in Squarebanks

I gotta agree with some of the other folks on here and say go with the REV chassis. The REV chassis is very easy to ride and its been in production much longer than the RF. Also, you dont necessarily have to buy new. Take your time, look for deals and one will pop up that meet your needs. Getting '04, '05, '06 sleds for around or less than 4,000 bucks isnt uncommon...even 5 and 600 liquids. If it were me, I'd be waiting for a newer style chassis (REV, IQ, F/M-series, etc.) with low miles....

They should be able to do better than that. That machine was $4500 brand new for '06. I think you are on the right track looking at the Backcountry. It's a good sled for the price. I also agree a used REV 550 would be a good way to go too. Stay with a long track machine and just remember that any sled will be heavy when it's stuck.

i could just wait until the 2009's come out and get a '08 summit 550f when they go on sale

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast