Thread: Big-Su and Yentna river

Default Big-Su and Yentna river

river travel is good even with some open stretches, stay with the trail markers and avoid the gci trail, two machines at least have been sunk. allmost 3 foot of good snow at yentna station.

Default Trail

Just got back, The trail is well marked, +35 we had about 6,to 10in, new wet heavy snow, There was some soft spots up above the Deshka and that open lead is still there along the bank, other than that trail is good shape, If your headed south from the Yentna to the Big lake trail or on down to Flathorn trail there is some overflow on the Big Su.

Hard rain on the lower Su Monday morning. Overflow is everywhere. It's supposed to get cold (0-10*) on Wednesday night. The whole valley will be like concrete once the loose water freezes. Good for hauling. Bad for playing.

Default yetna/ big sue

We did the poker run last weekend. the trail is in great shape, and they seem to be doing lots of freighting. Talked to dan at yetna for awhile, says biz is way down, and he doesn't know why. The trail is better than last year, and there is lots of untracked snow. Dan says he has over 100 inches, and the further up river you go the more you get. The snow is set up well, so grab the kiddies, and the wife and go for a ride, it is perfect for that!!!
    have fun, and see ya out there!

Quote Originally Posted by TBLOOMA View Post
    We did the poker run last weekend. the trail is in great shape, and they seem to be doing lots of freighting. Talked to dan at yetna for awhile, says biz is way down, and he doesn't know why. The trail is better than last year, and there is lots of untracked snow. Dan says he has over 100 inches, and the further up river you go the more you get. The snow is set up well, so grab the kiddies, and the wife and go for a ride, it is perfect for that!!!
    have fun, and see ya out there!
    Gas is over 4 dollars a gallon on the Yentna. Doesn't take a NASA employee to figure out why biz is way down. Most going out are diehards or cabin owners. The few day trippers are sticking pretty close to the trucks and not burning a lot of gas. I see more and more of the guys going out in groups and leaving the wives and kids and their machines at home. If gas prices don't come down soon, I think the remote lodges are in for some serious adjustments.

A quick question, if your worried about the price of fuel, why do you own a snowmachine?

I get better mileage on my snogo then in my truck.

Quote Originally Posted by SuYentna Dave View Post
    A quick question, if your worried about the price of fuel, why do you own a snowmachine?
    Me worry? No. Others do though, or so it appears. Talking with some, they freely admit that fuel costs are curtailing many of their outings. They still have the desire, but not the loose cash. In speaking with one of the local snowmachine dealers, he echo's the same kind of talk from folks. He did not say so, and I did not ask, but judging from the number of new machines around the place, I think business is slow in that arena as well.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by murphyslaw View Post
    I get better mileage on my snogo then in my truck.
    I get better mileage in my truck than on my snogo.

Default fuel prices

I am sure fuel prices have a small impact. And I agree, if your worried about fuel prices, why do you own gas powered toys anyway? If you can't afford the gas to run then, then where did you come up with the money to buy them? Gas in town is up, sure. But at skwenta, and shell lake I paid the same this yr as I paid last yr for a gallon of gas. I'm not sure which dealer your talking to says sales are down, but my dealer says this yr is turning out to be better than last year. Anyway, the snow out there is better than last year, and we are having a blast. Unfortunately I think we have to get used to $3+/gal. it's better than sitting in front of the tv, heck take up snowshoeing or skiing!! Get out and have some fun

As mentioned previously, while on these rivers, stay on the marked trail unless you KNOW the river and are prepared to be sunk in overflow (ax,comealong, rope, etc and survival gear). Alot of the sloughs on the east side of the big su have overflow and thin ice!!! If in doubt, dont whip it out.

Default good advice!

as mentioned above, stay on the trail!!!!