Thread: RM764 Zone 5 Questions...

Red face RM764 Zone 5 Questions...

A coworker and I are thinking of going down to the Zone 5 area, and see if we can't put some more meat in the freezer to compensate for this winters high fuel costs.

Does anyone have some general info that can help us get started. We both have sleds, GPS etc... and would like to be in and out in one day; but are knowledgeable and will be prepared to stay a few days.

I am not asking for your secret spots, just some general info. Maybe where a good/easy spot to cross the river... and maybe a few cows? We are both familiar with Zone 2, but it was closed before our spot froze over.

Thanks in advance...
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

If you archery hunt why not hit zone 3 or 7 by healy? The new snow up in that zone may have pushed the moose down a bit so you don't have to pass the sheep to get to therm. If you go to 5 via delta good luck getting accross the river and have a safe hunt!

Default Thought about it...

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    If you archery hunt why not hit zone 3 or 7 by healy? The new snow up in that zone may have pushed the moose down a bit so you don't have to pass the sheep to get to therm. If you go to 5 via delta good luck getting accross the river and have a safe hunt!
    The buddy doesn't archery hunt, and this was mostly his idea..

AKArcher

AK,
    I have left other updates on the area around Zone 5 and trying to get into there. The river is still flowing pretty good and doesnt look like it is going to freeze. I had a buddy who went and checked about 5 miles from where I did the day after and tried to follow other snowmachine tracks and busted through the river. In my opinion the river is unsafe and not worth losing a sled or a life trying to get across for a moose, just my opinion. I am going back up Friday to see if there has been any improvement on the river and other areas to cross but I am going to assume its in the same condition as 2 weeks ago. Good luck

Default Zone 5 - this time last year

Last week of January, 2007 I went into zone 5 from Birch Lake area. I have no idea what the river is like there now. I'll also say that I had to go way, way back, well above treeline before the moose showed up... so a day trip in-n-out is probably pushing it for most (and impossible for my slow Bravo).

Default BTT

Any new updates????

Bowtech, did you go down and find anything new?

AKArcher

Imagine with the temps the crossing is not doing well.

We went in at Delta, across zone 6 I believe until we hit Delta Creek. *13miles* and then up the creek about 20 or so miles... very very very little sign and snow. And where the was a moose track was a group of wolf tracks as well.

A storm was moving in...so we opted to not continue on to the foot hills.

Aside from no moose...couldn't have asked for a better day of riding!

AKArcher

AK,
    Sorry man , didnt get a chance to go , ran into other issue I had to take care of this long weekend. Did you take snowmachines or ATV's ? I take it you crossed the big delta then skirted the tanana ? Thanks

bump...

anyone have anymore info on accessing zone 5? seems to be one of the few open zones left. a buddy & I have sleds, GPS, meat trailer, etc and are just looking for some general info on access points, how frozen the rivers are, etc.

thanks

Default PM sent

I sent you a PM with some details.

quick follow up -

The rivers frozen, there's an established sled track across it right now. The trail out to Dry Creek is in pretty good condition, and theres lots of activity out there.

Chris - nice to meet you out there, hope you got your moose & found your knife.

KG - thanks for a great trip & hunt. you're a master hunter extraordinaire

Default Success

The river was crossable. We found a couple cows and took one home with us. Shot this one Friday afternoon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default River Crossing?

I would really like to do this hunt and I have been doing some research but I'm still not sure where to go in at.

What is the best way to access zone 5B?

Thanks for the help!

Stop by ADF&G and get a map to get back to Koole Lake.

Default Koole Lake

I hunted Koole Lake hard two years ago a couple different times. I would say that moose were very scarce. We did see a few bou though. We hunted out to 50 miles on the Koole lake side of the Little Delta. I recommend staying on the west side of the Little Delta.

Has anyone else braved the nice warm weather and harvested a cow?

Default Saturday

So I just confirmed my plans for the weekend. I am going to head down this weekend from N. Pole and try to get across the river down near Delta. Any word about where crossing is good/safe and has anyone taken any more moose?