Thread: Halibut & Salmon Charter recommendation needed

Default Halibut & Salmon Charter recommendation needed

I plan to be in Ketchikan around August 08, 2008. I would like to set up a Halibut / Salmon combo trip with a good charter outfit. Not interested in the cruiseline catering charters. Don't mind taking a short float plane ride out of Ketchkan if needed. Looking for quality Halibut and Salmon with some guides who love to fish not just take a boat ride.
    Please let me know if you have some quality suggestions.
    Thank you in advance for your help.

Default No idea...

I haven't got the foggiest, but since you have recieved no replies search out the chamber of commerce and you'll usually find what you seek in their pages...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Default Charters

Here's a couple of good ones:

Magnum Charters--Bill Kacenas 907 247-0177

Bill (Skip) Pattison -I can't think of business name-Excellent and hard to get. 907 247-8489

kingfisherktn

You can contact Knudson Cove Marina http://www.knudsoncovemarina.com/
    They have guys that charter from there. I've seen a few come in while we were cleaning fish. They had nice catches But I do recall they were a bit pricey...possibly because of the fore-mentioned "cruise-lines."
    However they do rent boats for self-guided fishing. That's what we did and have made reservations to be back this July...Can't wait!

Here's an old thread concerning Halibut in Ketchikan: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...chikan+halibut

Just because a boat "caters" to cruise passengers, doesn't mean they're not worth fishing with... just be sure to book the boat privately and don't go on a short (half-day) trip. "Catering to Cruise Ships" really just means that we run lots of short trips scheduled around when the big ships come into port. I also run many long trips that "cater" to anyone who likes to catch fish and have fun.

-Case

PS: Try Ken @ Northern Lights in KTN... never heard a bad review/report.
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks CanCan for the reminder. Ken Tuene (pronounced tooney) is a great guy, known him for years.

kingfisherktn

Quote Originally Posted by CanCanCase View Post
    Just because a boat "caters" to cruise passengers, doesn't mean they're not worth fishing with... just be sure to book the boat privately and don't go on a short (half-day) trip. "Catering to Cruise Ships" really just means that we run lots of short trips scheduled around when the big ships come into port. I also run many long trips that "cater" to anyone who likes to catch fish and have fun.

-Case

PS: Try Ken @ Northern Lights in KTN... never heard a bad review/report.

Default Try these too

Eddie Lucas, I fished with him and he was great. Also try expierence one, the guy is great and has been there for years.

I'll second Eddie Lucas.