Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Volvo Diesel Performance

Default Volvo Diesel Performance

Has anyone got any reports of performance with a single D4 260?
    I would like to compare notes.
    26 ft 7000lbs & 30mph 8-9gal per hour seems to be what I get.
    Attached Images Attached Images

our boat weighs 13,000 lbs. dry ( has 350 gal. fuel tank) and has twin D-4's.We cruise at 24-26 knots at about 12-14 gallons and hour depending on the loud.
    Boatless

Default Cruise or WOT

SC

Is that 30mph cruise or WOT and is that 8-9gph at cruise or WOT?

Big difference relating to performance. What is your sweet spot, i.e. speed at best economy?

What kind of boat do you have?
    What-a-Day
    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.
    Denny

Default Volvo speeds

WOT for my boat is 41MPH 3490RPM. The fuel rate at WOT was 13GPH
    I like to cruise 2900RPM -3100PRM at that rpm I run 8-9gph and 30-32MPH.
    It seems to ride nice at that speed, Volvo recommends a speed of at least 10% less than max rpm for prolonged cruising. D4 book RPM 3400-3600.

Quote Originally Posted by Salt Chukar View Post
    WOT for my boat is 41MPH 3490RPM. The fuel rate at WOT was 13GPH
    I like to cruise 2900RPM -3100PRM at that rpm I run 8-9gph and 30-32MPH.
    It seems to ride nice at that speed, Volvo recommends a speed of at least 10% less than max rpm for prolonged cruising. D4 book RPM 3400-3600.
    I'd take that 10% under max with a grain of salt I've seen to many volvo's not last very long running them that hard. The best you could do with those engines would to get a pyrometer hooked up to it. Then you'll know how hard your pushing the engine. I rigged one up on my 41P and it sure made a big difference knowing how hard the engine was working when pushing any amount of weight. I also run the exhaust out thru a verna-lift muffler, way less backpressure than running it thru all those turns in the outdrive. hers's a couple of pics
    I'm pointing to the pyro probe between the turbo & the exhaust elbow
    P1300130.JPG
    verna lift setup
    P1300126.JPG

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Sounds Good!
    How much info do you feel a boost gauge gives, I have one of those installed. The engines that you mentioned not lasting when they were run that hard,were they the newer electronic injection type (d series)?

Sounds Good!
    How much info do you feel a boost gauge gives, I have one of those installed. The engines that you mentioned not lasting when they were run that hard,were they the newer electronic injection type (d series)?
    They didn't run them that hard they just kept trying to run them at their regular cruise RPM with extra weight onboard and those little engines just don't have the power to do it. The pyro tells you what the exhaust temp is. My pyro will move up 50 degrees just climbing on the back of large waves & go back down when surfing down the faces, this was over on the copper river flats when i gillnetted there. I believe that the boost gauge only tells you that yes your turbo is working but i don't think it is anywhere as accurate as the pyro. My engine is the older style volvo diesel 41series(installed in '98), the D series, 4 & 6's, replaced them, so now instead of getting 200HP out of a 6 cylinder engine they get the HP out of 4 cylinders, all in my opinion high tech stuff that only gives you less engine hours(life). I've got just over 4000 hours on my engine and the duoprop drive has a bit over 9000 hours on it. Just one more thing, when i switched to the verna lift setup my pyro temp came down 125 degrees at cruise speed from aprox 900 to 775-800(thats a huge difference). I would bet money that a lot of guys are running their engines at almost melt down temps and don't even know it.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Default Ditto...

On potbuilder's advice. There's no replacement for displacement; I used to work on a charter boat that had the 41 series 6 cyl. 200 DP diesels; the guy who owned the boat was fanatical about maintenance; the motors had close to 8,000 hrs on them when the boat was sold and everything looked new. Never any motor breakdowns; he replaced water pumps once in a while, always checked prop seals, leg oil, took great care of them. Also, a Pyrometer is a great investment; you see all these aftermarket chips/computer boxes for the newer diesel trucks, and sure they crank out the power, but a pyro will tell you how close you are to blowing up your motor, truck, boat, whatever. Excessive heat is any engine's nightmare.
    Be sure to check those water pump impellers as well and know how to change one in less than ideal conditions.
    Jim

Potbuilder,

That was the best post on a web forum I've read in a LONG time. Thanks for the great info.

Sobie2

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    Potbuilder,

That was the best post on a web forum I've read in a LONG time. Thanks for the great info.

Sobie2
    Well thank you Maybe now we should dicuss diesel fuel additives for the "dry" fuel we are running thru our engines, KTUU had a interesting piece on how the low sulfur fuel is making injection pumps wear out quickly, i've been adding marvel mystery oil in both the boat & truck fuel for the last couple of years. Don't forget to check & add as needed some of this stuff to the coolant also.
    P1170040.JPG
    I've also installed a Racor Crankvent on my engine, it replaces the tiny hose that goes from the valve cover to the air filter. It filters out the oil mist that usually just clogs up your air filter & aftercooler. Oh Yeah, i also switched out my volvo filter for a K&N filter(not in the picture).
    P1300131.JPG

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Default This is great!!

This is great information. I am having a Volvo D4 260 installed into a 27ft Glacier Craft that is under construction. I haven't seen any discussion about these engines, diesel maintenance, add-ons or additives in this forum so far. This will be very helpfull for me, especially to develop some realistic expectations for performance and what modifications if any I should be considering.

Denny
    What-a-Day
    Denny

Default Verna Lift

PB

Did the Verna Lift increase engine noise??
    What-a-Day
    Denny

Quote Originally Posted by dtol View Post
    PB

Did the Verna Lift increase engine noise??
    Why would it?? The engine makes the same anount of racket no matter where the water is run out of. If you mean is it louder at the exhaust? i've been told that my boat is pretty quiet running but i'm never out back to hear it(boat is a bowpicker). In the house its the same amount of noise as before i did the muffler. Lots of guys have just run their exhaust down & out thru their transoms but i was afraid that a following sea or a boat wake would slop water up the exhaust and back into the engine(its a pretty short distance) so that was the main reason i went with the muffler so i could get the exhaust up high on the transom.
    If you see me out on the sound stop by and say hello but please don't run over my net !!!
    deception.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Default Gauge Package

DTOL
    I would consider the Volvo multi guage if dash space is at a premium,also I would recommend the trip computer software. I like the gadgets and took the time to connect my Raymarine C80 to my D4. With this I can bring up a lot of the engine data on my plotter screen. The only problem I have had is a minor oil leak by my fuel pump. I hope to have that fixed soon under warranty.The electronic controls are sure nice and smooth I think you will like it.

DTOL
    I would consider the Volvo multi guage if dash space is at a premium,also I would recommend the trip computer software. I like the gadgets and took the time to connect my Raymarine C80 to my D4. With this I can bring up a lot of the engine data on my plotter screen. The only problem I have had is a minor oil leak by my fuel pump. I hope to have that fixed soon under warranty.The electronic controls are sure nice and smooth I think you will like it.
    Friend of mine put a D6 in his bowpicker last year, first thing to screw up was the electronic shift. Why they put electronic shift in a marine enviornment is beyond me????? Oh now i remember why!!! to sell you VERY EXPENSIVE repair parts when their junk breaks down.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Thumbs up

Potbuilder, you speak good medicine.

Great info on the pyro. Tells you how much fuel you're burning. It will also tell you loads about your prop and how happy the engine is at a particular RPM.
    There's one in just about every semi truck on the road that expects to go a million miles.

I think the ideal for longevity any diesel in a boat is dry exhaust and keel cooled, but keelcooling isn't so practical on some hulls and dry exhaust is a little noisy for pleasure boats.

Are Volvos prone to cavitation due to coolant bubbles? Or do you recommend the DCA as a general preventative?

Spotless engine room. Salty. Nice.

Default Pyro meter

Pyro Meter and why. http://www.bankspower.com/Tech_whyegt.cfm

They say in the ariticle that EGT below 1000 degrees isn't a problem. Any thoughts on this relative to Volvo or marine engines in general??

SC

I have a whole bunch of questions to ask you and I will PM you later. Probably tomorrow with a list.

Denny
    What-a-Day
    Denny

Default Nice boat Steve...

Looks like you've got a good setup; do you fish by yourself? I used to deckhand in CI on a 34' Ohima; is netting in PWS a little more relaxing than CI? I remember lot's of cork-off's, guys running over nets WOT (on purpose), guys pushing the line by inches on corridor days (those days are when your character really comes out!). How long is the season in PWS for gillnetting?
    Never been on a bowpicker, but admired how they appeared to ride, plus they always beat us in to the Kenai to offload; the 'ole Mayflower with a single 3208 cat averages 10 knots. Warm & cozy inside though with the world's most comfortable bed! Sorry to get off the thread guys; couldn't resist.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    Potbuilder, you speak good medicine.

Great info on the pyro. Tells you how much fuel you're burning. It will also tell you loads about your prop and how happy the engine is at a particular RPM.
    There's one in just about every semi truck on the road that expects to go a million miles.

I think the ideal for longevity any diesel in a boat is dry exhaust and keel cooled, but keelcooling isn't so practical on some hulls and dry exhaust is a little noisy for pleasure boats.

Are Volvos prone to cavitation due to coolant bubbles? Or do you recommend the DCA as a general preventative?

Spotless engine room. Salty. Nice.
    Ish,
    I'd don't think a pyro will tell you how much fuel your burning? That you'll know from the weight of your wallet KC & a stack are nice but not on most of the small pipsqueak boats running around these days
    I use the DCA as a preventative and haven't heard of any probs with coolant bubbles in the volvo's. If you want to see a nice marine diesel check out the new Isuzu's low RPM & lots of torque, i saw them at fish expo in seattle this fall and i'm in heart.gif with them.

I like lobsterboats to, cause i used to have one, but i wouldn't want to be haul pots out of this spot
    lobsterboat.jpeg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

[quote=Big Jim;197188]On potbuilder's advice. There's no replacement for displacement; I used to work on a charter boat that had the 41 series 6 cyl. 200 DP diesels; the guy who owned the boat was fanatical about maintenance;
    The new d4's are more displacement then the ad41 and they are rated to produce more power at a lower RPM. AD41 - kad 44 219 ci -3.6L and D4 225-300 224ci-3.7L
    I would argree that 300hp is alot to ring out of an enginge that size, but I guess we will have to see what the long term reliablity of the D4's is.
    I notice too that the D4 is heavier then the AD & KAD, the new drive appears to be heavy duty as well. One thing I might add is that you do not see any black smoke and very rarely smell any diesel fumes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast