Thread: 2008 hunting out of Kotzebue

Exclamation 2008 hunting out of Kotzebue

Just a heads up for any of you guy who are planning a 2008 hunt into WACH out of Kotzebue. We are very busy right now finishing up the trip planning and bookings for the 08 hunting season. I am working with 3 local flight services and they are almost at max for 08 hunts. One of the pilots told me that he is not taking any more mid Sept hunts
    (Sept 10-20) as he is booked solid. We had Buck Maxon of Arctic Air Guides retire last fall and that takes 3 planes out of the mix thus making it much tighter this year. My advice to you is get your plans finalized ASAP as I will begin having a hard time finding pilots with the 3 weeks.

There will be some out or region transporters who will have flat rate hunts (drops) but they tend to be a little more expensive and you have fewer options in that type of hunt. Its decision time, so drop me a line if you are still trying to make decisions.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Your best bet in rafts, canoes and camp rentals
    Kotzebue, Alaska

Default RAM Aviation

You might want to wait to book with Mike Spisak until he is sentenced. So, there might be one less transporter up there this year.

http://www.uspsoig.gov/press_releases/pr_Spisak.pdf

Terry

I was wondering if that bit of info would make it onto this forum. Thanks for keeping us updated Terry.
    There are more changes in the aviation industry in western Alaska coming down the pike. Not sure how it will effect the transporters yet.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Exclamation ???? What???

Man! Before too long Kotzebue will be out of transporters!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Backcountry Rentals
    Your best bet in Rafts and camp rentals
    www.northwestalaska.com
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    33 miles north of the Arctic Circle

Default DOT fraud

How does this affect his ability to do drop hunts at it looks like hid conviction is on DOT fraud based upon passengers and bypass mail I think?

Are the 2 linked other than it is a clear issue of ethic or lack of ethics?

Walt

Hard to do drop hunts from a federal prison. He can receive up to 20 years in prison, a fine of $250,000, or both. I think that's why Terry advised waiting, we don't know what the sentence will be yet.

Default Dont know

Heard he is a good pilot, but even if he dont go to jail there is a good posibility he might still lose his part 135 FAA cert. Time will tell.

Terry

Default Kotz Transporters

I tried to book with Eric Sieh earler this month but he wasn't taking bookings because of some "stuff" going with Hageland aviation (He uses their planes). Now I hear that Frontier air and Hageland are merging. The new company is going to be called Frontier so it seems hageland won't be top dog in the deal. It remains to be seen how this will effect Eric's operation. At his recommendation I booked instead with Jim Kincaid of Northwestern Aviation so my partner and I should be good to go. As far as I know it seems that Jim may be the only local kotz transporter this coming season.

Tom

Default Kotz transporters

I talked with Eric Sieh yesterday about a client who needed a pilot. Eric is still flying but is booked solid for the hunting season but has opening for fishing trips this summer. Eric is only taking hunting trips from guys who have booked with him in the past as the business of flying is eating up his fall I think. If you havenít booked your pilot it may be too late. Fewer planes in the air means fewer flights for 08.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Backcountry Rentals
    Your best bet in Rafts and camp rentals
    www.northwestalaska.com
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    33 miles north of the Arctic Circle

Default Ram Avation

I talked to Mike Spisak this weekend about my Booking this comming Sept and there is no problem and he will be flying..