Thread: Looking for a new .280 rem

Default Looking for a new .280 rem

I am researching getting a new .280 this spring. I had one when I first started hunting and would like to get another. So far the only manufacturers I have found are Ruger, Remington and Browning (X bolt).
    I don't care for the Rugers or Remingtons and Dont have an opinion on the Browning...haven't had a browning in a long time and can't remember if I liked them or not.

Does anyone know of another company that produces the .280?
    Any opinions on which Company you prefer and why?
    I was really hoping Kimber offered it but they don't. My only real criteria is that it has to be stainless.

Thanks for opinions and information.
    Gary

I have 2 .280's. This is my very favorite caliber. One of my .280's is a T.C. Encore. It is extremely accurate and fun to shoot.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

What is there not to like about the new Ruger Hawkeye All weather?

Cooper and Blaser chambers for the .280. Two to five times the money. You might be able to find a Sako. I assume you want a bolt action? Browning's A-bolt has a fair reputation if you want a Japanese made rifle. Are you dead set on the .280 Remington?

Default 280

If you can't find what you want, have one built. That way you get all; the features you want in the rifle you get and don't have to settle for second best. Costs more but you'll enjoy it a long time.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I couldn't find a 280 in a Weatherby Vanguard either. That's too bad. I looked at Rem. Savage, & Ruger, the other day, but none compared to the Vanguards IMO. Besides, I like the Monte Carlo Stock.

Here's a thought to add to brav01's post. You could rebarrel most any 30-06 or 270 to 280 Rem using a SS barrel. and not have any feeding issues.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Here's a thought to add to brav01's post. You could rebarrel most any 30-06 or 270 to 280 Rem using a SS barrel. and not have any feeding issues.

Smitty of the North[/quote]

That is a good idea, maybe I could get another Kimber Montana and have it barrelled for .280.

I checked out the Cooper and they do offer a .280 in the M 52 but it weighs almost 8 pounds naked.

The Ruger may not be a bad choice although Murphy didn't seem very enthusiastic, I personally have not handled one.

I guess I will have to sell a couple guns (or one Sauer) to get this task underway. Anyone interested in a Sauer 202 ?

Thanks, Gary

Default 280

http://www.newultralight.com/HTML/custom-rifles.html

Pretty hard not to like this option, other than the price.

Default 280 for sale

I sent you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbrier View Post
    I sent you a PM.
    I do like the Sako's. PM sent back

Those new ultralights do like nice but...$$$$$$$$$

Thanks, Gary

It's only money.

Default Howa used to chamber the .280 Rem.

I don't know if they still do. A gun show might be your best bet.
    http://www.legacysports.com/products/howa/index.html

Thanks for the ideas. I went to the gun store this morning and I think I am going to order a Cooper M52 Jackson Hunter in .280 with fluted barrel. I handled a few guns today and I liked the cooper the best. I really like the safety and smoothness of the bolt along with the hidden magazine. They had a few coopers but not the configuration I wanted so I will have to order. They had a .280 there in wood and blue that was sold on tuesday (good thing because I might have bought it) with a factory shot target of three shots that looked like one shot even though it was three shots at 100 yards. The rifle I am going to order will cost about $1700 with the flutted stainless barrel option, synthetic stock, and scope mounts. They are not controlled feed but I think i can live without that.
    Now I have to make a decision on a scope.

8nbait, just curious. Why the choice of .280 Rem.? It's a fine caliber but I'm sure you know that it is just a necked down .30-06. Nothing wrong with being different. You could use the venerable .30-06 and still shoot light 150 grain ammo if you wanted.

Thumbs up The .280 rules

Oh no, the .280 is much more than just a necked down .30-06. Grain for grain, it is much flatter shooting than a .30-06 and has more power at any distance than the .270. It is an outstanding round in it's own right. I love the .30-06 and have shot a lot of game with it, but the .280 is my favorite caliber.

My favorite round for most Alaskan game is a 160 grain Nosler Partition. Nothing wrong with the 140 and 160 grainers, but this one kills all out of proportion to it's caliber.

I have killed sheep, a mountain goat, many caribou, black bears, a couple of moose, a number of blacktails, a grizzly bear and other game with my .280. It has never let me down.

Only if I am hunting in the coastal brown bear areas will I normally have my .375 or .338 in my hands. 99% of the rest of the time, I will have a .280 with me. Wonderful cartridge.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Quote Originally Posted by Hawken54 View Post
    Oh no, the .280 is much more than just a necked down .30-06. Grain for grain, it is much flatter shooting than a .30-06 and has more power at any distance than the .270. It is an outstanding round in it's own right. I love the .30-06 and have shot a lot of game with it, but the .280 is my favorite caliber.

My favorite round for most Alaskan game is a 160 grain Nosler Partition. Nothing wrong with the 140 and 160 grainers, but this one kills all out of proportion to it's caliber.

I have killed sheep, a mountain goat, many caribou, black bears, a couple of moose, a number of blacktails, a grizzly bear and other game with my .280. It has never let me down.

Only if I am hunting in the coastal brown bear areas will I normally have my .375 or .338 in my hands. 99% of the rest of the time, I will have a .280 with me. Wonderful cartridge.
    All that plus some emotional attachment from my youth. For some reason the .280 hasn't gotten the attention that it should have. If set up properly the .280 has a point blank range out to 300 yards with over 1800 pounds of energy. I personallly don't think there is a more versatile cartridge for north america.

I'll add to the hand clapping. I've got both a 280 and a 7mm Rem Mag. If there's a difference between them in practical field ballistics, I can't find it. Simply not enough difference in their velocities to mean anything. But the 280 gets packed a bunch more because it weighs three pounds less. Hard to say which is more accurate. Both of mine will shoot right at or a little below 1" at 200 yards with several bullets. In both my favorited bullet for AK is also the 160 Partition, as it is in 284 and 7x57. I've tried the various Barnes, but they're never as accurate and don't seem to do any better on game. How much deader than dead can dead be?

Guys, thanks for educating me on the .280 Rem. I checked the ballistics tables and I see what you mean. Excellent all-around cartridge!