Thread: Sheep Questions

Default Sheep Questions

Just trying to get some info on where I might be able to hunt Dall Sheep without having to fly in. I can walk it in no problem and would prefer a harverst area. I've applied for the DS 102 area (Tok) but that's about a 3% success rate for a permit draw. Thanks.

These are so rare that it is unlikely you will get much information. I would recommend putting a bunch of research in. I have studied state topo maps starting with the gazateer and moving to the Nat Geo topo maps. Once I find legal areas that I think I might be able to get into I mark it on the map and go there to see it. If it looks good ( I will usualy check out multiple spots in 1 trip) I will begin researching the land ownership of the areas to see if I will be trespassing. It is a huge pain which is why I won't tell you where I am looking at if my DS XXX tag doesn't come through. Also check out google earth you would be amazed how much of an idea you can get about an area based on the topo and satelite images. Good luck!

-find a harvest area with few atv trail
    -start walking
    -glass
    -walk
    -glass
    -walk
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

What do you like to do with your free time in the summer? If you don't already do so, I suggest you take up hiking and climbing. Seriously, the only way you are going to find walk-in sheep hunting areas is through spending time in the mountains. Like the above guys suggested, start with a copy of the regs and some maps...then go hike, climb, and repeat. There are more areas out there than some would lead you to believe, but you've got to find them on your own and be willing to walk farther than your competition.

Red face example

Here is a real life example of walk in sheep hunting. I was caribou hunting and spotted two bands of sheep. One was a band of rams. I convinced two guys to accompany me into the valley the following season. We camped for four days in the pouring rain and hiked into adjacent valleys and saw exactly zero sheep. Those guys have now sworn off sheep hunting. I am not complaining and consider this a part of hunting and have hunted many times since. But walk in sheep hunting has a lot of competition for some very educated sheep. If everyone hunted on foot without the benefit of plane spotting we wouldnt need any further regulations ever. Good luck with your walk in sheep hunt and try to enjoy the experience!
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Step 1- Find someone that has had success (relatively speaking since its fairly difficult) with walk-in sheep hunting

Step 2- Offer to buy their rounds at a local pub

Step 3- Continue to buy until they get loosened up...and have a tape recorder in your pocket

Step 4- Ease sheep hunting into the conversation with lines like "...so where exactly does an accomplished hunter like yourself hunt?" note that the compliment will help the intoxicated individual feel better about themselves and will loosen them up even more

Step 5- Work your butt off to get into shape now that you know where to go, hike in (usually finding other hunters along the way), and get lucky by stumbling on some rams. (and cross your fingers that there is a legal one in the bunch).

Step 6- Go home happy (and probably empty handed) that you were in great country with the most majestic animal our great state has to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by sockeye1 View Post
    Step 2- Offer to buy their rounds at a local pub
    An important addendum to step 2 - buy good quality beer. Personally, if someone offers to buy me a Bud, Miller, or some other mass-market swill, I'm going to send them sheep hunting in some awfully unproductive areas.

The above plan has less chance of working than water boarding an Iraqi farmer does of producing Osama Bin Laden.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Wasn't sadam found on a rural Iraqi farm? Perhaps Iraqi farmers know more than you give them credit for.

On the quality of the brew, great point Brian.

most of the walk in areas i was famliar with are now drawing areas...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212