Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Got me a short Thumper

Default Got me a short Thumper

A wife is a powerful force and especially if she is a good person and has done a whole lot for her husband through the years. Well, Nancy has been that kind of person so she has a lot of power just because of who she is. I have spent a lot of money on trades and the last two custom builds (257-300Wby and 270-300Wby). She ask me not to builld or trade any more rifles for this next year. I said, I need a close up short rifle for Mississippi. She said, "OK, buy it but if you would, please keep your total cost under $1200.00 for rifle, scope and reloading dies and leave it at that for this year." So in light of my situation of wanting a standard thumper among my inventory, and I can't build one because of my agreement with Nancy (Was going to build a short 375 H&H). I needed a cartridge to do the short thick stuff. After much debating in my mind I have decided on the following. I have purchased a Remington Mod 7 CDL in 350 Rem. mag.. The Mod 7 CDL has iron sights on the barrel and I will be using a 2-7x35mm scope. This I believe will handle my Mississippi hunting being a short rifle that handles easy in tight places like in pine woods, uderbrush thickets and hard wood bottoms and is easy to operate in a tree stand. It will be good on deer and hog in Mississippi and also will be good for black bear in the ponderosa forest in the mountains of Arizona and the juniper thickets along the Eagle river that I hunt in the mountains of Arizona. I also think this 350 Rem Mag along with my 257-300Wby, and 270-300Wby as the three main rifles will allow me to hunt in any terrain from deer to bear. If the rifle does not give me 1/2" to 3/4" groups I will glass bed the stock, and freefloat the barrel. I am going to seal the inside of the wood stock against whether. This rifle, scope, bullets, brass, dies, and powder will cost me $1190.00 total. This does not come close to what I have spent on the other two rifle builds and then you add, bullets, dies, powder and such.

In studying the 350Rem mag to make up my mine it seemed to me that the 350 Rem mag case compresses more from the rear and not as much from the sides or the sharp angled shoulders as longer cartridges do. The short 350 Rem Mag is highly efficient and with WW748 out performs the 35 Whelen with 225gr bullets and does it with a 20" barrel even though their case capacity is all but the same. Charles Morgan who comes to our shooting range has been loading for one and gets 2712fps across the chrono with WW748 and 225gr Accubonds. Once again illustrating how the short not to fat not to skinny cases are more efficient powder burners. This will also allow the barrel life to not be an issue at all since the column of powder compresses more from the rear of the case causing less broken and un-burned powder from cutting the throat which shortens the life of a barrel. Two other powders, IMR4320 and IMR4895 are also powders that produce great results in the 350 Rem Mag when using 225gr bullets. As I have mentioned I have bought a Rem Mod 7 CDL in 350 Rem Mag and will use a 2-7x35mm scope on it. It will be a handy and powerful short mag rifle for pine woods, juniper thickets, and from tree stands while at the same time being light, easy to carry when spotting and stalking and can be brought to bare quickly on short up close shots with a whole lot of thump and not to much recoil. Pushing a 225 Accubond bullet at 2712fps with 59.2grs of WW748 gives 3673ft pounds of energy at muzzle and still has 2000ft pounds of energy out to 360yds. Sight in 2.7" high at 100yds, zero is 225yds and -6.3" at 300yds, hold on top shoulder good on deer size game out to 390yds. Yes, this will fill a nich in my inventory.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Just out of curosity and interest, do any of you Alaskan hunters or those who have hunted Alaska own or ever used a 350 Rem Mag and hunted any of the following: Deer, Elk, Moose, Caribou, Black Bear, Brown Bear, Mountain Lion, Sheep, BigHorn or any other large game?
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

sounds like a reasonable choice in cartridge as well as rife/scope combo. I always like to have iron sights on my guns too.

Let us know how it shoots. Sounds like your expecting some serious accuracy out of that big old bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    sounds like a reasonable choice in cartridge as well as rife/scope combo. I always like to have iron sights on my guns too.

Let us know how it shoots. Sounds like your expecting some serious accuracy out of that big old bullet.
    I believe with the proper load it will be under 1 inch. I usually like to get that out of my rifles and believe with enough work on loads and rifle that it is possible to develope a consistent rifle and load that I can always go to and know what I will be getting. Ditto on the iron sights when possible.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I have a friend that bought one a few years ago while he was in Texas. It is the gun he carries in Alaska but I don't think he has used it on any game yet. I'm sure its capable.

This is the gun my friend has:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=89518536

He seems to like it.

Default 350 Rm

A buddy of mine killed a coastal brown bear about 10 yrs ago with a 350 in a 600 Rem. He still hunts with it, with good success.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty_dog View Post
    This is the gun my friend has:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=89518536

He seems to like it.
    Thanks for the report and picture, it is a guide gun. Mine is a 7 CDL.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    A buddy of mine killed a coastal brown bear about 10 yrs ago with a 350 in a 600 Rem. He still hunts with it, with good success.
    There are faithful users, just not a lot of people down here have noticed them and many don't hunt other places. I think the 350 Rem mag has really flown under the radar. Thanks for the report. I bet with a 225gr or 250gr Swift that would be a real serious combination for such a handy rifle on bear or moose and large elk.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I have one based off a model 70 classic stainless action (former 300 WSM). 23" pac-nor barrel bedded in a featherweight stock. I'm currently doing load development for this rifle right now. If all goes as planned, I plan on taking a black bear with it this spring using 200-grain Hornady Interlock bullets. I got a Leupold m8 6x42 sitting on top in Talley LW rings.

beartooth,

Congratulations on your new rifle, hope it brings you many satisfying shooting sessions and successful hunting trips. I am a fan of this cartridge and the 35 caliber in general. I first shot this cartridge in both the Remington 600 and 660 versions; never bought any of those rifles because the aesthetics always put me off. Knew some Alaska Fish and Wildlife Troopers that carried these as their bear protection for years. I also had first-hand knowledge of the effectiveness of this caliber as I was present when a lady took a real good brown bear with one on Kodiak in the late 70s.

I finally purchased a .350 Remington Magnum in a Remington Model 700 BDL, when I found one used in 1983. I didn't bother handloading for this cartridge then, just shot factory loads using the 250 grain PSP Core-Lokt bullet at a MV about 2400 fps (if I remember correctly) with acceptable hunting accuracy. It was never my go to or back-up rifle (.375 H&H) and only used it occasionally around camp for a few years. It did account for one cow moose and a smallish problem bear. I ended up using this rifle as a donor for a custom build for a wildcat .338-350 RM. (Not too many of them around).

Somewhere along the line, I moved this one along, but, I always wanted to try another 350RM. I ordered one in the Model 7 CDL as soon as they were announced in the 2006 Remington catalog. The only other Model 7 I have owned is an AWR in .300RSAUM. Even though the CDL was wood and blue I wanted it because it was so pretty and had open sights. I planned on using it on spring BB. Took delivery in April, 2006, too late for that season. Real good looking rifle, mounted a Leopold VXIII 1.5-5 x 20mm w/ Talley quick detach. I never really bonded with that rifle, little heavy for my tastes, especially butt heavy, barrel 20" too short, didn't care for the muzzle flash. R3 recoil pad did a good job of soaking up the recoil. I found the magazine well too short to shoot my preferred 250 gr Nosler partitions or Swift A-frame handloads. Wasn't interested in hunting with any lighter bullets. Kept that rifle strictly stock. Only achieved so-so accuracy. I am a big Remington fan but finally realized that I prefer 700s to 7s.

Anyways, I sold the Model 7 and bought a Ruger 77 stainless synthetic 22" barrel in 350 RM. Took it straight away to my gunsmith for trigger job, blueprint and bed the action, set barrel back, recut, recrown and float barrel. Moved this one along to a friend before I ever even shot it and replaced it with a Kimber Montana in 325WSM. Mostly due to the lighter weight of the Kimber and to try something different. Short handy thumper is an accurate depiction of the Model 7 in 350RM and this caliber definitely has its applications and supporters. The 350RM was sure ahead of its time.

I think if I was to do a 350 short mag again I would go with a .35 Sambar (based on a WSM) to get rid of the belt and increase powder capacity. Especially intriqued by the .358 Nukalpiaq, waiting patiently on its development. I don't even own any big bores anymore, actually don't mess with the boomers much, but, I still own one .358 STA and may build one more .358 Norma Mag someday. I've reached the point where .35 caliber provides as much horsepower as I need. .

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Yes, I like the 35's very much. Owned and shot a 35 Whelen for years. I have a friend who is loading sucessfully the A-Frames in 225 and 250 in a Mod 7 CDL and getting very good velocity and accuracy. Watching and shooting his 7 CDL is the reason I have bought one. I think the 350 Rem Mag is so well balanced and I like the belt for different reasons. It is a 35 that is not to much or to little. I will have to agree with many who have said that the 350 Rem Mag has flown under the radar for to long.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Smile Ol' post of mine

still useful... still holds true.

http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/akf...ting/11030.htm

Default Bullet length/twist?

Sounds Ideal, when you get round to reloading for that thing I would be interested to know how long the magazine box is and what COL you use for those accubonds. They are long bullets, can you seat them .03 from the lands for example? I use 250 round noses in my .35 gibbs and they hit hard. I have a 1-12 twist. I have read that the 1-16 of standard .35 cals sometimes won’t stabilise long bullets. I would be interested if you could post your accuracy results when done. Regardless with the right bullets the 350 is a hammer!

Good luck

Default Bullet Choice

The bigest problem with the 350 RM is the bullet choice. If the bullet gets too long in order to get the proper Cartridge Overall Length( IN THE SHORT MAGAZINE); The bullet has to be shoved farther into the case limiting powder capacity(and velocity). Therefore Barnes bullets with their lighter alloy need to be seated deeper still. Consider a round nosed bullet like A-Square,Woodleigh,Bitteroot,or other premium brand.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Yeah I'm thinking the Accubonds might be a bit too long for the 350 Rem. Mag.

Well my friend is getting great results with his. I am sure I will find out. I can't wait to reload and shoot it and see what I can do the best with.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Richardson View Post
    I read your post and much is not covered and conclusion is a little biased. Here is one good article you and others might like to read.

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/reloads/magnum_1215/
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

A little negative press. I think that the ballistics of this one put it squarely in the 35 whelen/338-06 class. If twist rate/magazine box length is an issue you could look for a bullet with the caliber-width point on the ogive further forward or a round nose. Up to 200-250 yds the difference in trajectory of RN vs Spitzer is not worth thinking about and at those velocities, particularly with a 250gn you might be better of with bullet that opens up a little quicker than a Barnes or a bonded bullet. I have never used a .350 but a light handy model 7 with quick detach rings/ open sights shooting a 250NP or HNdy HNDY RNIL at around 2550 sounds just the ticket for a sub 200 yd hammer. You might be on to something!

Quote Originally Posted by 35gibber View Post
    A little negative press. I think that the ballistics of this one put it squarely in the 35 whelen/338-06 class. If twist rate/magazine box length is an issue you could look for a bullet with the caliber-width point on the ogive further forward or a round nose. Up to 200-250 yds the difference in trajectory of RN vs Spitzer is not worth thinking about and at those velocities, particularly with a 250gn you might be better of with bullet that opens up a little quicker than a Barnes or a bonded bullet. I have never used a .350 but a light handy model 7 with quick detach rings/ open sights shooting a 250NP or HNdy HNDY RNIL at around 2550 sounds just the ticket for a sub 200 yd hammer. You might be on to something!
    35gibber, I am with you 100% on quick detach rings/ open sights shooting 250NP at around 2550 sounds just the ticket for a sub 200yd hammer. I think with the right loading and trials it might even fall in a better class than just 200yds when using a 225gr bullet but I really believe this cartridge in the Mod 7 is going to be a quick to use and one real effective hammer.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast