Thread: Night Vision Scopes

Default Night Vision Scopes

Hello all, i just had a question for you guys. Are there any regulations on owning or selling night vision scopes?? I dont know where to begin on where to search. thanks

No regs on owning or selling, but you can't use them for hunting.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

All you need is lots o' money! Cabelas actually has a good selection of night scopes.

When I was in the military we either had Gen II or III I cant rememeber wich. Those were okay. I Bet Gen I scopes arent very good. THose are the oldest technology as well as the cheapest.

BTW you might be able to use them for furbearers. Look in the trapping regulations to make sure though. But you would have to whack alot of fur to make it worth owning the scope.

Also head over to predatormasters.com. Lots of info there about night vision stuff written by people who use it for hunting.

nice, i was just curious and wanted to go the short route instead of researching myself. thanks

I used Gen I & II scopes in the Army. If you want to know what a Gen I scope picture looks like, tune your TV to a non-existant channel where you have nothing but "snow", now adjust the color controls so that everything is pure green. If you superimpose that image over a black and white of what you're looking at in the woods, you have the basic picture quality of a Gen I NV scope. It is very difficult to make out detail when everything blends together. You might not be able to tell the difference between a moose and a willow bush... even if you are standing only 10 yards away. They are good for one thing, and that is spotting small lights. A burning cigarette can be seen several hundred yards away. A guy using a small red-lens flashlight can be seen a mile away. Vehicles can be seen many miles off. When you mounted that giant scope on top of your M-60, you could only count on using the scope prior to shooting. As soon as you pull the trigger, the muzzle flash causes the scope to "white" out and become worthless. So you transition to using the tracers in the darkness or call in some luma rounds to light up the target.

Gen II was a little better, but not by very much. The image detail was a bit clearer, but they still had the white out problems if exposed to bright lights. The package size was only a little bit smaller.

I got to play with some Gen III stuff post-military and found it was pretty good. The NVG units that I got to play with were fully light compensated, so you could walk from total darkness into a well-lit room and it made no difference to the goggles. Those were sweet. Never played with any Gen III stuff on a gun scope though.

If I were looking to buy a night vision product, I would cross Gen I & II off my shopping list and start looking at Gen III or newer stuff. The cost is considerable, but I wouldn't be happy with anything less than Gen III.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!