Thread: commercial Mauser safety

Default commercial Mauser safety

Does anyone know of a good 3 pos. safety manufactured for commercial Mauser 98's. I like the Gentry but due to differences between military and commercial actions I was told this would not work.
    ..."Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions." - G.K. Chesterton

It will work. if you go from the commercial side mounted safety to a 3 pos, you will need to change the trigger to one without the side safety and more than likely the cocking piece. If you get a timney sportsman trigger it costs about $40

If you go this route let me know, I need a commercial cocking piece cuz my military cocking piece isnt working. maybe we can work a trade.

Default Brownell's

I've never installed one myself, but I'm pretty sure this three-position safety fits the Model 98 Mauser.

Woody

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...0safety&s=#sku

Theres a gentry 3 pos safety on ebay right now. It has 1 day left and its at $125. save some money.

This is a rifle my dad was building before he died. He sent it to a smith to be re-barreled, had timney trigger and speedlock kit installed. He sent the smith a gentry safety to install, but because of the commercial action the smith said it wouldn't fit. The timney and speedlock kit are installed, but I would like to change the safety to a 3 pos.

You can do it. I have/ had a few different commercial mausers with both 3 and 2 pos safeties installed. Right now my 9.3x62 (commercial action) has a 2 pos. same set-up as the gentry.

On one rifle I did have to notch the bolt body a tad but otherwise had no problems.

If you still have the gentry, take the bolt apart and put it on, you might just be surprised. its real easy to do.

It will work. You will need to notch the bolt where the pin that prevent rotating seats into. You will need to "fit" (grind) on the bolt plug to make the safety work (try it without grinding first). It may not work with a trigger with a side safety, haven't put one one with that arrangement. It will work. Be patient in the fitting.

You might also drop Gentry an email or phone for his instructions on fitting. I am sure he will help you. Good luck.

Thanks for the help.

that gentry will work it may reqire some fitting for the plunger to work it locks the bolt when the gun is on safe you always have to fit the new trigger to the cocking piece no worry the next one will be a breeze