Thread: Shipping a boat from Lower 48

Question Shipping a boat from Lower 48

Has anyone have any experience or recommendation on shipping a boat from lower 48...in particular from the west coast? I would greatly appreciate it if you could recommend any particular shipping company, any pointers/pitfalls, etc. Thank you in advance for your time.

Regards,

yhc

Default Shipping Boat

I used American Fast Freight for a 9000 lb. 27 ft. boat and tralier. They did fine, no dammage. Easy to work with. I think they book space on Totem Ocean Express.

grizzeyes

sorry but I can't remember who I used. I did some research but when I moved from CAlif. I trailered my 19' to Seattle and had it barged up to Anchorge and it cost me $2,500 They damaged my swim step and wrote me a check for $300.00 I also believe some things were stolen that I know I loaded into the boat. My camo phone that makes the wildlife sounds and a steamer for cooking.

Default boat shipping

I used Northland Services, shipping out of Seattle last spring. Their #, 800-426-3113. For a 31' sedan the total charges for shipping were just over $4900. However, I'm sure the fuel surcharge will be much higher now. I also had to pay someone to build a cradle for the boat since there was no trailer. That cost was around $1100.00, and frankly I didn't get much for what I paid. In retrospect, I would have held off in shipping till I had a trailer available for the boat.
    The boat had a few nicks and dings when it got here, and it was entirely exposed to the weather since I didn't have it wrapped. It is a 30 year old boat though, so those things were minor. If it were new I would probably consider getting it wrapped while on its trailer for a little extra protection.

Just a thought, have you considered driving down and hauling it back? I did that last summer and saved a fortune (5,400 to be exact)

Default Thank you

Thank you for your feedback everyone.

And to answer Snowwolfe, yes I have thought about driving Alcan Hwy down and towing a boat back and making a trip out of it as an option as well. It's still open as an option but wanted to research what other means of shipping are avaiable.

If you have any other suggestion or recommendation, please keep it coming.

Regards,

yhc

There is a fellow here in Fairbanks who has a brother and some sons in Oregon. He goes down several times per year and pays for his trips by purchasing trucks, trailers. and motor homes and bringing them back up to Fairbanks to sell. Maybe you could get together with him to trailer it up behind a pickup or something. His name is Martin Stauber.

You can try the Alaska Railroad. One call and they can take it from Seattle and put it in Fairbanks.