Thread: It was -25 in the cockpit!

Angry It was -25 in the cockpit!

I am having a hell of a time keeping the inside of the airplane warm while I am flying. Is there some sort of AUX heater that can be plugged into a DC system that works better than the aircraft heat on a Champ? Thanks for the help

Drew

-25!! To think I was just considering putting a bug in your ear to find out if you would be interested in taking it up... Maybe I will wait till it is just a bit warmer!

Default heater

Mybe you could look into getting a Janitrol Heater installed on A/C. Don't know if they come with the A/C, or maybe you have to get approved to have it installed on the A/C, they work good.

Default pre heater

The simple math is that the heat exchanger in muffler is too small and does not have enough exchange time to bring the temp up much on COLD days. I have looked at a lot of options and the most reasonable is to fabricate a pre-heater to capture some of the heat off of one of the exhaust pipes before it gets to the Muffler/heat exchanger. I also insulated the snot out of my cockpit. I am hoping that helps too.
    Drew

the kitfox guys had a heck of a time trying to get enough heat off the mufflers. A few guys started experimenting with pot scrubbers (brillo pads). They pulled the heat shroud and put some pot scrubbers in there. This gives more heat exchange surface area and slowed the air down just a tad. The result was HOT air that kept the cabin nice and toasty. If anyone is intested, I can get the complete info on which ones worked best as several guys tried just about everything available.

I am VERY interested. Thanks. I think that LuJon is interested by default as well.

Drew

Dress Warm... Very few of the heat exchangers will keep you warm at -20....
    Tim

Looked into this, never followed through.

http://www.aircraftheater.com/index.php

No electric heater (that won't overload the electrical system) will make a difference when it is that cold. Your best bet is to make sure the cabin is preheated before you ever do the preflight, if the interior is warm it will go a long way towards helping the exhaust heat keep up with the temps. When I plug in my engine preheat I plug in a small heater setting next to my rudder pedals. Even at -30 my cabin will be +32 or better the next morning.