Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bethel area moose hunt

Default Bethel area moose hunt

Looking for a first time float hunt in the Bethel area for moose next fall. We are all experienced with canoeing on rivers but rafts will be new. We will be a party of four, three non-residences and myself. I got Michaels book and am already through half of it. What a great resource! It looks like the Kenektok and Kisaralik might be too much for us, but what about the Eek, Kwethluk, Goodnews or Arolik? How much experience is needed for these rivers? And is this good moose country? Perhaps Papa Bear has some insight. (I'll post on the rafting forum as well)

Default Goodnews

I found the Goodnews river in Mike's book too. Thanks Mike

Default closed

Most of these rivers are still closed to the taking of moose right now due to the moratorium out here.

Check the state regs, most drainages in Unit 18 are closed due to a moose moratorium. Might have better luck down toward the Nushagak area, larger moose population and still growing.

This is good information to know, I'll check into it. thanks fisherman and nukalpiaq.

Default Check the REGS....

The Nush is in Unit 17, if you're a non-resident the regs now state that non-res can't hunt within 2 miles of either bank. You don't wanna pack a 50+ inch moose over 2 miles, in my opinion....

goodnews is an easy float, although it might involve quite a bit of dragging in the fall. Didn't see anything close to a moose on the trip though
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default closed anyway akpm

goodnews is closed to moose.

Default moose hunting

Why in this gigantic state would a person from the city want to hunt in traditional native land. It doesn't make much sense to me!
    I tend to use more than enough gun

Default ???

Quote Originally Posted by waterrat View Post
    Why in this gigantic state would a person from the city want to hunt in traditional native land. It doesn't make much sense to me!
    Begging your pardon, but your post doesn't make any sense to me....can you clarify what you meant?

Default he meant you stay off his forefathers land

stay out of bethel and anywhere he might want to hunt. Right.... since all native people actually crossed the land bridge and are of asian decent, and since I'm asian I hereby give permission to all races to hunt anywhere they would like in the Great state of Alaska. I think this trumps his, (stay off native land garbage).

Default I'm non-traditional

Thank you BAR300 and I accept your invitation.
    I for one am completly non-traditional when I hunt in that I wear store bought clothes, use store bought ammo, store bought gun, and generally use a store bought motorvehicle of some sort to get me to my hunting area, when I am done hunting I stay in a house that neither me or my family built but I do however butcher and cook my own food most of which usally comes from the store, I guess I just wish I too could be of such purity that I only used traditional ways on traditional lands.
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

Default Dumb!

Hey waterrat: The human race has always taken lands from one another since as far back as we were physicaly capable of doing so. Native alaskans were no different. This whining of your rights, and people hunting on your lands is played out. Just be glad Hitler or some communist country didn't take over Alaska, where the native race would be completely wiped off the face of the earth, and if they did let anyone survive they would have no rights at all! Your comment was uncalled for, and you should expect this type of kickback when posting that crap on this forum.

Default Amazes me

This forum always amazes me how outdoorsmen and women are CONSTANTLY at battle with eachother. Keep it up and we can forget moose hunting all together.

Default moose should be managed for their meat value

lundy, just curious are you a resident of Alaska?
    mdhunter, didn't know the regs changed on the Nushagak, when did this come into effect? Sounds like a very interesting non-resident requirement.
    ak_powder_monkey, you are right about the goodnews river being poor on moose and as fisherman222 stated it is closed.
    Personally, I would like to see moose populations here in Alaska managed for their "meat value" rather than for their "trophy value.
    With the rising cost of imported food, wildgame meat is vitally important to everyone out here in rural Alaska. Can't eat antlers.

Default Ecology and Management of the North American Moose

Just wanted to add that if anyone is interested in reading the most authoritative book on moose management, here is the title.
    Just browsing and reading sections here and there throughout the book I found it to be very interesting, informative and educational.
    I highly recommend this book to every moose hunter that is concerned about how our state's moose populations are managed.

Ecology and Management of the North American Moose

Editor: Albert W.Franzmann, Editor: Charles C.Schwartz, Editor: Richard E.Mccabe

University Press Of Colorado , 2007
    Hardcover, 733 pages

Default Last Year I Think

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post
    lundy, just curious are you a resident of Alaska?
    mdhunter, didn't know the regs changed on the Nushagak, when did this come into effect? Sounds like a very interesting non-resident requirement.
    ak_powder_monkey, you are right about the goodnews river being poor on moose and as fisherman222 stated it is closed.
    Personally, I would like to see moose populations here in Alaska managed for their "meat value" rather than for their "trophy value.
    With the rising cost of imported food, wildgame meat is vitally important to everyone out here in rural Alaska. Can't eat antlers.
    I was responding to the original post, he said he's a resident but will have 3 non-res hunters with him. I believe the regs for Unit 17 (the Nushagak et al) changed last year, I haven't hunted SW AK for a couple of years so I could have the exact year wrong.

If there was an efficient way to have hunters donate any meat they don't keep to local villagers, that would help lessen the native/non-native divide. This is done very successfully in Africa and other countries, we'd need to proactively take steps on both sides to make it work here, too much hostility/resentment/pick your word at the current time.

Michael

lundy did say that he was bringing 3 non-residents on his trip. Anyway back to the no-res 2 mile requirement, I will check the reg book. I know some agency staff in Dillingham that can fill me in on the history of the reg change too. Thanks.
    I would agree with your comment about too much hostility/resentment and so forth over hunting rights and privileges, land ownership, etc.
    In our native culture, I have heard many times throughout my lifetime from respected Elders in our villages that if we argue over the animals they will disappear. I think what they were trying to say is if we don't work together and work constructively toward a common goal to protect and sustain our animal populations that they could become overhunted and then we would not be sustained by them. In some areas like here in Southwest Alaska there has been a lot of effort and sacrifice by the area residents to support increasing the moose population through the use of a moose moratorium. Some communities in the Kuskokwim area haven't had moose meat in their freezers for years.
    With the example you gave about hunters donating meat that they don't need to the people in the villages, it is a worthy idea and should be explored further. Like the majority of folks that live in rural Alaska I would prefer eating the meat over hanging the antlers on my wall anyday. Peace

Default Correction

I was just rereading my post and realized I made a mistake in my explanation. Let me correct it here:

In our native culture, I have heard many times throughout my lifetime from respected Elders in our villages that if we argue over the animals they will disappear.

I think what they were trying to say is if we don't work together and don't work constructively toward a common goal to protect and sustain our animal populations that they could become overhunted and then we would not be sustained by them.

Let me also add that we need to respect the animals by talking respectfully about them, so that they can continue to honor us as hunters by giving their lives to us. This is what I was taught by my grandfather.

Default well said

Nukalpiaq,

Very well said. Instead of arguing we need to pull together as a whole and find ways to help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast