Thread: Parking for Rex tail hunt?

Default Parking for Rex tail hunt?

anyone clue me in as to the status of parking up there near the rex trail head for doing an antlerless hunt next week? never been there and just want an idea what i'm looking at and how to go about it. thanks.
    That would be rex TRAIL hunt, not tail.....uhmm sorry.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I've heard that Clear Sky lets you park for $10.

I've seen folks park at the Trail head itself, which is about 3 miles from the road and easy to drive to.

I've parked at Rochester and stayed there for the nights on my hunts there.

Exclamation PM

Sent you a PM

Clear sky is free but your rig is right on the side of the road. I HIGHLY recommend calling vixie and jim at the Rochester. Stay a night in one of their rooms get up $8 for a home style pre hunt meal. Jim will point you toward the trail. Rooms last time I was their were about $70 and split between a couple of guys is well worth the expense. They let us leave our rigs there which kept them off the road and Jim even offered to plug our truck in if it got too cold! They are just Great People! My plan next time is to get there in the evening get the sleds unloaded and prepped so we just get up and go, then hit the sack get up get to the main house for breakfast and take off since the trail head is right behind their place. Keep your eye out for signs that say "rex trail" seems silly but you almost don't expect to see them. Once you are on the trail there isn't much for signage but you will go well into zone 4 before you can screw it up. Make sure you report the conditions when you get back I am hopefully going to give it a second try the first weekend of Feb.
    Stay warm,
    Lujon

Park at Clear Sky or Rochesters, the trail starts behind Rochesters. You will go through an area where there is a bunch of old abandoned cars and trailers. Then you will cross the homestead road. Then about two miles the trail will sort of fork, take the right fork. The left one will bring you back to the highway. About half way to the lake there will be a trail come in from the right. Going in you will probably blow right by it and never see it. That's OK, keep going. Just coming out, make sure you don't take that trail, keep right coming out. The people that own that land to the left trail get a bit touchy about someone using their trail.

When you get back there and start seeing Moose they will be grouped up. Please look them over good. Like I said they will be grouped up, so if you see one look around there should be more close by. Try and shoot only cows. By now the bulls have dropped their antlers, so they are legal, but we don't need to have bulls shot. The Bull to Cow ratio is good and we want to keep it that way. So look them over and shoot only cows, please.

Bulls are tough, Cows are tender. I really don't know if that is true or not. Always been told that, so I will say it now. Good luck, be careful. Rog
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

Default Rochester number

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Clear sky is free but your rig is right on the side of the road. I HIGHLY recommend calling vixie and jim at the Rochester.
    Lujon
    Hey Lujon,

You got a number for Rochester? Last trip up we parked at Clear Sky but like the sounds of the Rochester set up.

-Carnivore
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

I THINK it is 582-2354. I never called them my wife set up the reservation for me and she called 411 to get it (She spoils me). We had cell reception there as well in case wives need to be reassured before you head out I know mine appreciated it which is why she never has a problem with my hunting addiction. I don't know if you have done a winter bou hunt or anything before but it was recommended to me to warm the sleds up before bed and tarp the cowling over night. I loved my no-fog mask and my expedition mittens. I posted a bunch of stuff in the gear section on my trip. good luck and pm if you have any questions or to tell me where to find em when you get back!!

That is the number:
    Mile 280.1/77.9: Rochester Lodge 582-2354