• leaded sinking rope

16 44.44%
  • combo of rope

9 25.00%
  • i don't need any rope i just pull others gear

3 8.33%

Thread: Shrimp Pot Rope Poll

Default Shrimp Pot Rope Poll

So what type of rope to do guys prefer for shrimp pots?? Floating or Leaded(sinking) or a combo of both. Lets hear it. I want to get a idea of what the general shrimping population uses. I use all floating and anyone whose asked me knows why & i've tried to explain how i rig it. This year i'm going to go to a sinking(not leaded) bouyline and of course floating for between the pots. All right lemme have it what do you think.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default Combo

I am going to a combo this year. Last year I used all leaded and got hung up 3-4 times in coral. So this year it will be floating in between the pots, may 50 off of the last pot and 500 feet of leaded up to the bouy.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

My parents used to commercially fish for shrimp in the Sound before the oil spill. We had a setup of ~250 pots and 10-15 sets of rope to put the pots on. All of it was floating line, and we still use floating line to this day for our personal use pots. We've only lost one set of pots ever, which happened two years ago when a huge tree got wrapped up in our line underwater. Other than than, floating has been good to us. No need to mess with what works.

I used all leaded line this past season. Got hung up on the coral twice but got it freed both times. I'm going to go with a combo setup this season after going back thru the archives and seeing the different setups people posted. Thanks to all who share their techniques - there are some really intersting ideas .

So how do some of you folks feel about using these,
    Bouyline swivels (been using them myself) to keep the bouylines from twisting
    P1130004.JPG
    Pot spinners so the pots don't twist up the dropper(snoods) or main lines(if hauling singles) when hauling
    P1130003.JPG

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

I fished as a deck hand before the spill in PWS. 33 pots to a string 15 strings in all. We used floating line with a Becket every 12 ft. Lost 2 or 3 pots in the three years I fished it. Anchors and buoy bags on each end. Do remember three to four shrimp per pound for the larger size.

Default Sinking groundline

I use the sinking groundline for everything. I really should upgrade this year to using a floating line between pots to keep them from getting hung up. I just hate it when people leave too much floating line on the surface in a slack current, just waiting to snag someone's prop. Shrimp pots are less affected by it because of their depth, but in Southeast people will fish dungies/kings with the same line, then it can get ugly. I'm convinced that a lot of the 'stolen' pots we hear about down here (in SE) are the result of leaving too much floating line on the surface, or carelessly placing the pots, rather than actual theft.

Quote Originally Posted by AKJOB View Post
    I just hate it when people leave too much floating line on the surface in a slack current, just waiting to snag someone's prop.
    Do most folks using floating line not also use sinkers? We use floating line, but never have any on the surface as we put 3 16oz. sinkers on each line between the buoy and the pots. That sinks the line faster and keeps it down if we happen to set in too shallow of water.

Quote Originally Posted by AKJOB View Post
    I'm convinced that a lot of the 'stolen' pots we hear about down here (in SE) are the result of leaving too much floating line on the surface, or carelessly placing the pots, rather than actual theft.
    Up here I'm convinced that most "stolen" pots are the result of not using enough line. I've found 3 different strings of pots floating in 1,500' of water. The line on each was no more that 2-300', and the average depth of most shrimping areas in the Sound is 5-600'. Folks trying to save a few bucks on rope tend to have more pots "stolen" than those who use adequate lengths.

I guess I should be clearer on all the line including buoy line and not just ground line. Coming off the anchor we used a short shot of floating line 25 ft or so, and then tied sinking line from there to the buoy bag so it would not float on the surface and end up in a prop. One reason for the short shot of floating line was that you would get a heads up when the anchor was coming aboard and be ready when it got to the block.

Default To be clear...

It sounds like everyone on here has a good setup with either floating line only on the bottom, or weighted down with sinkers. What I was referring to is when you see long stretches of floating line right on the surface, a 'prop-wrecker' if you will. Unfortunately yes, we see that a lot down here, primarily on dungie pot setups, but I also see it with king crab and shrimp. It's just awfully tough to see, and if they use too much line, there can be a lot of slack floating on the surface, a good distance from the buoy too.

Default Pot Spinners?

Pot Builder where would someone go to find these pot spinners. That looks like the answer to my problems. RIght now I have a bouy swivel on top of my pots, and spend a lot of time untangling my line. Also are you still building collapsible pots? If so I am interested in looking at them.

Quote Originally Posted by High_Pockets View Post
    Pot Builder where would someone go to find these pot spinners. That looks like the answer to my problems. RIght now I have a bouy swivel on top of my pots, and spend a lot of time untangling my line. Also are you still building collapsible pots? If so I am interested in looking at them.
    Come and see me at the Wasilla Gun & Outdoor show this weekend at the high school. Yup building pots every day.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692