Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PWS Snow Fall This Year

Default PWS Snow Fall This Year

Was just looking at site with about 14 web cameras out there. To me it looks like there is not a lot of snow out there. Knowles Bay looks pretty bare inbetween Valdez and Cordova. Of course over there at Johnstone Bay and Shelter Bay looks like not much snow. Even over at Port San Juan and up across the bay on hill side looks to be light on the snow. Then in Whittier looks to be the most snow but still not bad.

So has anyone been out there, like in last part of December deer hunting who has a visual on snow depth? From what it looks now might be some good early bear hunting, if out there doesn't get hammered here in the next couple of months. Plus maybe those blacktails are catching some relief for once. Just thought about it and happened to look those cameras over. Nice and sunny out there like here in Anchorage. Just thinking about those spring bears and if we will see them in April. Already made up my shrimp bait and won't be long and will start with the bear bait.

Just wondering what you all think.

We don't have much snow here in valdez, Maybe 2-3 feet or so here at the house. Out the road a bit towards the canyon there is even less, maybe a foot. I haven't been out at all, I'll ask if I see anyone who has. Hopefully the deer get some recovery. I wouldn't mind it if we got dumped on though, I sure could use the work shoveling.

Default Wierd

Where is the snow this year? I would have thought you guys would have been buried by now. We had about a foot of real fluffy stuff here in Anc and thought PWS would have been hammered. But sure don't look like it according the cams. I like snow, makes winter more enjoyable. But if it gives a crack at bear earlier than the last couple years I am cool with that. I am out there early april anyways, as long as ice is not a problem would make for some nice hunting. I was just surprised is all at the lack of snow.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Perhaps the lack of snow is mother nature's way of giving the deer a bit of a break over last winter. Its been talked about before but deer were pretty hammered in many parts of PWS last year- they could use a year of little snow.

Cannery Creek Hatchery, Prince William Sound

I live in the sound at cannery creek hatchery in the unakwik inlet and we have about 3' of snow. Hope it helps the deer. There weren't many around this year, at least in this area.

Default Wait

Wait till tomorrow. Might get another foot tonight and more on the way.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Last Year The Big Snow's Didn't Come Until March And A Slow,cold Spring Thaw Made It Tougher On The Herds Too.

We got about a foot here today. Glad it warmed up my pipes froze.

Default Honda

9 hp Honda, 28" path ------- let it snow. I need to get to my wood cutting lot with the snowgo. More on the way tonight. Radar shows us just on the edge of the heavy stuff.

The entire west side of the sound has lots of snow. Perry looks like a winter wonderland with lots of drifts. Evans probably had 2 1/2 feet on the dock when I was there last week. The further you go east around Hawkins and Cordova....less snow.

Talking 25

25" in two days. Not bad at all. Nice little dump.

Default Oh Well

A little more snow won't hurt. Just keep on your side Dave. Will have to check those cams on the weekend and see how much change there is now. Last years late winter snow produced nice bears for us. So either way it goes will be fine. Just the thought of the one spring when I missed three bears and the two guys each nailed one by or just after the 15th April and and we 13+ bears in 2 days.

Default just checked the cams again

Some of them have not been working since August 11th. But most have been and are up to date. Still does not look that bad out there. Ester doesn't really heavy, San Juan looks about the same. The hill sides in those areas don't look real pillowy with lots of snow. Still hoping it will be less than last year. I guess I won't really know until I get a first hand look myself. Time is flying by now.

Anyone have any idea or know how to find out what the total snowfall for Montegue was this winter.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

What's the web addy for the web cams? I'd like to see what it looks like out there....

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    Anyone have any idea or know how to find out what the total snowfall for Montegue was this winter.
    Take your boat out with a ruler. Then come back and let us know
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Take your boat out with a ruler. Then come back and let us know
    HA HA! I might consider if my wife wasn't due in two weeks! Then again I would be in Homer fishing for KINGS!!!! I HAVE CABIN FEVER!!

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    HA HA! I might consider if my wife wasn't due in two weeks! Then again I would be in Homer fishing for KINGS!!!! I HAVE CABIN FEVER!!
    There goes your fishing season
    Congrats... Is this your first child?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    There goes your fishing season
    Congrats... Is this your first child?

Nooo, number three........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast