Thread: RCBS Uniform Powder Measure v. baffle?

Default RCBS Uniform Powder Measure v. baffle?

The RCBS powder measure in my Master-whatever kit that I have has no baffle in it but they sell them down at SW (an upside-down V-shaped baffle). Would I want to use this when loading for .30-06? How about for .500 S&W mag? I assume the baffle helps maintain a consistent load of powder (weight) in the bottom of the measure and is probably intended for light handgun rounds ...no? Do I want this thing?

Thanks,
    Brian

Default Powder

I used one but always weigh my charges on scale afterwards.....until I got RCBS Chargemaster.......press a button.....is all you do.....sweet!

Default powder baffle

The baffle does make for more consistent powder flow, especially with extruded powders. Ball powders normally flow well on their own, but "stick" powder can bridge up, interlock with each other and make for inconsistent charges. The baffle helps prevent this.

I won't be trying it out until next weekend, but I went ahead and got the baffle and dropped it in... Can't hurt. The first powder to try it out will be Trail Boss (flake.)

Thanks,
    Brian

Them baffles should help with flake-from what I have gathered. I was considering a Harrell with there baffles, know they are spendy. With 800X it is a time consuming Lee Dipper thing when weighing for my G20.

Surely share what you have found with flake.

Will do. I'm waiting on my Hornady taper crimp die to arrive so I can properly crimp the Rainier bullets that I have and will be trying the powder measure out shortly thereafter. I'll experiment with and without the baffle, using that Trail Boss powder, and see how it goes. I'll update when ready...

Brian

Short update on the RCBS powder measure versus Trail Boss and Titegroup:

- Titegroup: Meters well with and without the baffle in the powder measure, and I was measuring small loads (11.5gr) for my 500S&W. All loads were measured with the tube mostly full ...takes a lot of rounds of Titegroup at 11.5gr to use up powder.

- Trail Boss: Meters reasonably well with and without the baffle. Without the baffle, I'd get a load that measured 12.7gr rather than the 12.6 that the others turned out. With the baffle in place, the error cut in half. Once in awhile, moving the handle down would feel like the drum was sheering the powder so I put those loads back in the tube ...only keeping those that flowed nicely. All loads came out at 12.6gr with just a few coming out just a hair high ...but less than 0.1gr high. Since TB is so fluffy, making 50 rounds used up 2/3rds of the tube and I didn't refill ...no change in accuracy occurred when the tube was emptier (baffle was in place.)

Personally, I'm very happy with the RCBS powder measure, especially with the baffle in place.

Later,
    Brian

Default Baffling baffles

guys, the baffle is ok for long extruded powders, but I use them and have never needed a baffle. it's a neat to have gadget.